Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [SAFARI] there's a way to eliminate favicons?

[SAFARI] there's a way to eliminate favicons?
Giano
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 03:53 AM

I don't like favicons in the "window" of the bookmarks menu...there's a way to cancel them?

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 05:52 AM

you might whant to try Safari Enhancer

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Giano:
I don't like favicons in the "window" of the bookmarks menu...there's a way to cancel them?
What's your aversion to them?

favicons are actually one of the better ideas to come out of Redmond in a while.

Humans are visual creatures - we go by what we see. It's a lot quicker for the brain to process an image and associate it with something than it is for the brain to read a word (or string of words) and make the same association.

It's the same basis that brought us file icons - you know immediately (via recognition) that such-and-such an icon represents a Word document, or a html page or a spreadsheet, etc., etc.

In the browser scenario, they make it easier to recognise sites by icon rather than name.

In fact studies have shown that icons rank second only to position as the quickest way to identify an item in a mostly-static list. Name comes way down the list.

So as much as you think you don't like them, you may well find that you come to appreciate them over time.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Giano  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 06:07 PM

i understand what you mean, really. My problem is only a "esthetic" problem...i don't like all the different color in my window...it's stupid..yes perhaps...but i am a Mac lover isn't it? i like performance and esthetic...
Then, you are right visual sign are better than letter, yes, but this can be not valid always...i use normally text view in finder, i like the fact that the finder is smaller and it's look faster, even if i know that it's the same....the fact is that i don't look to find the icon Home, i KNOW where is home...if in that palce i have an icon or a text, for me it's the same...obviosly icons are better for a novice user, but in MY system, in the system in which i know where things are i don't need TOO many icons... this is why i don't really like dock...dock rely too much on visual sign, you can't know where things because all move every time you launch anew app, or minimize a window so so you need huge icons that tell you "HEY I'M HERE!!"
( Last edited by Giano; Jun 14, 2003 at 06:30 PM. )

Giano  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 06:08 PM

ops
( Last edited by Giano; Jun 14, 2003 at 06:13 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules