Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes - Party Shuffle?

iTunes - Party Shuffle?
HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 05:53 PM

Someone please explain the party shuffle feature to me? Is it just a random group of songs from a certain playlist, like the library?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 06:12 PM

posting in the correct forum would be a good idea in the future.

iTunes party shuffle lets you have a select number of random tracks displayed that updates as the songs play through. You can rearrange the upcoming tracks to suit your mood (or the party's mood) and delete upcoming songs from the queue (something you can't do in random mode). You can also "take requests" by right/control-clicking on any song in your library and either adding it to the end of the queue or making it next in line.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 06:30 PM

The next step would have been to add a "party mode" where iTunes could take over the screen and permit anyone to add songs to the playlist, but not mess up your computer.

Nice for college parties...

hayesk
May 20, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
The next step would have been to add a "party mode" where iTunes could take over the screen and permit anyone to add songs to the playlist, but not mess up your computer.

Just make a "party" user and let that user have access to your iTunes library.

Silencer
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 07:48 PM

They just need a simple Enqueue function.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Silencer:
They just need a simple Enqueue function.
"Enqueue"? If you mean add that song to the queue...is a right-click so hard?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

bobthecannibal
May 20, 2004, 10:27 PM

I believe what silencer is saying is that Itunes needs an enqueue function seperate from the party shuffle such as the one found in winamp with the simple ability to right click to enqueue a song in the libary.
currently being converted from pc to mac

Silencer
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by bobthecannibal:
I believe what silencer is saying is that Itunes needs an enqueue function seperate from the party shuffle such as the one found in winamp with the simple ability to right click to enqueue a song in the libary.
Yeah, this is what I meant, if apple just implemented a simple enqueue where you could select an order of songs like Winamp does, no need for a new playlist or anything, just saves you from scrolling to the next song and clicking play before the old song ends, and when you have 4000+ mp3's to scroll through its not too much fun.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 11:11 PM

why the crap can't i party shuffle off my ipod? is there some reason for this? anyone know of any third party thingies that might make this happen?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 02:55 AM

Probably because they'll add it as a feature.

One of the features I like BEST about party shuffle is that you can have higher rated songs play more often. I REALLY like this feature. It means I get a good mix, but I get more of the stuff I love verses the stuff that's good now and then. It's one of those features that early on you're like... it's like random... but with it's own side bar item. That said, it is a useful feature and it expands on the way I was using iTunes before. Hence, I love it.

tavilach
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Probably because they'll add it as a feature.

One of the features I like BEST about party shuffle is that you can have higher rated songs play more often. I REALLY like this feature. It means I get a good mix, but I get more of the stuff I love verses the stuff that's good now and then. It's one of those features that early on you're like... it's like random... but with it's own side bar item. That said, it is a useful feature and it expands on the way I was using iTunes before. Hence, I love it.
I couldn't have said it better, myself. Prior to this feature, would either have to listen to only 5 star songs, or to 4 and 5 star songs. I have more 4 star songs, though, so they played more often than the songs I really wanted to hear. This solves my problem!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

Yeah, and it could have a built-in piece of plastic that will beer-proof the keyboard when you turn it on too. Great for college parties.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 10:09 AM

It's not perfect though. I've had the same song play back to back one time. Not cool.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 07:05 PM

Did you have two copies of that song?

By the way anyone else think it's kinda an expose like feature? You never knew how much it was stupid that you didn't have it till you got it?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 07:11 PM

Just make a "party" user and let that user have access to your iTunes library.
This is exactly the right answer. Make the Party user, set iTunes as a Startup item, set it up so they can run nothing but iTunes, and turn on the Simple Finder.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules