Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bose Wave Technology Question

Bose Wave Technology Question
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 11:08 PM

I have a question about the Bose Wave Radio. How large does the Wave Guide need to be, in terms of the diameter, length, and size of the speaker, to produce high quality sound? Is it possible to produce an extremely narrow wave guide, e.g. 1/4 or 1/8 inch diameter? Is there a reference available where I can get background information about the technology?

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 08:18 AM

Wave Guide is just Bose's fancy name for transmission line speakers. Google it.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 09:55 AM

Based on the tone of your question I assume you're looking to make your own? Unless you have an audio engineering degree you have an insurmountable task ahead of you.

Horns deliver lower freq but nothing beats the thump of a direct radiator. Look up bent horn technology and see if you can find any whitepapers by David Gunness. The company I formerly worked for and where Dave reigns supreme, EAW, is an icon in gut-wrenching LF subwoofers (KF940 SuperSub for one).

Bose...

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 12:19 PM

Actually, I was looking at how large the 15" and 17" Powerbooks are, and wondered if you could fold a long wave guide in it to get high quality speakers. If it could be a 1/8 inch diameter, then you could get about a 12 foot length guide. From looking at the Bose Wave Radio, it seems like you could build something similar into an iMac. But I wanted to know if you could reduce the cross section of the guide to fit into a Powerbook.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 8, 2005, 04:33 PM

A wave guide isn't a tube, it's a folded resonance chamber, basically. Length isn't everything, and I don't think it'd be even remotely possible to get any kind of real bass from a tube that small.

tooki

P.S. Bose didn't invent it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules