Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac delivery times

imac delivery times
firewired
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 11:44 PM

Could you all please post when you receive your imacs as you receive them, as well as when you ordered, and in which configuration?

I hope others like me that are still waiting would find it interesting to see if the delivery dates are getting longer, and for which model. Very scary hearing rumors of a 19 week backlog.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by firewired:
<STRONG>Very scary hearing rumors of a 19 week backlog.</STRONG>
I don't see it as scary. I think that's a great thing. Means the little guys are VERY popular. Heck, even my parents want one after seeing that new iMac commercial on the television last night.

I kindly reminded them that they still owe me a Dual Ghz Powermac though

Anyway, the 800MHz Models aren't that hard to get, but the middle and lowend are. I don't even think the Lowend model is shipping yet.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

firewired  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 12:43 AM

From what I have read (I think it was either cnet or zdnet) they mentioned problems with production of the display, more so than the great demand.

It still would be interesting to see when people that are receiving their imacs ordered them.

NewsHound
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2002, 02:11 AM

I ordered my iMac G4 800 from Outpost.com on Feb. 26 because they had them in stock. I received it Feb. 28.

Before that, I had an order in at MacZone. When I first ordered Jan. 31, I was No. 350 in line. When I canceled Feb. 28 (I waited until the new machine was IN my living room), I was no higher than No. 200.

That's my story.

-NewsHound
Exit, pursued by a bear.
--'The Winter's Tale,' Shakespeare

lb4runner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 11:33 AM

Ordered from Apple Store online Jan 11.
Shipped Feb 28 and recevied March 7.

maverick24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 11:58 AM

Ordered 1GB 800 from the Apple Education store on January 31. Shipped 3/3 via ground and took delivery on 3/6. Was quoted 5 weeks, came in 4 weeks, 6 days.
Fantastic machine...Believe me....it's worth the wait

Justin D'Onofrio
Mar 10, 2002, 08:40 PM

Ordered mid-range 700/Combo/stock RAM on Feb 18th via Apple Education (for K-12 Institutions, FWIW) and it shipped March 7th.
w00t! Should get it tomorrow! Too bad I cant keep it for myself!!!

-- justin

cokemin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 01:09 AM

Ordered one 800 mhz from apple store on line (Feb18)
It seems forever to get it.
I should get 800Mhz g4 desktop

Brooks Seymore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 02:56 AM

<STRONG>Could you all please post when you receive your imacs as you receive them, as well as when you ordered, and in which configuration?

I hope others like me that are still waiting would find it interesting to see if the delivery dates are getting longer, and for which model. Very scary hearing rumors of a 19 week backlog.</STRONG>
I ordered an iMac/700 on 02/23 from the Apple Store and just received an email saying it shipped from Rancho Cordova, CA at around 8:30 tonight.

Its a stock machine, so I'm not sure why its coming from California. Not that I mind.

- Brooks

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Brooks Seymore ]

HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2002, 03:08 AM

I ordered a imac 700 g4 cd-rw from the apple education store on january 10th and havent heard anythign yet. I want it so bad. need OS X
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2002, 03:10 AM

<STRONG>Could you all please post when you receive your imacs as you receive them, as well as when you ordered, and in which configuration?

I hope others like me that are still waiting would find it interesting to see if the delivery dates are getting longer, and for which model. Very scary hearing rumors of a 19 week backlog.</STRONG>
I ordered my 800MHz iMac from MacConnection on January 8. It arrived on March 8. Two months of waiting -- argh!

Anyway, it's here, and it's awesome. Don't give up yet -- this is a machine you will appreciate using for years, methinks.

Cheers,

Jared
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

tonyibook
Mar 12, 2002, 04:44 AM

I ordered the base model 700MHz CD-RW iMac on the 9th of January, with an estimated delivery quoted of 7 to 10 weeks. The order was processed on the 12th of January. I have now been told it will ship approximately 60 working days after the order was processed.

So with any luck my machine will ship on the 6th of April and I should see it about 13 weeks after placing the order.

I hope it is worth the wait.....

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2002, 10:54 AM

Ordered Feb 6th. 800MHz. with 1 DIMM 512 RAM. from Apple store. Checked today and it is still being assembled. Tomorrow makes 5 weeks.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2002, 11:49 AM

Ordered January 31. Shipped March 4th. Arrived March 6th.

-I love it.

Pauli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 11:55 AM

I've read about the iMac shortages, but at least here in France many resellers seem to still have stock (the new iMac started selling Feb. 15), and indeed all the European online Apple Stores report immediate availability for the high-end iMac.

Maybe Apple is shipping most of the iMacs to non-U.S. markets at the moment, to ensure a successful launch? (Apple sure could use one here, and their new ad campaign seems quite aggressive - it wouldn't be such a great idea to have an iMac poster at every bus stop if they couldn't ship a single machine for months..)

Pauli

mchladek
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by NewsHound:
<STRONG>
Before that, I had an order in at MacZone. When I first ordered Jan. 31, I was No. 350 in line. When I canceled Feb. 28 (I waited until the new machine was IN my living room), I was no higher than No. 200.

-NewsHound</STRONG>
How did you find out what number you were on the list. I ordered a combo from MacZone and whenever I ask them where I am on the list they tell me the don't have a waiting list, they ship to those whomever ordered first.

I ordered on Jan. 23 and no word whatsoever. Hopefully I'll be getting it soon. My luck it'll ship in two weeks while I'm away on Spring Break and will have to wait an entire week while it's just sitting in my dorm's lobby. Oh well, I guess I've waited nearly two months now, another week won't hurt.

Armando
Mar 12, 2002, 12:53 PM

Ordered my 800Mhz G4 iMac from JandR.com on Jan. 18th and received delivery of it on Feb. 18th - took 3 weeks, 6 days. I'm addicted to my new iMac! It's worth the wait everybody!

MarMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 02:20 PM

Ordered the 800Mhz iMac with 1 512MB Dimm on 2/9 from the Apple Store.

Still waiting...

java
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 02:57 PM

Orderer a combo drive on Jan 23 with 512MB RAM, would have received it last friday but customs held it for 3 days because apple forgot to send the paper work with it. FINALLY got it today!(march12) But no time to open it yet.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: java ]

bud lande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 04:35 PM

Ordered my Imac 800/512M Ram Feb 6, recieved today if anyone would have been home, guess I'll pick it up on the way home....

NewsHound
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by mchladek:
<STRONG>

How did you find out what number you were on the list. I ordered a combo from MacZone and whenever I ask them where I am on the list they tell me the don't have a waiting list, they ship to those whomever ordered first.</STRONG>
They have to have a list to know who ordered first.

When I ordered, my rep told me "You're No. 345. Write that down." Then, every time I'd call in to check on the order, he'd say something like "We got in 60 this week and shipped them out." So I just did the subtraction. After that first time when the guy told me my number, no one ever gave me an official update -- I was just doing the math.

edit: typos

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: NewsHound ]
Exit, pursued by a bear.
--'The Winter's Tale,' Shakespeare

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by bud lande:
<STRONG>Ordered my Imac 800/512M Ram Feb 6, recieved today if anyone would have been home, guess I'll pick it up on the way home.... </STRONG>
Who did you order from? My Feb. 6, order is still being assembled.
iPhone 4

bud lande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2002, 01:09 AM

Sorry, got mine from the Apple store online, I thought it was pretty hard to get one with the one 512M in the internal, or did I not say that. I was tempted the two times people said that outpost had them, but I wanted the full warranty and internal slot full.

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2002, 02:10 AM

My order is from the Apple store also, with 521MB. They must like you better than me. I do have my 512 MB for the external slot sitting on my desk ready to go though.

Fletch
iPhone 4

mmb568
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2002, 12:57 PM

I've had an 800MhZ iMac on order with CDW since Feb 26th. When I called yesterday, they said they're expecting a big shipment to arrive Mar 21 and that it's very likely I would get it from that group. Being the impatient sort, I decided to go to my local Fry's Electronics, just to see if they got something in. Lo and behold they had 3 boxes sitting on the floor next to the display: 2 were 700Mhz models with the combo drive and one was the 800 Mhz model. Needless to say, I took a quick glance around, grabbed the nearest sales agent and made a bee-line for the cash register!

mpic
Mar 13, 2002, 01:27 PM

I ordered mine on jan 18th and didnt recieve it until feb 28 i think. fairly long wait i'd say? i ordered a 700 combo drive stock.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]iMac G5 1.6GHz 768MB ram Dual Monitors
Powerbook Lombard 333Mhz[/FONT]

sachs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2002, 03:58 PM

My new iMac: ordered Jan. 12, received Feb. 28 (as predicted!) from MacWarehouse Canada. 800MHz with 512 RAM. They're OK by me.
new iMac 800/512 X.1
original PowerBook G3 250/160 9.1

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2002, 02:52 AM

I recived an email from the Apple Store today. My iMac has shipped!!!
Fletch
iPhone 4

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2002, 12:34 PM

So are the guys who ordered from other than an Apple Store still generally waiting?

Moosecat
Mar 14, 2002, 01:13 PM

I'm still waiting. I ordered from MacConnection.com on Feb. 15, and have heard varying expected shipment dates. They have ranged from the first prediction -- March 8 -- to the most recent prediction -- March 22. At some point in there, they threw in March 28, which would suck.

Now that I've read the article on news.com about Apple favoring their own retail stores, I'm a bit irritated -- not so much at MacConnection as Apple.

java
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
<STRONG>So are the guys who ordered from other than an Apple Store still generally waiting?</STRONG>

I ordered from apple store, and am using it happily now.

I ordered Jan 23, combo, with 512m , would have recieved it Feb 7th if damm customs hadn't held it for like 3 days because apple forgot to send the right paper work with it.

It looks so cool!!! Still getting used to a mac after years of PC use, so no idea where everything is.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2002, 05:19 PM

Ordered mine from Macmall on Jan. 20th with the free 256MB. Still waiting.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2002, 12:33 AM

ordered from apple the evening of the 12th of March... on the 13th, I recivied notice it shipped. midline model w/ standard 256 megs of RAM. I am overjoyed!! it'll be at school waiting for me, when I get back from spring break.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: cheerios ]
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

joshy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 01:03 AM

Ordered the combo drive with 512 SDRAM on 1/29, recieved 3/11. This little tyke rules, now I just need to get it to play the new Star Wars trailer........

HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2002, 03:44 AM

I ordered the low end CD=RW on 1/10/02 and i havent heard a damn thing yet. if i dont get it in two weeks I am cancelling the order, tossing a G4 chip and Firewire card in my G3 AIO and going with that, and getting a motorcycle instead. id love a new iMac but its not shipping and its getting nice out. the motercycle sounds more tempting every day.
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2002, 08:01 AM

Well, up here in NY we still have people waiting for 800 Superdrive orders from Jan 10th. Our local reseller has been totally ignored by Apple in order to fill Apple store orders. Understandable yes, but a very lousy way to treat someone. Especially after Steve promised resellers that the Apple stores would not hinder them.

As usual the reseller is too scared about "Ticking Off" Apple, so they just sit and watch their 15 year old business go down the tube.

I wonder if the fact that Apple has a new store opening in my city in 10 weeks has anything to do with not shipping to the reseller?

Apple would not do something like that to a loyal servent of 15 years. Right?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 12:38 PM

ComboDrive model, standard configuration.

Ordered 2/16 from the Apple Store online.
Shipped 3/11 - 3/15 :: From Taiwan via Anchorage and Indianapolis.
Delivered 3/15 @ 0837 :: That's a day short of 5 weeks.

Now she's sitting here on my desk at work, still in the box... And I have 7h 29m of my workday left (not that I'm counting). Damn, it's going to be a long day.

Sidenote: The guys on the dock opened the box. Nervy rat-basta'ads! I've been excited to open this box for 5 weeks now. Run to the dock and she's already open. In their defence, they thought she was for the place where we work and not somebody's personal property. It's still a great day.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2002, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
<STRONG>Sidenote: The guys on the dock opened the box. Nervy rat-basta'ads! I've been excited to open this box for 5 weeks now. </STRONG>
Opening the box is a experience that should not be denied anyone. The packaging is quite nice and I had fun opening mine just a few minutes ago, 5 weeks 2 days!

Fletch
iPhone 4

mstats
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2002, 12:16 AM

Ordered the 700 combo stock from Outpost on March 13th, no tax (N.Y.), free shipping. Arrived on March 15th. Plug and play. No resets.no dead pixles. WOW! Outpost currently shows the combo on pre order. I guess there's just lots of luck involved.

g3burns
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2002, 11:42 AM

I ordered the 800 MHz Superdrive model from MacMall on January 16 and received it on March 13. From reading these posts I think I'm very lucky - there are no dead pixels and no hissing sound coming from the speakers. MacMall's promotion included a free Lexmark Z23 printer and a 256 MB RAM chip for a $40 installation fee. I believe this offer is still available.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2002, 02:53 PM

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

I just got an e-mail saying my combo iMac shipped. Ordered it from MacZone Jan. 23 and should be getting it the 19th of this month. YEAH!!!

I can't believe I've been waiting almost three months for this thing. Time flies when you're waiting for your iMac. Although I'm sure the next five days are going to be hell.

Relan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2002, 09:28 PM

I order my iMac800/Superdrive from MacMall on Feb. 5. It is now March 16 with no end in site to the backorder wait. This is quite ridiculous. I disagree with all the Apple apologists in regard to criticizing Apple for this supply/shipment problem. This is absolutely unacceptable for a company to release a new product while failing to back it up with deliveries. I have been waiting 6 WEEKS!! and have been told by MacMall that it could be another month. They have only been getting in handfuls (read single digit shipments) and have thousands of backorders. Meanwhile the Apple stores (to those lucky enough to have one nearby) I hear have been getting shipments regularly.

I am no Apple basher either. I have been a MacAddict since 1994 and have been MORE than defensive of the company in the past BUT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2002, 10:55 PM

Relan,

The bright side to yours and my waiting is that we will most likely receive boxes that have had improvements since the line started.

Regardless of the positive posts, there have been large amounts of production, and QA problems. More so with the new QuickSilvers. It ain't just the shortage of LCD screens. So be patient, I'm actually glad I'm not getting one of the "first" ones.

I think Apple's biggest problem is the way they are totally shitting on the re-sellers. I don't care what the production issues are, or the business models forcast. You don't just screw loyal re-sellers without even an explanation. My local re-seller has been pushing boxes since the days of doom and gloom. Guess what? They have received 5 boxes since Jan 7th. They have over 100 orders for the 800 alone. Of which large portion are Wintel converts. You mean Apple could not find another 10-15 boxes?

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but to me treating people who have been at your side through the mud should mean something. if Apple feels this is no longer important, then it truely is a very, very sad time in history, and Apple is well on it's way to becoming just like that "other big company" we love to criticize.

Mark.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

fafnir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by glideslope:
[QB]You mean Apple could not find another 10-15 boxes?
QB]
Of course!
If Apple would deliver 10 boxes to this reseller, some other shop wouldnt get them. With this huge demand and perhaps some production problems its at the moment a zero-sum situation.
Beside this, Apple doesnt produce only G4-iMacs. And for the Towers and Notebooks you dont have to wait for...

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2002, 05:57 PM

Walked into the Apple Store in Tyson's Corner at 8:30pm on March 16th, debated a little with myself...then walked out at 9:00pm with new SuperDrive model. 30 minute wait...only because I was being indecisive

Greg

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2002, 12:45 AM

Three days shy of a two month wait from MacMall, and today I saw that it was shipped. I ordered the SuperDrive model with the 256 free RAM upgrade. What amazed me was that I didn't get an email from them and noticed it shipped 2 days ago - the same day that I received my second letter from them saying that hopefully it'll ship within 30 days.

hledgard
Mar 18, 2002, 12:24 PM

I believe that MacMall is about to get a large shipment, and things may really start moving at resellers this week.

Let's see, and hope!

Sincerely,
Dr. L

MarMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 10:29 AM

Ordered an 800 iMac w/ 512 (1 Dimm) from the Apple Store on 2/9. It arrived yesterday (3/18).

No dead pixels.

Screen may tilt a bit to the right -- I thought it was my imagination but since there is a post about this, I gotta check it out.

Speakers do have a low hiss (as others have mentioned).

To all of you still waiting --&gt; hang in there, it is worth the wait!

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2002, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Relan:
<STRONG>This is absolutely unacceptable for a company to release a new product while failing to back it up with deliveries...
... BUT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!</STRONG>
Chrysler PT Cruiser?
Ford Thunderbird?
At least no one is asking you to pay $5-10,000.00 over sticker.

Fletch
iPhone 4

cokemin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 12:26 AM

Orderd one from Apple store with 512mb/800mhz. (Feb18th)
Still waiting!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules