Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > WMV + QT= :) (Flip4Mac)

WMV + QT= :) (Flip4Mac)
Ratm
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:59 PM

Read the review about Flip4Mac over at MW. Decided to install and check it out for myself and verify if its what they say it is. Works beautifully and behaves like a QT compatible file format. The one thing I'd wish for is IV50 support. A way to save WMV files to your HD from within the browser plug-in.

I also have a few strange combined media files where the audio is Windows Media Audio 9 Standard and the video is DivX 3.11 (wtf!?!) The audio plays fine but the video freezes up.

Other than that I'm has happy as a school girl and have already purchased a license and trash WMP from my HD.

http://www.macworld.com/ Review
http://www.flip4mac.com

You can open files that use Windows Media Video (WMV) format versions 7, 8, 9, SD, and HD, as well as Windows Media Audio (WMA) format versions 7, 8, 9, Professional, and Lossless, within QuickTime Player and get all the same features QuickTime Player provides for standard QuickTime media files.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 08:23 PM

I just purchased a license as well. I had installed it several months back when I was on 10.3 but it didn't seem to behave all that well. But now that Tiger is out and Flip4Mac has updated their WMV Player, it seems to be much better and .wmv files play nicely on QuickTime.

viruscool
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 08:41 PM

Any news on whether this plays WMV10 files?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 09:04 PM

I just tested it on a file VLC reported as "WMV3" and couldn't play, but Flip4Mac failed too. Shame. It's a concert video by a Korean group that's pretty hard to find stuff by.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

viruscool
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

Just tried playing a HD video of Call of Duty for the Xbox 360 with Flip4Mac and it failed miserably, shame really, I was willing to pay for it if it could play HD videos like advertized.
Might be my system though, running 10.4.3, latest version of quicktime, iMac G4 1.25Ghz with 768MB RAM.
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I just tested it on a file VLC reported as "WMV3" and couldn't play, but Flip4Mac failed too. Shame.
I can bet 2e on that it's wmv3-in-AVI. Try WMV3Server (the only OS X tool I've seen to make wmv3-in-AVI playable).

Edit: You can also open the temp files (created in your home directory) in Quicktime and convert to something more Quicktime-friendly.
( Last edited by Jacke; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:36 PM. )

Ratm  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I just tested it on a file VLC reported as "WMV3" and couldn't play, but Flip4Mac failed too. Shame. It's a concert video by a Korean group that's pretty hard to find stuff by.
If you have a clip for a MMV 10 clip I'll be happy to test it out for you. There are a few bugs that they're working on--check out the forums of their site for further info. And the feature request are going to be included in the next update.

I have a similar file and if played it successfully

Same file, one in QT with F4M the other in VLC

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2005, 01:11 AM

My difficulty with Flip4Mac is that part of the purchase price goes to Microsoft (or so I've heard), and I have an ethical problem giving them money. I'd rather wait for VLC or Mplayer to reverse-engineer the codec. (And I have in fact contributed money to the VLC project.)
( Last edited by CaptainHaddock; Nov 11, 2005 at 02:00 AM. )

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 01:16 AM

the latest MPlayer OS X plays WMV files ...

EDIT; my bad, it plays ASF files only.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

tikki
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 03:28 AM

Windows media 10 on a Mac? Like that will ever happen. Well, not until Windows itself is on version 11. bastards.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Forum Links
Forum Rules