Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Couldn't resist... got a new car! {NIGHT PICS INSIDE}

Couldn't resist... got a new car! {NIGHT PICS INSIDE}
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:27 PM

It's so me, it's SICK!

I Love it! See!

Daytime pics to come.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 11:33 PM

Uh. Nice color I guess. Dunno if I'd ever buy a new new car since it's about the worst investment on the planet, especially with a brand like mazda, but hey. Glad you're happy. A friend of mine's GF bought a mazda 6, and she likes it.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:35 PM

oh rob, can't you be happy for anyone? it gets 32/mpg... geez

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 11:41 PM

(zoom-zoom)

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2005, 11:43 PM

The Mazda line is not only good, they put their U.S. parner, Ford, to shame for reliability and retained value. That's a "6," right? It's a good car. And they're made in my home town, Flat Rock, MI. Nice buy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:48 PM

I love my Mazda... it's the same blue!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:49 PM

very nice car.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:51 PM

I'm thrilled. thxall!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:57 PM

if you love it, then its not a waste of money. and thats all that really matters.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The Mazda line is not only good, they put their U.S. parner, Ford, to shame for reliability and retained value. That's a "6," right? It's a good car. And they're made in my home town, Flat Rock, MI. Nice buy!
It's a 3 I believe. In which case it is made in Japan. Fun car to drive. Well though out. Has had sporadic complaints of never really getting the advertised 32 mpg (much like 27).

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 12:08 AM

Mazda 3 got very high reviews. Nice job.

hayesk
Dec 12, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Uh. Nice color I guess. Dunno if I'd ever buy a new new car since it's about the worst investment on the planet, especially with a brand like mazda, but hey. Glad you're happy. A friend of mine's GF bought a mazda 6, and she likes it.
Some people buy cars to drive. Not to invest in.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
No, it's a 3. Hatchback.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk
Some people buy cars to drive. Not to invest in.
I buy cars to drive. But I don't want to lose about $15,000 in the first few years of owning one.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Well that's cool I guess. 32 mpg is pretty good MPG.

One tip: If you think you aren't getting enough light output, you'll notice you have projector beam headlights. You can VERY CHEAPLY purchase 9005 bulbs, spend 5 minutes with a dremel tool to remove a little tab of plastic, and plug them into your low-beams. POOF. 70% extra light output, and it wont' be blinding to other drivers since you have a projector setup to control the light.

Here's an article with a how-to:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

And here's how it looks:

The only reason it looks brighter is because I'm actually in the beam. If you're above the beam, it doesn't really 'look' that much brighter to anybody else but you.

9006= 1000 lumens. 9005= 1700 lumens. Muha.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 12:40 AM

Awesome car. Congrats

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 12:52 AM

Nice new car, love those new Mazda's.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 12:59 AM

That's a great car, KeriVit. Congrats!
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Volks
Dec 12, 2005, 01:29 AM

I don't like new cars. Insurance is way too much. New cars are too plastic looking too. Plus all new cars are designed to completely wear out in less than 10 years. What a ripoff.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Volks
I don't like new cars. Insurance is way too much. New cars are too plastic looking too. Plus all new cars are designed to completely wear out in less than 10 years. What a ripoff.
I kinda feel the same way. Even new honda interiors aren't as nice as they used to be.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 02:24 AM

Must be that time of year. I just impulse-bought an '02 Volvo s60 2.4t last week. Only had 19,000 miles!

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 04:00 AM

I love the 3 in that color. If the 3 had already replaced the Protege when I bought a car in 2002, I'd be driving one.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 04:17 AM

Mazda is a reliable car. You really have issues with cars in general.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Volks
Thats why I like older cars. Insurance is less, didn't spend alot upfront on it and as parts break, replacing them is cheap and the new part will last a long time... in the long term better bang for your buck, as long as your doing the work on it. And the older cars where built better then todays.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
love those new Mazda's.
no you don't!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Nice new car, love those new Mazda's.

Mazda hasn't been the same since they quit the RX-7. I'm still up in the air about the RX-8, though... The new 6 sedan is sharp.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
His problem with Mazda is that they do not retain their value. They never have and probably never will because of a)it's not a premium brand, b)all Mazdas before the 6 were kinda really cheaply built and crappy and not desireable at all. They don't have a great image, in Europe anyway.

The new ones on the other hand are really good.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
The RX7 was anything but reliable. As for 626s and proteges, whenever I see one with high mileage it's usually smoking like a banshee out the tailpipe. Who knows, maybe they've improved.

DarwinX
Dec 12, 2005, 10:22 AM

Congrats

I wanted to get a 3 so badly this summer but the insurance was going to kill me! (My one complaint about being young!!)

I did test drive one though, and it was by far the most fun car I had ever driven. You laugh when you hear zoom zoom, but it sure is true. Enjoy

And for added 2 cents, I do think Rob's light idea would look good as well.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 11:00 AM

I think the new mazdaspeed 6 is pretty hot. Are they going to shoehorn that drivetrain into the 3? Then I would definitely be interested in one.... used. Not new. But still. That would be a blast.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 11:39 AM

Well, the this is the first car I have actually "bought" in 8 years. I got sucked into the lease thing and once you get into those payments for that quality of car... it's tough to get out. Granted I had 3 Hondas and they hold their value well.

But I really enjoy this car. I have to watch my speed. It really does pick right up considering it is not a V6 as my last 3 were.

I don't have a problem with used but my woes with that F-150 were posted here. $1200 in 3 months and when I traded it, it was indeed of alignment, tires, exhaust somewhere along the line and a new windshield pump.

So in that case, used was getting me absolutely nowhere. Never mind 14/mpg.

Buying used off someone's 2-3 year lease would be cool, they generally take care of it, low miles and the depreciation is done. I know the Hondas I gave back were mint.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 11:39 AM

I Love blue. So it looks awesome to me. Will look forward to the day time pictures.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 11:41 AM

The RX7 was anything but reliable.
Amen

Nice car, KeriVit. I like the 3s and 6s.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 01:07 AM

opps

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 02:39 AM

The 3's turning radius is excellent. It's a nice little car. I'd buy one I think.
Congrats.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Railroader
Banned
Dec 14, 2005, 02:56 AM

I hope your car lasts you a long time with no problems.

It's always fun to get a new (or "new" used) car.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2005, 08:50 AM

Couldn't resist??? When I can't resist something it's usually a chocolate bar. That's what I can afford

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Couldn't resist??? When I can't resist something it's usually a chocolate bar. That's what I can afford

The couldn't resist was posting the pics, not buying the car.

acadian
Senior User
Dec 14, 2005, 11:29 AM

I test drove the Mazda 3 when I was buying and in the end it came down to that and the Cooper S. The Cooper won but the mazda is still a fun car to drive except I was not to keen on the "tunnel" style guages.
people ruin everything....

kannnichtverbotenwerden
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 11:48 AM

Be sure to change the oil after about 1000 miles or so. Sometimes the manual says 3-5,000, but man.... just google for people changing it at 1000. It's filled with metal particles.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 11:54 AM

Hey, I've got an idea: let's all stop buying new cars. Oh, wait, what happens when there aren't any cars left because they've all died? I guess we'll walk.

You new car haters need to get over yourselves. Used cars are like linux - they're a good deal if your time isn't worth much to you. I bought my Volvo new 6 years ago, it has run perfectly the entire time I've had it, and I plan on having it another 10-15 years (yes, they really last that long). I just got so ripped off. I can't believe myself. What was I thinking?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 11:55 AM

I have heard conflicting arguments about that, with hondas it is recommended at the first 5K since the factory oil has additives that help in break in and seating the rings, there was a 50+ page thread on the honda boards somewhere but the final outcome was stick with 5K for all the changes. YMMV.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
You new car haters need to get over yourselves. Used cars are like linux - they're a good deal if your time isn't worth much to you.

My feelings exactly, my cars have been less than 3 years old as long as I can remember, I am on year 2 of my G35 lease and next year I will probably get another G35. I don't have time to fix the cars and the way I see it, its just money and I work so I can enjoy myself, and what I like is a nice looking new car I understand if you can't afford it or cringe thinking of the loss when you drive off the lot, but thats the way it goes.

For me, I would love some older collectable cars as a hobby, but I wouldn't daily-drive an 80's beater just to save some cash.

KeriVit, Congrats on the new car -- Those drive and handle impressively well for the price!

kannnichtverbotenwerden
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Hey, I've got an idea: let's all stop buying new cars. Oh, wait, what happens when there aren't any cars left because they've all died? I guess we'll walk.

You new car haters need to get over yourselves. Used cars are like linux - they're a good deal if your time isn't worth much to you. I bought my Volvo new 6 years ago, it has run perfectly the entire time I've had it, and I plan on having it another 10-15 years (yes, they really last that long). I just got so ripped off. I can't believe myself. What was I thinking?
Ever heard of cuba? They haven't had new cars in decades, yet somehow they still have some. As for your used car statement, I bought a subaru with 130,000 miles on it. No mechanical problems and I'm at 190,000 now. I bought a honda with 205,000 on it. Now it has 225,000, no mechanical problems. There's a person at a honda forum with over 500,000 miles on his, original engine and it runs fine. Seeing as you bought a volvo, you should realize how long volvo's used to last, and how just because they're used doesn't mean you need to put time into them.

Look at it this way: If I purchase a used car with a clean body for $2500, I can afford to get an entirely new engine and transmission and tires/brakes/exhaust for hte life of the car for LESS than the price of a new car, by far. New cars are just a stupid investment. As soon as you drive off the lot, without damaging anything or putting serious wear and tear on anything, you lose 3-5,000 dollars. Then, in the next 5-7 years, the depreciation is also insane. You can easily lose over $20,000 on a $25,000 car. It's just ridiculous.

Again...for your volvo, you know how long the last. You probably spent over 30 grand on your volvo, and I'm sure it'll last a while. But had you spent $5-15,000 on a used volvo, you would have a car that was just as reliable, and have a ton of extra cash on hand in case something ever went wrong, which it probably wouldn't.

kannnichtverbotenwerden
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
I have heard conflicting arguments about that, with hondas it is recommended at the first 5K since the factory oil has additives that help in break in and seating the rings, there was a 50+ page thread on the honda boards somewhere but the final outcome was stick with 5K for all the changes. YMMV.
I have too, but I don't buy it. There's so much metal in the oil after the first 1000 miles... it's just scary looking.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
When do we get to see the daylight pictures? I'm very interested.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

kannnichtverbotenwerden
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
My feelings exactly, my cars have been less than 3 years old as long as I can remember, I am on year 2 of my G35 lease and next year I will probably get another G35. I don't have time to fix the cars and the way I see it, its just money and I work so I can enjoy myself, and what I like is a nice looking new car I understand if you can't afford it or cringe thinking of the loss when you drive off the lot, but thats the way it goes.

For me, I would love some older collectable cars as a hobby, but I wouldn't daily-drive an 80's beater just to save some cash.
You must have a lot of money to burn to be able to afford leasing something like that. Again, this argument that you dont' have time for fixing things is just an invalid argument. If you buy a honda with 50-100,000 miles, that thing WILL get to 200,000 miles NO PROBLEM if you take care of it. Sure, it'll need brakes, tires, etc etc just like any car, new or used. But that isn't the point. Cars today are generally just so reliable your argument is moot about having time to fix them.

KeriVit, Congrats on the new car -- Those drive and handle impressively well for the price!
How so? It's heavier than the previous protege, and apart from having some fairly wide tires.... eh... what's impressive? I'm not knocking it, just wondering what you're talking about.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kannnichtverbotenwerden
New cars are just a stupid investment. As soon as you drive off the lot, without damaging anything or putting serious wear and tear on anything, you lose 3-5,000 dollars. Then, in the next 5-7 years, the depreciation is also insane. You can easily lose over $20,000 on a $25,000 car. It's just ridiculous.
You can loose $5K on a 6K used car if you give it enough time...

Same can be said for anything, television, computer, clothes, etc. etc. Most major purchases people make except real estate probably, even that is sketch in a lot of areas. Do you buy used underwear?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 12:17 PM

We were really happy with our Mazda 626 until someone crashed into my wife in it.

Now we're extatic with our 2000 Passat.

Congrats on the new car. Mazda is serious about "zoom-zoom" they are fun to drive.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 12:17 PM

You must have a lot of money to burn to be able to afford leasing something like that. Again, this argument that you dont' have time for fixing things is just an invalid argument. If you buy a honda with 50-100,000 miles, that thing WILL get to 200,000 miles NO PROBLEM if you take care of it. Sure, it'll need brakes, tires, etc etc just like any car, new or used. But that isn't the point. Cars today are generally just so reliable your argument is moot about having time to fix them.
I don't want to derail this thread any farther, like I said that is what I enjoy in life and I have worked hard to be able to do it. As far as reliable, you are pretty accurate, anything newer is going to be pretty reliable depending on the make, the few older cars I had when in college were always breaking down, master cylinder here, alternator there, that adds up too, especially when I was on a fixed budget, It was better for me to budget $200 for a new car with warranty then to blow money on repairs. Now things have changed but I still have no time for my car to be in the shop, especially since I drive 80 miles a day to-from work.

How so? It's heavier than the previous protege, and apart from having some fairly wide tires.... eh... what's impressive? I'm not knocking it, just wondering what you're talking about.
I had one as a rental when in buffalo, I liked it and it was fun to drive, I didn't compare it to the protege but it handled well and was fun, esp. for the price it costs, thats all I said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules