Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb: photo menu page?

iWeb: photo menu page?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 07:15 PM

I just installed iWeb and have a question. With homepage you could create a menu page, for photo pages for instances. Is this possible with iWeb? I don't see a menu page or a blank page. I tried using the blog entry to do it, but the viewer has to click on the blog entry and go to that page and then click on another link from the entry page to get to the photo page. I just want a menu page for all of my photo albums. Any ideas?

kman

viruscool
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 08:44 PM

So what your saying is that in iWeb you can't have a page with links to several different photo albums?
If thats so then thats a bit of a bugger as thats what I was hoping to do with it.

Anyone else confirm this?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 08:50 PM

I've seen a few sites made with iWeb. On the homepage is usually a list of things on your site. About Me, Photos, Movies, Blogs, etc. When you click on the Photos title it takes you to page with Photos. On the sites I was on, it seemed that if I clicked on pictures the person had set up, those were the links for photo albums.

Maybe you aren't using the templates. Can't help more than that. Mine gets here next Tuesday.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 02:21 AM

I figured it out. You can insert another Welcome page (or any other page) and then delete everything. Then you can just add sample photos with links to your albums or you can add text or whatever. It would have been more intuitive if they had included a Blank page template as well.

It's really quite flexible once you realize how it all works.

kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 02:42 AM

Ah, one more question. Is there a way to mask an image with a shape other than a rectangle?

kman

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 03:01 AM

Pages has an icon in the toolbar called objects where shapes are found. Does iWeb have anything like this?

I think I saw an icon called Shapes in the bottom toolbar on the iWeb tour on Apples site.
( Last edited by kcmac; Jan 15, 2006 at 03:23 AM. )

viruscool
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 07:58 AM

Hmmm, so I could have a page with a preview picture for each album, then once clicked it takes me to a page with all the photo's on from that album in?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by viruscool
Hmmm, so I could have a page with a preview picture for each album, then once clicked it takes me to a page with all the photo's on from that album in?
Yeah, it works great. You just start with one of the provided templates, delete what you don't need and then start adding thumbnails. You can then make each thumbnail into a link to the appropriate photo album.

This seems like a common thing to do so it wouldn't surprise me if the next version has a Photo Menu page that automatically makes a thumbnail menu for each photo album page that is placed under it, similar to how the Blog page makes an index on the main blog page for each entry page.

kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Pages has an icon in the toolbar called objects where shapes are found. Does iWeb have anything like this?

I think I saw an icon called Shapes in the bottom toolbar on the iWeb tour on Apples site.

There is a shapes button, but I can't figure out how to make a shape into a mask.

kman

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kman42
Ah, one more question. Is there a way to mask an image with a shape other than a rectangle?

kman
Do it in Photoshop -- build your image on a layer, then delete the area around the shape you want, so the background is transparent, then save it as a .png file.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules