Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What's the best app for maps and directions

What's the best app for maps and directions
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 09:03 AM

I'm looking for an app to use on my computer or a stand alone device (eg. gps system) to get maps and directions. Ideally, I'd like to be able to enter 10 addresses and have the app plan the shortest route. If that's not available, I'd like to enter the 10 addresses and have the sites show up on the same map so that I could roughly figure out the order I should visit the sites. Then I could enter the addresses one by one to get directions from one site to the next. What would be the best app or device for this use?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 09:23 AM

This problem may be harder than you realize
Seriously though, I'm not sure... Google Maps ain't doin' it for you?

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 09:53 AM

The best online service that I've seen for my purpose is randmcnally.com. They have a Plan a Road Trip service that will let you enter a starting location, ending location, and up to 10 points of interest in between. It will then give you directions from one point to the next from start to finish. With Google Maps, I'd have to enter 10 separate searches which is a bit more tedious. However, the problem with this is that I need to know the order beforehand. So, is there a way to get all of the sites pinpointed on the same map so that I can roughly plan the best route, either in Google Maps or any other app?

Forum Links
Forum Rules