Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can I shut off the "DAAAAAAaaaaanggg" noise?

can I shut off the "DAAAAAAaaaaanggg" noise?
MikeSmith
Dec 16, 1999, 06:57 PM

Hi when I start up my computer, it always starts up with a "DAAAAAAaaaaannnggg" noise before macos kicks in
. I really hate it, it seems like I am at work booting Windows 95. How do I shut it up?

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 1999, 01:58 AM

Simple and unsatisfying answer:
Turn off the audio in the sound or monitors&sound control panel, or plug something into the external speaker jack.

More complex but more useful answer:
Perhaps you could fabricate something that connects the speakers only starting a few seconds after the HD gets power or something. I think a relay, a capacitor and a resistor as all this would take.

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 1999, 09:00 PM

I recall saying a piece of free/shareware that did this... I tried finding it but was unsuccessful; I can't recall what it was called. Anyone have any ideas?

disectamac
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 1999, 04:08 AM

I found somthing that might do the trick, it might be what Misha was refering to.

it's called Quiet Start

this link should take you there: http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/te...=MC13222&b=mac

if that doesn't work just go to.... www.macdownload.com then type in Quiet Start in the search box.

only thing is that the software release date is 1996...give it a shot see if it works

MikeSmith
Dec 18, 1999, 06:17 AM

disectamac, thank you very much. It's just what I was looking for. No more DANG for me!

Thanks to all of you guys who spent their time making my life one little irritation less.
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you very much

Mike

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 1999, 06:05 PM

Man! Just when I thought people would stop whining about small things like the mouse being to small on iMacs blah blah blah. You want to hear an annoying startup noise? Buy a Peecee... You've got to love starting up your peecee and endure a 5 hour harp concerto just to play games! Oh well...

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 03:31 AM

i find the sound to be useful in some cases, considering it is a sign that the ROMs are doing fine, considering the startup sound is on the roms. same with the sad/happy mac or flashing ? these are all little things that can help to diagnose problems.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

daleg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 1999, 11:57 AM

This is funny. I've been looking for this for years because my G3 and especially me 7500 are so loud starting in my home office, next to the bedroom! Thanks,
Dale Garrison

monospace
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2000, 08:13 PM

You can also put an AppleScript in the "Shutdown Items" folder that sets the system volume to zero, and another one that sets it back to normal (whatever level that is for you) in the "Startup Items" folder.

http://www.monospace.com/
You are visitor number one.

dante
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2000, 05:20 AM

Its better than "The Chimes of Death"
HaHaHa!!

todrain
Senior User
Jan 5, 2000, 11:23 PM

the startup chime was one of things that I missed the most when I was exiled to the PC world for a few years.

Does anyone have the sound files from the old Mac startup? (the "classic" machines had one chime, the IIs another, the AV Quadras were a little different, and Apple has used the PowerMac chime since 1993)

-Tom

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2000, 09:39 AM

Mike, I think DAAAAAAaaaaannggg is spelled with two n's, not the one in your topic line or the three in your post.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

IaninOz
Jan 19, 2000, 06:28 PM

Nahh, that's your American accent at work. International English requires 2 n's. No wonder we can't understand Bill Clinton (but then neither can Hilary!).

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2000, 07:12 PM

some years ago, a Mac of mine gave me the Chimes o' Death... with a RIMSHOT, no less... and lemme tellya that is NO kinda fun whatever. ohmigawd, that screen!! way beyond your average little sad Mac. i nearly choked on my waffles.

thought it was the m'board, turned out a memory module went bad. whew.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2000, 11:19 PM

The Mac start up sounds like a Windows pc?
That's the first time I've every heard that one. It sounds like a Mac starting up. Wintel boxes usually just beep when first starting up. Kinda like someone honking their horn to warn you of danger ahead.

XPressoBean
Jan 25, 2000, 08:38 PM

Help!

I bought my husband a G4/350 yesterday, set it up last night, and the first time he booted it the startup chime was great, every time since then THERE IS NO STARTUP CHIME.

He does not have the "mute" button in the control panel checked, and there is nothing plugged into the audio/speaker jacks, and there is no other software installed other than OS 9 and MS Office.

Any thoughts?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2000, 08:51 PM

zap the PRAM

dhdalpra
Jan 30, 2000, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by IaninOz:
Nahh, that's your American accent at work. International English requires 2 n's. No wonder we can't understand Bill Clinton (but then neither can Hilary!).
Sorry, mate. That's "Hillary" with 2 Ls. And we can't understand Clinton either. I feel your pain...

atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2000, 10:59 PM

Does anyone have the sound files from the old Mac startup? (the "classic" machines had one chime, the IIs another, the AV Quadras were a little different, and Apple has used the PowerMac chime since 1993)

You can find them at www.mackido.com They are around somewhere as QuickTime Movies... Dig! 8)

[This message has been edited by atomiks (edited 01-30-2000).]

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2000, 01:53 AM

You can get all of the startup sounds on the Macworld Mac Secrets CD-ROM.

The book is pretty good too.

bashar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2000, 04:41 AM

There is a freeware at bitheadz.com, works only on newer macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules