Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple System Profiler vs. DIMMFirstAid reports (long)

Apple System Profiler vs. DIMMFirstAid reports (long)
atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2001, 10:29 PM

Just received what *should* have been 3 PC100 222 512MB sticks from OWC. Just having come off a bad experience with Coast to Coast, I was hoping for better. They had given me PC133 333 chips instead.

What initially got me worried was that the stickers on the sticks said PC133. I install them, they work OK. Apple System Profiler reports that they are PC100 222's. Great. This is good, I'm thinking. Then DIMMFirstAid reports that they are PC133 333's. I haven't noticed as much a slowdown as I did with the Coast2Coast memory, but Gauge Pro is definitely showing a slow down with the memory transfer.

Before, with the Apple supplied RAM, I could get about 230MB/s off a cold boot, and 250MB/s after/while running some apps. Now, it's 220MB/s, and 210MB/s after/while running apps.

Does anybody have any ideas? I had enough trouble sending the Coast to Coast memory back. Which one is reporting the correct values?

Thanx in advance.

Scott Gerenser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 06:38 PM

Don't be so quick to judge if you don't totally understand the details of SRAM. PC133 SDRAM often runs at 333 speed at 133 mhz, but when clocked down to a slower speed, such as 100 mhz, has no problem running at 222 spec.

So rest assured, you're running your RAM at 222, while the RAM is *speced* for 333 at 133mhz, which is actually faster than 222 at 100 MHz.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2001, 04:46 AM

What matters is that SDRAM on a 100 mhz front side bus needs to run at 8 nanoseconds, not 10, not 9. PC133 is designed to run at 7.5 nanoseconds. The focus on CAS2 or if it is 3-2-2 or something else is slightly less important.

Also, GaugePro is not a very accurate measure.

What Mac model? G4 I would guess, because of the 512MB sticks that can't be used in even a Yikes! or earlier model and the 230MB/s memory thruput.

Rest assurred, PC133 is fine. TechWorks is now selling only that type even for PC100 systems like the Blue & White. Easier to make one type of SDRAM which is backware compatible, and PC100 is now history I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules