Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 7200RPM drives?

Dual 7200RPM drives?
atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 12:31 AM

Hey All!

Putting the reliability factor aside for a second, would two IBM Deskstar 75GXP series drives run OK (heat-wise) as the master and slave ATA drives in an AGP G4-450? : confused :

Now, coming back to the reliability issue, would this heat be too much for the drive, causing it to prematurely fail?

Thanks all,

Miks

skeedog98
Nov 8, 2001, 12:50 AM

I have two IBM 75GXP drives, 40GB and 75GB, stacked in the bottom of my Dual 500 G4. They have been running like this for the past semester. I am sure about the long run but I haven't had any problems yet. I just stuck my hand down in there and felt around, the drives are slightly warm but not hot. They are as hot as touching the front of my 19" CRT monitor. I have never worried about heat, and the drives are used quite heavily.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2001, 01:43 AM

There shouldn't be any problems.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2001, 03:18 AM

Heat and reliability are not an issue. I've double stacked 2 deskstars as well without a hitch.
Later
Chuck

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2001, 05:50 AM

No problem...and BTW, those deskstars are sweet drives! Quiet, fast, and groovy!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Paul S
Senior User
Nov 8, 2001, 10:36 AM

If you're worried about heat, go to http://www.startech.com/parts/fans.htm Click on "Computer Case Fans" then look for FANCASE, and FANCASE2. These are pretty cheap and work great. I put a FANCASE in my B&W G3 when I added my second IBM drive. Even though the machine ran fine, a few bucks for a pretty significant amount of cooling was worth it. Heat is one of the things that causes a computer or various parts to fail. This should extend the life of my machine for a while.

<Mad_Hatter>
Nov 8, 2001, 12:48 PM

You have a dual drive backet for a reason. To use it. IDE is fine. SCSI, no, they neeed to lie across the bottom of the case. And the case is built to allow good air flow andcooling, no need for extra fans. I wouldn't buy a 75GXP though. They are very much 'last year' (Spring 2000 and replaced by 60GXP - and today IBM announced the 100GXP for 100GB of storage for $359.

Check the vendor site for heat, noise, voltage. Or www.storagereview.com for review, reliability database of drives, and then www.xlr8yourmac.com database of user reports on upgrades (type, Mac, interface, etc).

J.W. Pepper
Nov 8, 2001, 02:00 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but with this config ie.e 2 x 75GXP can one use the OS X disk utility to run raid or do you need additional hardware?

I can't see how this works as I have only one disk in my machine and it is greyed out in this utility. I assume that there are more than one option other that "Stripe". If so does it require a clean pair of drive and a complete re-install.

Thanks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2001, 05:52 PM

I believe if you have them both on the same IDE cable you could use the RAID setup. Though I'm no OSXpert.......

This first I thought was that a third drive would be needed, for the OS and such, and just all the files and programs would be shuffled to the two RAID drives. Am I just a damn fool?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 03:41 AM

Actually, I am thinking of doing just that.
I need more disk performance on writes for digital video editing, and I was thinking of putting my OS on a small drive, and then running two 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE drives in a RAID 0 configuration using OS X built in utility.
What do you guys think? I would like an ATT0 Ultra3, but my pocket book can't afford that!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules