Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth number pad for Mac wireless keyboard?

Bluetooth number pad for Mac wireless keyboard?
rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2011, 01:16 PM

hope this is the correct fortum. I use a Mac bluetooth wireless keyboard (small one) for my Mac Pro

Ive gotten used to it but sure wish it were an Extended Keyboard in size ie had the number pad on the right.

is there a wireless add on to do this? Ive seen the appl track pad but no numeric key pad

helpful at Tax Time!
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2011, 03:04 PM

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2011, 04:28 PM

thanks for this!

Ill look into this

so shame-full aapl did not make a small and an extented BT keyboard!
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 15, 2011, 09:06 AM

They did originally, but stopped selling the extended wireless one after a while. Probably noone bought it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2011, 02:39 PM

No they didn't — the last extended wireless keyboard Apple sold was the white non-flat one.

I have no doubt that if they sold a full-size Bluetooth keyboard that they'd get sales. I, for one, would buy it, and I suspect it would be popular among PC switchers, most of whom are used to full-size keyboards if they use an external.

Frankly, the mini keyboard confuses me. It's almost exactly the same as the one built into your laptop... so why not just use the one that's built into the laptop?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Apr 15, 2011, 03:39 PM

It's the same size as the one built in to your laptop because internally, it's most likely the same piece of hardware.

Many wireless keyboards are less than full size to be easier to use on the lap when used from a couch, so it is not unprecedented. Personally I prefer corded keyboards, as it's one less thing to other with and I don't move the keyboard around enough for the cord to be an issue, but YMMV. There are enough wireless desktop solutions around - I use the Logitech Desktop S530 on the one computer where wireless makes sense. Not sure if they make it any more though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 04:18 PM

Well I love a bluetooth keyboard with my MacPro

I can use it in my lat etc.

aapl makes (mostly) the best stuff

but they lost this with this keyboard by not offering an extendend version

they are not (90 %) all ways correct!
Ill get the add on as suggested for 44 Bucks from the ammazzonions

thanks for all this tips!
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Chito
Senior User
Apr 15, 2011, 07:02 PM

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 07:14 PM

I plan to get this very soon!

thanks!
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It's the same size as the one built in to your laptop because internally, it's most likely the same piece of hardware.

Many wireless keyboards are less than full size to be easier to use on the lap when used from a couch, so it is not unprecedented. Personally I prefer corded keyboards, as it's one less thing to other with and I don't move the keyboard around enough for the cord to be an issue, but YMMV. There are enough wireless desktop solutions around - I use the Logitech Desktop S530 on the one computer where wireless makes sense. Not sure if they make it any more though.
It's oddly difficult to find a decent wireless keyboard, though — they always tend to either be huge, use some annoying proprietary battery instead of AAs, or use some proprietary wireless protocol that eats up one of your USB ports instead of Bluetooth. The only one I've seen so far that I've liked was the old white non-flat Apple Bluetooth keyboard from years ago. If Apple would make a full-size version of the flat one, I'd try it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2011, 06:05 AM

"There's an app for that..."

BALMUDA design | NumberKey

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2011, 04:51 PM

That's interesting. But I don't think our hard core "accountant" type customers would go for that.

P
Apr 20, 2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
It's oddly difficult to find a decent wireless keyboard, though — they always tend to either be huge, use some annoying proprietary battery instead of AAs, or use some proprietary wireless protocol that eats up one of your USB ports instead of Bluetooth. The only one I've seen so far that I've liked was the old white non-flat Apple Bluetooth keyboard from years ago. If Apple would make a full-size version of the flat one, I'd try it.
Have you tried the S530? I'm really happy with mine.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2011, 01:28 PM

From pictures of it, it looks like there's a huge wrist rest, a whole bunch of extraneous buttons on both the left and the right, and some dead space on the top as well. That thing looks like it would probably have about twice as much surface area as my old white Apple BT extended keyboard. It also looks like it comes bundled with a non-ambidextrous mouse.

P
Apr 20, 2011, 03:51 PM

All of that is correct. The mouse is the same basic model that Logitech has been pushing since forever. I like them a lot - even if the old Mouseman Wheel was even better - but I accept that not everyone has my taste in these things.

The keyboard does have a wrist rest, but there is less than an inch of dead space on the other three sides including the space for the extra buttons. It's also very low and flat, which is what I like about it. Don't get me wrong, the new generation of Apple keyboards is even better, but the S530 is easily better than any other keyboard Apple has put out in the last 15 years.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2011, 02:51 PM

Just looking at the two products, and the fact that more people are buying laptops over desktops, the BT Keyboard and Magic Trackpad are to provide the same user experience when switching between laptop and desktop. I wish they made an extended BT keyboard, too but I get the idea of why they are doing it this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules