Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 6

iOS 6
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 02:09 PM

Nothing?

Still getting used to the UI tweaks. Maps is pretty friggin gorgeous.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

It seems a bit buggy to me. On my iPhone 4S I can no longer log into yahoo mail via Safari. As soon as my inbox loads, it boots me out to the login screen again... over and over. Also, when I was downloading the new iPhoto and Aperture updates, the button that says "download" kept flashing between that word and a string of text..... But I love maps.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 03:29 PM

I can't even connect to my wifi network. Every time I select it in the wifi list, it takes me to a "page not found" on apple's website.

Edit:

Never mind, I found a fix over at the Apple Support Forums:

FIX:

Settings > Wi-Fi > (Network...) > "Blue Circle Arrow"

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and set:

HTTP Proxy to Auto

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 05:05 PM

Apple has a habit of breaking WiFi in software updates ...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Nothing?
Well, the server is getting hammered.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2012, 06:07 PM

Pretty 'meh' update, at least on my iPhone 4. I'll post some impressions once I've had time to play around with it on the iPhone 5.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 06:58 PM

I wasn't impressed on my iPhone 4, but today I picked up a brand new iPhone 4S off-contract for $180 and iOS 6 is much more smooth. It seemed a bit sluggish on the iPhone 4, but on the 4S it seems faster than iOS 5. I love it!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 06:59 PM

Does it remove the YouTube app since YouTube now has a separate app in the store?
45/47

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Does it remove the YouTube app since YouTube now has a separate app in the store?
Yes.

Cold Warrior
Sep 19, 2012, 07:22 PM

iOS 6 is running great on my 4S, I second imitchell's comments.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I wasn't impressed on my iPhone 4
Seems about the same speed-wise on the iPhone 4, possibly slightly slower, except browsing may be slightly faster. (I get a 21% boost in SunSpider.)

However, overall it's just meh.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 08:11 PM

Ditched MapQuest and VZ Navigator (wasn't a subscriber) I'll try out the turn by turn on the way to work.
45/47

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012, 08:53 PM

I don't quite understand how Passbook works. Is there something I need to do to move things into it, or does the app programmer have to use the Passbook API in order to get their gizmos to show up there? I downloaded the Starbucks app and created an account to try it out, but nothing's showing up in Passbook, only on the Starbucks app.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 PM

Hear no emoji

🙉

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 11:29 PM

Maps is gorgeous, but the search is ass.

No standalone YouTube app in Germany yet.

I suppose that may not happen until Google ponies up and agrees to realistic royalty deals with the GEMA.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Goodman View Post
I don't quite understand how Passbook works. Is there something I need to do to move things into it, or does the app programmer have to use the Passbook API in order to get their gizmos to show up there? I downloaded the Starbucks app and created an account to try it out, but nothing's showing up in Passbook, only on the Starbucks app.
Me too, I go to the app store from the Passbook start page link and it takes me to the Passbook list which currently just has Lufthansa in it (in the UK).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Sep 20, 2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Seems about the same speed-wise on the iPhone 4, possibly slightly slower, except browsing may be slightly faster. (I get a 21% boost in SunSpider.)
However, overall it's just meh.
I was hoping for teh snappy back. Mine looked fine in 4.x, but 5 made it laggier.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 02:31 AM

Count me in as someone who doesn't get Passbook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 03:24 AM

Yeah as far as I can tell Passbook essentially just organizes passes. Not so exciting. For travel I will still always still print out my tix whenever possible. Some scanners have problems scanning phone screens, and paper doesn't need a power source.

--- Edit:

Passbook review:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/19/ios-6-passbook-real-world-test-lets-all-go-to-a-movie-or-not/

This is not a booking ID. Arrived at the theatre, tried to present the Passbook app to the desk staff. They didn’t know what it was, also understandable since it’s brand new. Gamely tried to scan it with their handheld bar code scanner, nothing happened. They referred me upstairs, to a mobile ticketing kiosk.
Let me just power that on… So the kiosk itself wasn’t even plugged in. A helpful staff member fixed the problem, and we patiently waited while an embedded POS version of Windows booted up. I excitedly gushed about Passbook, he looked at me like I was slightly soft in the head.
Null. That’s what the machine returned once it finally became active: “Null.” It turns out the bar code didn’t successfully transfer to the Passbook ticket; it was just displaying a generic tag. I’ve since tried purchasing another ticket to a different movie (Lawless, in case you were wondering) and the same thing occurred. This could be a bug on either Apple’s or the developer’s side, but I’m guessing it resides with the developer.
The upshot of the whole process is that I had to use the bar code emailed to me by the app, which worked perfectly when scanned. So, end result, I got my ticket, but the entire process could’ve happened without Passbook being involved at all.

It’s disappointing, but less so because a new product has a few kinks that need to be worked out before it’s ready for the real world (other apps, like Walgreens, seem to be working fine), and more so because the process itself took quite a few assumptions on my part and a leap of faith or two. Passbook is a promising tool, but it needs to be less confusing, more standardized, and more clearly explained to users in order to gain wide adoption. Let’s hope Apple notices and makes some changes to the way Passbook gets pushed and used by developer partners.

Update: Cineplex has since updated its app, and the null error is fixed, so barcodes should scan fine in theatres with mobile ticket readers installed like the one I visited from here on out.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2012, 09:13 AM

Feels faster on my iPhone 4. At least faster than iOS 5 was, not as fast as iOS 4. I'm looking forward to it on my new iPhone 5 though!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 AM

Tons of online bitching about the new Maps. I guess it's not nearly as good as Google...?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 11:44 AM

It's probably going to take a year before it's on par with Google now.

Did I mention it's purty?

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2012, 04:56 PM

Yeah, it looks great, but search does need a ton of work. It's so bad I can't trust it to find nearby establishments if traveling. I hope google provides a maps app soon.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 05:24 PM

Yes.
i love apple's youtube app...any way to keep it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
i love apple's youtube app...any way to keep it?
Don't think so. At least, there's no obvious way for the average Joe to keep it.

Have you tried the Google YouTube app? Cuz it does run on existing phones, all the way back to iOS 4.3 (which means iPhone 3GS or later). You could install it on iOS 5 and test it out without deleting the native YouTube app.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 06:11 PM

Maps got a friends address correct that MapQuest would screw up by changing it to a range of addresses (4600-4700 instead of 4630) no matter how many times I entered it manually.

I used Maps to and from work today with no issues. It rerouted when I went off the original route, unlike The Google maps version on iOS 5. It would not reroute once you went off it's suggested route. Auto lock disables while navigating.
45/47

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 06:26 PM

Don't think so. At least, there's no obvious way for the average Joe to keep it.
Have you tried the Google YouTube app? Cuz it does run on existing phones, all the way back to iOS 4.3 (which means iPhone 3GS or later). You could install it on iOS 5 and test it out without deleting the native YouTube app.
i have but i'm watching on my ipad

sure there will be an ipad version, but i find it awkward trying to find videos

thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 06:55 PM

Yeah, it's irritating on the iPad, because you need to watch it in the browser from YouTube.com, and there is no way to watch it full screen with the regular browsers. I stupidly upgraded to iOS 6 on the iPad, not knowing there was no iPad YouTube app. Basically, iOS 6 on my iPad 2 is a step in the wrong direction, at least for the time being.

However, FWIW, you can download some free browsers that will allow you to hide the top bar, but it's a kludge. I normallly don't like dedicated apps when there is a website alternative available, but for several functions the app is necessary/preferable: Maps, YouTube, Netflix, etc.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 09:23 PM

I forget whether it's Google Maps or YouTube, but at least one of them has been submitted and is awaiting Apple approval.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 10:37 PM

Not a surprise, but maps really makes the 4S go all hot potato.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 12:52 AM

I forget whether it's Google Maps or YouTube, but at least one of them has been submitted and is awaiting Apple approval.
AFAIK, YouTube is available in the US App Store (not in Germany, though, and probably won't be for a while, until Google and GEMA stop their propaganda warfare).

There was a rumour that a Maps app had been submitted, but that has been denied.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 02:36 AM

I have the YouTube app on iOS 6 for my iPhone in Canada. However, we were talking about the iPad. I made the mistake upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 6, thinking there was also the corresponding YouTube app for the iPad, but inexplicably there isn't.

I don't think there is any way to downgrade back to iOS 5 either.
Not a surprise, but maps really makes the 4S go all hot potato.
What does that mean?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 AM

After using it more, I think iOS 6 has slowed down my iPhone 4 somewhat. It isn't as drastic as iOS 4 on the 3G, but I'm noticing the phone pausing/stuttering a bit more with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 compared to iOS 5.1.1. Overall it's not too bad though.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 AM

I dislike the Maps app, buggy hunk of crap, but the rest seems good so far.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2012, 08:34 AM

This was a surprise: the Gen 1 iPad isn't supported. My wife will be disappointed. It won't get me to buy her a new iPad 2, either. I have started looking for a refurb though, but maybe I'll be more likely to go with Craigslist... Very disappointing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I was surprised as well. I figured they'd support it through 6.x. Hell, the venerable 3GS is getting it, and the iPad 1 runs circles around it in performance. It's blatant greed in this case, sad to say.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
Sep 21, 2012, 08:54 AM

Tip of the day: If you install the Apple Podcasts app, as the setup procedure basically instructs you to do, Podcasts sync from iTunes but they are not actually playable anywhere. In the Podcasts app, you have to download them again, and in the Music app the Podcasts option is gone. The solution is to delete the Podcasts app and force quite Music - upon starting Music again, your synced Podcasts are available in the usual place.

The Gen 1 iPad is not supported because it only has 256 MB RAM and has to keep 1024*768 apps in memory. Not greed - or at least not now, maybe greed back when they designed it. The 3GS iPhone has a much smaller display, 100% of the RAM and 75% of the CPU power of the 1st gen iPad and thus passes. Everything else has at least 512 MB RAM.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This was a surprise: the Gen 1 iPad isn't supported. My wife will be disappointed. It won't get me to buy her a new iPad 2, either. I have started looking for a refurb though, but maybe I'll be more likely to go with Craigslist... Very disappointing.
I'm so glad I waited for the iPad 2. 512 MB RAM and dual-core. It seems to remain reasonably speedy with iOS 6. Not so much with the single-core iPhone 4.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 11:39 AM

What does that mean?
Using Flyover makes the phone very warm.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yay! It's Glenn!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 01:51 PM

I thought the 3GS had 256MB of RAM?
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I thought the 3GS had 256MB of RAM?
Yup.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 PM

I have the YouTube app on iOS 6 for my iPhone in Canada. However, we were talking about the iPad. I made the mistake upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 6, thinking there was also the corresponding YouTube app for the iPad, but inexplicably there isn't
FWIW, I'm really appreciating not being kicked out of the browser anymore every time I click an embedded video.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2012, 10:34 AM

I thought photos from video was added.
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I thought photos from video was added.
Still photos WHILE shooting video is a feature of the iPhone 5.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks. I was hoping it was added to the 4S
45/47

davidlfoster
Sep 25, 2012, 09:14 AM

I hate it. Desperately want to go back to iOS 5.1.1.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 PM

I love it, you couldn't pay me to go back.
- Thomas Paine

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 01:19 PM

iOS 6 is the Lion/Vista of mobile OSes: full of useless, pretty bloatware.

I am going to hold out for iOS 7 in my unlocked iPhone 6 with 3D retina display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules