Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > IP address out of range problem

IP address out of range problem
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2013, 04:16 AM

I'm trying to connect to my router (Vizio xwr100 with openwrt installed), but can't because its IP address is out of range. The previous configuration got messed up and its address is set to 224.0.0.251. When I try to access it using the browser interface, I get the following error: "Safari can't open the page "http://224.0.0.251/". The error is: "The operation couldn't be completed. Address family not supported by the protocol family" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:47)".

In addition, I tried to change the address on my computer to 224.0.0.250 so I would be on the same subnet in order to ssh into it, but got the error: "Invalid IP Address. The first quad of the value entered is out of range and cannot be used as the router address for this computer." And ssh to that address returns: "Address family not supported by protocol family".

I also tried the command:
sudo arp -s 192.168.0.2 1:0:5e:0:0:fb temp && ssh [email protected]
to see if I could ssh into it from its MAC address, but the attempt just times out.

And, I can't reset it to the factory default because the firmware's been flashed. Any ideas on how to access this router?

P
Nov 29, 2013, 05:40 AM

That's a new one - have to admit that I never heard of anyone doing that before. (For the curious, IP addresses starting with 224-240 are Class D, and 240-255 are Class E - both of which have been "reserved for future use" for so long that they're now essentially unusable, because all network hardware just throws an error when it sees one.) Anyway, it appears that Openwrt has a failsafe mode for just such a situation:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ge...openwrt.method
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2013, 01:44 PM

I followed the procedure but could not enter failsafe mode. However, I'm not sure what they mean by "Plug out wan port" in the very first step. What needs to be done to plug out the port?

Thanks

P
Nov 29, 2013, 02:18 PM

I think you need to connect your computer to the WAN port.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2013, 02:43 PM

When connected to the LAN port I get up to step 3 where the router says "Please press button now to enter failsafe", but nothing happens afterwards when I press a button, it just hangs there never entering failsafe mode.

When connected to the WAN port, I don't get any messages at all.

P
Nov 29, 2013, 06:02 PM

I don't know more, sorry. You might have better luck asking in a Openwrt forum.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2013, 07:14 PM

You could also try a hack to your /etc/hosts file. Try adding this line:

224.0.0.251 myrouter.xyz

Save hosts file. Then try to load your router at myrouter.xyz

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2013, 12:15 AM

Just tried editing my /etc/hosts file and entering http://myrouter.xyz in Safari but got the same error as when I entered the IP address.

But after thinking about it, there must be a file that tells the OS which addresses are out of range. If I could disable that file temporarily then I could access the router. Would you have any idea of what file that is?

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2013, 05:04 AM

I'd like to thank all of you for your help, but I'm embarrassed to say that I think I made a mistake in thinking that my router's address was 224.0.0.251. So let me go back to how I got there. I started configuring my router and got to a setting for the LAN address in which the default was set to static. I changed it to DHCP, but later realized the setting was for the router—not the computers connected to the LAN. So I changed it back to static but didn't set the IP address. I took a break, came back later to finish configuring it, but couldn't get in to the router. To figure out what was going on, I disconnected my computer from the Internet, connected it to just the router, and from the terminal entered ping 255.255.255.255, cntl-c to stop it, then arp -a to see the result which was:

? (17.171.4.35) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.0.2) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
broadcasthost (255.255.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

At this point I had thought the address of the router was 224.0.0.251. My computer is 192.168.0.2. But after talking to other people I think the router is at 17.171.4.35. Just now, I changed my computer's address to 17.171.4.34 to put it on the same subnet, entered the ping, arp -a sequence again and got this:

? (188.37.11.137) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
broadcasthost (255.255.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

I then changed my netmask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.0.0.0, did the sequence again, and got this:

? (91.121.72.224) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (122.149.249.116) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (188.37.11.137) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

I'm now thoroughly confused. I've tried ssh, telnet, and http into 17.171.4.35 but get timed out each time. Any other suggestions?

P
Dec 1, 2013, 04:10 PM

Almost certainly the out of range addresses are hardcoded at this point. 17.171.4.35 is time.apple.com, the server used to set the system time over NTP.

An idea, though: your config error has only messed up the LAN ports. You could set up a DHCP server on the Mac (here is an instruction I found, don't know if it's up to date, and I never did it on my own) and connect to the router's WAN port with whatever address that the Mac will assign to the router.

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2013, 04:33 PM

After many attempts, the failsafe method mentioned above eventually worked. I was able to reset the router and telnet into it. Thanks for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules