Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ADSL weirdness

ADSL weirdness
�
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2002, 08:18 AM

I started with a 56k, which I upgraded to ISDN a couple of years ago.
After that I took cable, which was dead slow, so I switched back to ISDN again.

To be able to get ADSL I had to take the expensive option : ISDN with an ADSL connection with it.

I payed my bills (ISDN + ADSL) for a few months until I forgot to pay for my ISDN bill. The phonecompany disconnected my ISDN line for a few days, but to my amazement, I didn't notice it because ADSL uses another bandwith. I could still freely browse the internet without paying 50 euro(?) a month for my ISDN line.

So I told my phonecompany I wanted to stop my ISDNconnection because I didn't make phonecalls anyway. (I have 2 mobiles already)

This worked : I didn't have to pay for my phoneline anymore, while still enjoyed 1mbit/sec ADSL.

Until 17 july 2002, because I just received a letter from the phonecompany that they will terminatie my ADSLconnection, after they inquired at my ADSLprovider if I still used the internetconnection.

So I made a few phonecalls, and asked my phonecompany if I could get my old phonenumber back (ISDN), they told me that was impossible because someone else was already using my old phonenumber. They gave me 4 new phonenumbers.

How does the internetprovider provide me with ADSL if I am in no way able to connect to their servers, I have no phonenumber, I do have an IPadress, but how does this work? I use LANtunnelbuilder to connect.

T E K N O

denim
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2002, 11:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by �:
<strong>How does the internetprovider provide me with ADSL if I am in no way able to connect to their servers, I have no phonenumber, I do have an IPadress, but how does this work?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sounds like your phone company has a nice racket going. Why you "need" ISDN to get DSL, I don't know. They're separate things here in the US.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

�  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2002, 11:38 AM

well, the phonecompany sent me a letter that the ADSLconnection that was on my phonenumber would be cancelled on 17-7-2002.

But the phonenumber they mentioned isn't my phonenumber anymore, it's from some jewelryshop right now. I called my old number and someone picked up the phone
T E K N O

Mike656
Jul 12, 2002, 02:45 PM

Here is the US there are two types of DSL providers, ILEC and CLEC. The phone companies who run DSL in their perspective markets are the ILEC and generally use the line sharing method, which allows you to get DSL over your existing phone line. The problem is that they say you need to have a active telephone account, which is total BS, kinda like saying that a new telephone user must also buy DSL for their service to work. The CLEC's like Covad give you a dedicated line with no phone number, so you dont have to pay extra for telephone service if you are a mobile only user (me).

Here is some useful info about DSL, should answer any questions you may have.

<a href="http://www.dslreports.com/faq" target="_blank">http://www.dslreports.com/faq</a>

Forum Links
Forum Rules