Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Preview on OSX keeps launching instead of Acrobat Reader..?!?!

Preview on OSX keeps launching instead of Acrobat Reader..?!?!
sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2002, 05:31 AM

What's going on here?

Running OSX 10.1.4 and Internet Explorer 5.1.4 and while Preview is a nice little app, I can't figure why on earth it keeps launching when a .PDF is loaded from the finder (from my HD) or from IE (from a website).

This is despite the fact that I've already made the appropriate configurations on both the carbonized Acrobat Reader 5 app and IE. I've even made sure to set Acrobat reader 5.0 as the "File Helper" for .PDF files under the IE browser prefs and still Preview insists on taking over the situation and using itself to show the .PDF file. Sometimes I get a message from Acrobat saying that the current configuration will not allow acrobat to display the pages on the browser despite the fact that I did set the configs properly... then it asks if I want acrobat to make the appropriate configuration changes to the browser -- and of course I say "OK" and next time I load acrobat, it happens again. wtf?!

Worse part is that Preview does not have a "Preferences" window where the user can modify certain file associations. For an app that is capable of displaying multi-page PDF's and a plethora of image files, it darn well should have one!!!

Brooks Seymore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 05:45 AM

Give this a try, its worked perfectly for me.

1) File -> Show Info on any PDF document.

2) Pull down pop up menu on Show Info window until you get to the Open With Application pane.

3) Select the application you want to open .pdf documents with.

4) Press "Change All" button at the bottom of the Window.

After doing this all .pdf documents should open using Acrobat even if they still have a Preview icon. The icon will change when the file is opened.

Good luck,

- Brooks

sensorfreaky  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2002, 07:07 AM

thanks... that sorta worked. sorta...

I can now open a PDF file that's already saved in the HD from finder and it launches acrobat but any PDF file I open from a website still launches Preview!

The prefs under my browser clearly indicate that I have selected Acrobat reader 5.0 as the one and only "file helper" for PDF files encountered on the web yet Preview still wears the pants in this situation and takes over. So annoying.

Nothing against preview but it just can't take a hint

Forum Links
Forum Rules