Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Great little Jaguar features.

Great little Jaguar features. (Page 3)
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 05:21 PM

My feedback wish came true and Mail now has a Dock menu item for checking for New Mail, without needing to maximize or unhide the main window. (I don't like scheduling, for some reason.)

The other menu item is nice, too, for a quick mail.

J

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 05:23 PM

A particularly attracting thing for some of us is the Default Paper Size - preference in Print Center Preferences. A4!

You can also create custom page sizes in Page Setup, in the settings popup menu!

J

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 05:26 PM

Also, it's easy to miss these features in Adressbook: When viewing a card, click and hold on the field titles, such as 'Home' or 'Work'.

You'll get a context menu for sending mails, or viewing the location through an online map service, or other stuff.

Though Finland gets place in Omaha - lol.

J

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:

How about ALL the disk icons now in OS X?
*image snip*
Thx

And indeed, they look pretty slick !

idparkinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 06:12 PM

I love the 'click on fields in Address Book', try clicking on a telephone number and select larger type - WOW !!!

My little tip is with iChat :-

Drag a large image onto the icon area in iChat and another window will pop open. In this window you can scale the image and also move it around so you can pick the exact part of the image you want to display to iChat users. No need to edit a special photo, you can swap them really easy but still get them looking great in seconds.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

J
I played around with this and had the same problem with other countries. On the ones I tried, it works properly if you set each address format to the format of that country. It seems that it is using the format instead of the address when looking up the map. A small bug, I think.

Barney.

graveguy
Sep 2, 2002, 07:13 PM

How about this one...

In iChat...On my home (desktop) machine, I set up my Buddy List with all of my friends and family I want to track...It took a while and I've never been a 'chatter', but I found it kind of fun to see who is online and to be able to message with them...

I open up my iBook tonight (different machine!) and fire up iChat and it already has my buddy list from the other machine...I didn't have to set it all up again...simple but it's how it should be...

And I LOVE the new Slide Show sharing feature...I was thinking of getting one of those Cevia digital picture frames for my mother so I could upload pictures of our family trips, etc. to her desktop (her real desktop!), but now I can just publish a slide show and she sees it as her screensaver!

Not to mention the small miracle that my mother is, in fact, running Unix and doesn't even know it! I've been thinking about making OSX shirts that say, "My mother runs UNIX..." and then just have the X icon on the back or something...Apple needs to do that...

-GraveGuy

cdrgonzo20
Sep 2, 2002, 08:09 PM

I got the menu eject thing from the core services to work on my computer. How do I get it to disapear from the menu bar? It's really kind of useless on my computer. Thanks!
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
I got the menu eject thing from the core services to work on my computer. How do I get it to disapear from the menu bar? It's really kind of useless on my computer. Thanks!
Command drag it off the menu bar.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Brooks Seymore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 08:56 PM

Also, it's easy to miss these features in Adressbook: When viewing a card, click and hold on the field titles, such as 'Home' or 'Work'.

You'll get a context menu for sending mails, or viewing the location through an online map service, or other stuff.

J
Interesting that Apple uses MapQuest for maps in the Address Book but for the Yellow Pages in Sherlock it uses Maps On Us.

Regardless, a great little feature.

- Brooks

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 09:42 PM

is that "show map" thingie in address book another us-only feature? i don't see it anywhere...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by seb2:
is that "show map" thingie in address book another us-only feature? i don't see it anywhere...
Click on the address of a person in Address Book and select "Karte von".

The address must not contain any umlauts or � (like in Stra�e), but that has to be expected.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
The address must not contain any umlauts or � (like in Stra�e), but that has to be expected.
duh! so i mustn't have the german word for "street" in an *address*?

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 12:11 AM

(1) I don't know if this was covered yet b/c this thread blew up since this morning; and
(2) I am not even sure it's new to Jag, but anyway, I "just" found this feature. For anyone using CopyPaste (fwiw, I am mousing over clipboard #2 here)�

When you have a picture in the clipboard and mouse over it, it will automatically show you what it is:

Also, I like how the folders open up to receive a document. Not the 'spring loaded' effect, but just the open the gap move.

whoops, fixed image�
( Last edited by TonyRado; Sep 3, 2002 at 12:16 AM. )

Ed De
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 03:44 AM

The finder now shows the proper disk name, and track names. 9 used to do this, but this is the first version of 10 to support it. (Remember, it used to be Audio CD 1 and Track 1, Track 2 ...) This is one of my favorite features of the Finder!

[The CD information would need to be in the iTunes database for the Finder to show it.]

TC
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 04:24 AM

My feedback wish came true and Mail now has a Dock menu item for checking for New Mail, without needing to maximize or unhide the main window.
Sounds good, I wish Apple would allow us to customise dock menus for any Application. That way we could write our own operations in Applescript and place them in an Application's dock menu.

Not sure if this is jag new but if you are dragging something you can hit escape to drop what you are dragging.
Nothing to see, move along.

Dirk Lenz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 04:57 AM

Did anyone notice the new character palette option in Preferences/International/Keyboard Menu?

Nice thread � thanks a lot!

:Dirk

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 05:08 AM

I posted this earlier on another thread, and I'm not certain if it's new to Jag (because my P750 wasn't recognised in 10.1), but it fits here so I'll say it again.

If your gamepad is recognised by the HID manager (which should now include all usb hid-compliant devices) it works under InputSprocket in classic. This means you don't need to reboot to run old games.

Barney.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 05:43 AM

The Finder's "Get Info" panel now has a Privileges section that is useful when the file belongs to someone else. (e.g. root)

It has an authenticator thingy (padlock button) so you can authenticate yourself as an admin and change incorrectly set strict permissions without dropping into the terminal.

Hey, have we got to 130 new features yet?

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 06:27 AM

If you're all enjoying this thread then I recommend reading MacOS X Hints everyday.

I'll add one that I found there yesterday. In Keychain Access, you can find an option to put a menuextra in the menubar. From this you can "Lock Screen" (which starts your screensaver and then requires you to enter your password to get out of it) and "Lock <username>" to lock your keychain:

titanX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 06:53 AM

Another attention to detail I love in Jaguar is the way icons are selected in the "Get info" window (for instance when you want to copy an icon).
In 10.1, the selected icon was surrounded by a blue square. In 10.2, the blue selection surrounds directly the icon ! Nice

Try it now with all your application icons. Cool, huh ..?
I almost wish all icons were selected that way in the Finder...

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 07:14 AM

Here is my tip. FOund it somewhere on the net. It probably is an emacs easter egg.
Open Terminal
startup emacs (typing emacs on the command line)
press shift+escape
type: xdoctor

mark r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by ablaze:
Here is my tip. FOund it somewhere on the net. It probably is an emacs easter egg.
Open Terminal
startup emacs (typing emacs on the command line)
press shift+escape
type: xdoctor
Hey, that's Eliza, right?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
If you're all enjoying this thread then I recommend reading MacOS X Hints everyday.

I'll add one that I found there yesterday. In Keychain Access, you can find an option to put a menuextra in the menubar. From this you can "Lock Screen" (which starts your screensaver and then requires you to enter your password to get out of it) and "Lock <username>" to lock your keychain:

Nice. I'll check it out. What's that OSX-like icon in your menu ba ? What about the one that looks like a desktop (is that one of the keychain ones ? )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2002, 10:58 AM

sorry, double post.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 3, 2002 at 11:06 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
What about the one that looks like a desktop (is that one of the keychain ones ? )
I think that's a menu extra to change desktop background images from "ChangeDesktop". Used to have it, but now there's Jaguar for that...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2002, 11:05 AM

Nobody seems to have found (or at least not mentioned) the new color picker in Jag.

Used to be, if I was using GoLive's smart Photoshop feature to save a web graphic, and I wanted it transparent with a background color, I had to prepare beforehand by writing down the color (in percent, not HEX or 0-255) then struggle as the tabs didn't work in the color picker (fill in first blank, tab, fill in second blank, tab, hit tab 3 more times to get to the third box because you were back in first box, etc.).

Now, there is something very similar to HTML ColorPicker X, in fact, it may be just that. You can use the everything from selecting any color on screen using an eyedropper to using the crayon picker. Plus you can even save a few colors for easy quick access. It's great!

HUGE timesaver for me!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
I'm torn between column view and icon view again. Now that you can have the item info under icons (or next to them) in icon view, I'm switching some of my folders over. The choice to use an image preview in icon view is nice too. The folders where the files are too big I can leave it off, but in most cases I have it on.
What's that now? How do I get item info next to the icons?

PS: This thread is great! I'm learning all kinds of stuff!
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 11:55 AM

My Cube has a printer attached and I have it set up to be shared.

The Cube is sound asleep in the other room but I just printed a Word document to the printer from my TiBook here in the living room. And the Cube stayed asleep. And this is sleep with the display dimmed and hard drive spun down. Not bad.

Don't know if this is new to Jag but it's pretty cool nevertheless.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 01:25 PM

Nice. I'll check it out. What's that OSX-like icon in your menu ba ? What about the one that looks like a desktop (is that one of the keychain ones ? )
The X is Classic Spy (it changes to a 9 when Classic is running - the menu options are to start/stop/force quit classic - although the stop function isn't working for me in Jag at the moment - and to open the Classic System Prefs).

The Desktop icon is indeed Change Desktop which does what the new Apple thing does (change desktops at specified times) only on steroids. I use it because a) I don't have a QE capable machine so I don't get the nice cross-fading effect anyway and b) among many other things CD can select images from multiple folders rather than just the one (which is my impression of what Apple's implementation does??). I've been using it for months now (it worked in 10.1.x).

Both are cracking bits of freeware.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by iNub:

That's a feature of HFS+, not of Mac OS. Files are stored with unique IDs, and moving the file in the hierarchy doesn't break the alias to it. It doesn't work with symlinks, however. Replacing a file also doesn't break aliases, because the file ID will remain the same. Cool stuff.
Ah, but it is a feature of the OS supporting a feature of the file system - before OS X was storing pathnames to files, not file id's.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
Scrolling with pushed scroll wheel - the page will scroll down much faster. Very cool if you normally have set the scroll wheel speed to slowest.
Where do you set the speed of the wheel? I noticed when I installed 10.2 that my wheel suddenly started scrolling *much* faster, to the point of being useless. I have no drivers installed - just plain jane USB.

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Nobody seems to have found (or at least not mentioned) the new color picker in Jag.

Used to be, if I was using GoLive's smart Photoshop feature to save a web graphic, and I wanted it transparent with a background color, I had to prepare beforehand by writing down the color (in percent, not HEX or 0-255) then struggle as the tabs didn't work in the color picker (fill in first blank, tab, fill in second blank, tab, hit tab 3 more times to get to the third box because you were back in first box, etc.).

Now, there is something very similar to HTML ColorPicker X, in fact, it may be just that. You can use the everything from selecting any color on screen using an eyedropper to using the crayon picker. Plus you can even save a few colors for easy quick access. It's great!

HUGE timesaver for me!
I was very glad to see the return of the crayon picker - it's so much easier for simple color choices than futzing around with RGB sliders. Also, if you have full keyboard access on in the system prefs, you can actually navigate the crayons with the keyboard. Just use the keyboard shortcut from the prefs pane (I think ctrl-F6 is the default) to focus on the panel and then tab into the crayon view. You can then switch crayons with the arrow keys!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

Where do you set the speed of the wheel? I noticed when I installed 10.2 that my wheel suddenly started scrolling *much* faster, to the point of being useless. I have no drivers installed - just plain jane USB.
...in the Mouse System Preferences, of course:

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 04:58 PM

I don't have Jaguar yet but I just noticed this in Technote 2053...

Check out the 4th item on this list.

It doesn't bother me so much, but I know that alot of people wanted this!
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 05:02 PM

...in the Mouse System Preferences, of course:

Well, shoot. I don't have that. I think I need to do yet another clean install - I have other... oddities... on Jaguar.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Richyfp:
I don't have Jaguar yet but I just noticed this in Technote 2053...

Check out the 4th item on this list.

It doesn't bother me so much, but I know that alot of people wanted this!
Well, then why oh why does the Dock still have that limit?

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 05:34 PM

funny technote 2053 was mentioned, i just wanted to quote something else from it:

Users can now use cmd-shift-` to send keyboard focus to a drawer. Previously, it was only possible to do so by clicking on a drawer
doesn't work with a german keyboard (just like window cycling) -- can anybody with an american keyboard confirm that?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 06:43 PM

Oh, Hope no one has mentioned this before.

In the finder you can switch between column/icon/list view by pressing Command-1, 2 or 3.

Most useful. Especially for those of us with limited toolbar space (i.e. you can remove the "view" item.)

p.s. also removing the path item also saves space as you can get the path by Command-clicking the "proxy" icon in the window's title bar.

[edit]

also this:

if you are copying several files and they need to replace older files with the same name you can now check the "yes to all" checkbox in the copy dialogue and the copy operation will over-write/skip the operation for all of the files without asking you over and over again.

This is more of a re-instated Classic feature - but it's nice to have it back.

Hmmm - thinks - if there were a thread called - "what can you do in 9 that you can't do in 10" it would be getting smaller every day.
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Sep 3, 2002 at 07:24 PM. )

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
What's that now? How do I get item info next to the icons?
Simple! Open a folder in the Finder. Choose icon view for it. Then choose "View Options" from the View menu. (Actually, you can open view options then choose icon view, but anyway...) There is a checkbox for "Show Item Info" just below the choice to snap to grid.

Not all files will have info underneath them. but all your folders will say how many items are inside, many movies will show their running time, and many image files will display their pixel dimensions.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 12:26 AM

Don't think this has been mentioned, but I noticed that when you go to rename a file, you no longer have to highlight it, then click again on the name. Just click it once and wait a second, and the edit field comes up. That's one thing I missed from OS 9, the other way is so...Windowish.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 12:59 AM

tip: if you install the minimize in place, but you dont want it turned on all the time, simply control click the minimize button to minimize it in place.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by spectre:
tip: if you install the minimize in place, but you dont want it turned on all the time, simply control click the minimize button to minimize it in place.

How do you install minimize in place? Is it on the 10.2 CD?

Thanks.
I, ASIMO.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 02:04 AM

Nope, you have to install the dock from an earlier developer build. I forget the link, I'm sure someone has it, if not, I have the file, I can send it. I've had it running since I installed 10.2 with no problems. Except for when you option click to another app, the app you were previously in doesn't hide. But I don't really use that, so it doesn't really bother me

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 02:10 AM

For whoever poster about the scrolling speed option not showing up, that only works on mice that have scroll wheels. Kind of like Ink only shows up if you have a tablet connected.

mikebat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Plus you can even save a few colors for easy quick access. It's great!
You can also drag the little double line underneath those 14 "favourite colours" to see 9 more rows!

Wow, anyone have 140 favourite colours?

Double-clicking the same double line will collapse the favourites too.

This new colour picker rocks
(and its great that the same interface is used in both Carbon & Cocoa apps)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
In the finder you can switch between column/icon/list view by pressing Command-1, 2 or 3.
Thank you! I didn't catch that, and I LOVE it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 08:22 AM

Just noticed that Classic no longer sucks up ~10 to 20% CPU when sleeping in the background (this is with no open Classic apps, btw)... highest I have observed it go in the past minute was 0.4% which means that I can leave it up and running now

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 09:34 AM

Here's an iChat one that I wasn't aware of, courtesy of the AppleCare Knowledge Base:
You can send a picture that appears in the chat window. Unlike when you send a file, the picture is displayed right alongside your text and doesn't have to be accepted then viewed separately.

Drag image files to the text input area where you type your message. A small icon will appear indicating that the picture will be sent when you press Return. You can add text before and after the picture.

For best results, send images in JPEG or GIF format to ensure that people using applications other than iChat can display the files.
Cool !

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
For whoever poster about the scrolling speed option not showing up, that only works on mice that have scroll wheels. Kind of like Ink only shows up if you have a tablet connected.
I have a mouse with a scrollwheel, and I don't have the scrolling speed option in my mouse prefs. Hmmmm. Maybe it's cause I installed the Logitech control center thing? I dunno.

Here's an iChat one that I wasn't aware of, courtesy of the AppleCare Knowledge Base
This was in AIM as well, Direct Connection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules