Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard drive fulll problem

Hard drive fulll problem
gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 12:27 PM

My hard disk reports that it's full when there should be about 6GB free, so I'm trying to find the extra 6GB of data so I can delete it. I've used Get Info to check the size of all the visible folders in the root directory, but none of the extra data showed up there. I've also tried rebooting and emptied the cache for my web browser, Safari, but that also did not change anything. What would be causing the disk to fill, and where would I find the extra data?
( Last edited by gbhgbh; May 13, 2004 at 01:31 PM. )

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by gbhgbh:
My hard disk reports that it's full when there should be about 6GB free, so I'm trying to find the extra 6GB of data so I can delete it. I've used Get Info to check the size of all the visible folders in the root directory, but none of the extra data showed up there. I've also emptied the cache for my web browser, Safari, but that also did not change anything. What would be causing the disk to fill, and where would I find the extra data?
How do you know there should be about 6 GB free?

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 01:35 PM

There was 6GB free the day before and my backups have 6GB free. It literally happened overnight.

dtriska
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 02:10 PM

gbhgbh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the help, I found the problem. The system somehow copied one of my external drives to /Volumes/External-drive instead of mounting it there. It must have occurred during a backup.

I wouldn't have found it if I hadn't tried OmniDiskSweeper. It started calculating the size of my external drives which I didn't want it to do. So I disconnected the drives, started over, and found one of my drives "still connected".

Forum Links
Forum Rules