Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > someone at the apple store will feel my wrath come down on their head!

someone at the apple store will feel my wrath come down on their head!
STIdrvr4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 03:31 PM

so i get this new upgraded MacBook Pro for my birthday.

thing is sweet. upgraded fully.

its been out of the box for probably like 3 hours, and my J key pops right off onto the floor.

"oh helllllll no" i think to myself.

so i call the apple store. and talk to the guy.

he says to me, "we will fix it but not replace the comp."

so i say, "its been out of the box for 3 hours, and its falling apart. this doesnt build my confidence in apple."

so then he says to come in and talk to a manager.

so i go onto my next subject.

i tell him that my dad bought an MS Office for the MacBook Pro but he didnt know we already software for my sisters iMac. i told him that the plastic wrap isnt on it, but the program is still in its unopened containter within the box.

he tells me that if the plastic wrap is off then its not exchangable or returnable. but i can talk to a manager if i want.

wtf? can people who arent managers get ANYTHING done? or are they just there for "filler" ?

am i right to think that i should get an all new comp, seeing as in this one is like 3 hours old and its loosing keys?

Alexey (rus)
Apr 4, 2006, 04:12 PM

usually, software that is opened, shrink wrap torn off the BOX, they won't let you return it. It's typical policy for usually anyone who sells software.

About your macbook though, you might be able to get it replaced, but i doubt it since keys are so easily fixable. I got mine replaced because of a warped monitor, which would have cost much more money to replace than a key on the keyboard. But i think cost is the main issue for not getting a replacement. Kinda like a car, if you get in an accident, the insurance company isnt gonna write it off as your car being totaled unless it reaches a certain cost threshold.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by STIdrvr4life
so i get this new upgraded MacBook Pro for my birthday.

thing is sweet. upgraded fully.

its been out of the box for probably like 3 hours, and my J key pops right off onto the floor.

"oh helllllll no" i think to myself.

so i call the apple store. and talk to the guy.

he says to me, "we will fix it but not replace the comp."

so i say, "its been out of the box for 3 hours, and its falling apart. this doesnt build my confidence in apple."

so then he says to come in and talk to a manager.

so i go onto my next subject.

i tell him that my dad bought an MS Office for the MacBook Pro but he didnt know we already software for my sisters iMac. i told him that the plastic wrap isnt on it, but the program is still in its unopened containter within the box.

he tells me that if the plastic wrap is off then its not exchangable or returnable. but i can talk to a manager if i want.

wtf? can people who arent managers get ANYTHING done? or are they just there for "filler" ?

am i right to think that i should get an all new comp, seeing as in this one is like 3 hours old and its loosing keys?
If the "j" key fell off, all that needs to be done is to pop it back on. The genius can do this easily. How do they know YOU did not pop it off? It's hardly an issue. The software issue is also of your own doing.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

MacG33k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 04:34 PM

If your sister has MS Office, then you'd need another license for your computer. Your moronic statment really pisses me off. Yes, I am a software developer.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 04:56 PM

moral: don't use ms office

and anyway, yes, you can't install the same software on two computers. you bought one copy, it's good for one computer.

lubberwort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 05:07 PM

Same thing happened for my Powerbook G4 DL. A few days after I got it, the "C" key popped off and one of the little clips on the back of it broke off. When I took it to the apple store, the genius said that he wasn't able to replace since he was able to pop the key back on, even though it would pop back off once a week. Finally I just ordered one online, no more problems.

And I believe MS Office comes with three licenses, atleast it did for v.X

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
moral: don't use ms office

and anyway, yes, you can't install the same software on two computers. you bought one copy, it's good for one computer.

Mac Office for Students/Teachers comes with 3 serial numbers for three installations

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 06:20 PM

ah, now i see the problem.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by lubberwort
Finally I just ordered one online, no more problems.
ordered one what?

STIdrvr4life  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto
Mac Office for Students/Teachers comes with 3 serial numbers for three installations
yes. so i hope your still not pissed off at my statement mr. software devloper.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 08:05 PM

i know that if you're not supposed to install office on more than one computer and those two computers are on the same network, office won't run. I had the same copy on this ibook and an old clamshell after doing a drive swap/upgrade before i formatted the clamshell and you couldnt use office on both computers...That was a student copy i purchased from my university's licensing program, so idk...

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 09:29 PM

The keys are designed to pop off under stress rather than break. This is normal. You were probably typing too hard or hit it just wrong.

he tells me that if the plastic wrap is off then its not exchangable or returnable.
Don't you have any friends who work in retail? Most places have shrink wrap machines... sheesh.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 10:45 PM

Sounds like the RANT of a Very, Very spoiled little boy.... MACBOOK PRO for a birthday, STI for life.... STI's are pretty expensive. But oh well.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

kitcho
Apr 4, 2006, 11:02 PM

Subaru WRX STi: 32,995$ (MSRP)

Apple MacBook Pro "upgraded fully": 3,199$ (w/o applecare,software,modem)

Having people over the internet tell you where it's at: Priceless.

dad gonna buy you some common sense as well?

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 11:14 PM

yes. so i hope your still not pissed off at my statement mr. software devloper.
I can see that you have people skills. I like that.

volcano
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 11:21 PM

You do know April Fools Day was 3 days ago, right?

Uh, did you get that memo?

Forum Links
Forum Rules