Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Graphics card for G5

Graphics card for G5
Viggen0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2009, 08:53 AM

I did a quick search, but I don't see any threads discussing this in like the past two years. My 9800 Pro just fizzled, and I need an inexpensive replacement. Other than just buying a used 9800 pro, I'd like to search for an upgrade. I don't need more VRAM because I'm already running a 24" monitor which is all I need, but a step up in power would be nice. Other than the expensive AGP upgrades for the G5 like the 6800 and X800, are there any pc cards that are easily flashable, PCIx or AGP?

P
Apr 3, 2009, 08:09 AM

Please detail exactly which Mac you have - clockspeed, model year etc.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Viggen0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2009, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I've got a G5 dual 2.0, probably 2004.

David Lee
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2009, 04:52 PM

The reason the model of G5 is important is that there are 4 models, and the first three used different PCI slots than the last model, which uses PCIe (PCI Express). You can use the freeware application Mactracker (www.mactraker.ca) to look at the specs for each model, comparing those with the information in system profiler, to detemine which model and which type of PCI slots you have. That really is important when buying a video card that will work in your machine.

revMedia
Apr 4, 2009, 03:53 PM

I tried this about a year ago. Ended up just buying a used x800. The later cards for the G5's can be difficult to flash.

Viggen0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2009, 08:54 AM

My g5 has PCI-x slots, not PCI-e. It's the first revision of the G5, when they had the 1.6 single, 1.8 dual and 2.0 dual.

So the 6800 is hard to flash?

Viggen0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2009, 01:11 PM

Just thought I'd revive this thread, because I purchased, flashed, and installed a nvidia 7800gs last night, and it seems to work great. Flashing, once we got the old agp pc set up properly at my buddy's house, went off without a hitch. I have yet to put it through any really hardcore games. Just an hour or so of the old game "Republic" which seems to run like poo on any machine i try it on, an iMac Core Duo with x1600, an iBook g4 with 7500 mobility, and even the 7800gs last night. Tonight I'm going to see how it runs on Doom 3 and some others I have around.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 04:17 PM

Viggen: how much did the Nvidia card set you back? specific brand and card?
what app did you flash it with and what flash rom?

I figure that any reasonably recently produced AGP card that can be flashed ought to be better
than what's in my G5 2.5 currently (9600XT ATI).

If you a benchmarker such as macbench what does it say about the graphics with the flashed card?
( Last edited by Todd Madson; May 19, 2009 at 04:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules