Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > help with flashing 9800 gt

help with flashing 9800 gt
hx239
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2009, 03:02 PM

I'm running a 1st gen mac pro quad 3ghz with a nvidia 7300 card that came with my computer. I'm quite fed up with it's inadequacy, and have decided that I would like to get the 9800 GT. I realize that there is the 8800gt out now for 1st gens as well, which is the same thing, but its another 130 dollars.
I have been searching for a guide on how to flash a 9800 GT for my computer, but have not been able to find one (keep in mind I have never done anything like this before, nor do I know much about ROMs or any apps to use to do this with). If anyone could help point me in the right direction or simply tell me how to do it, that would be great. thanks =p

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2009, 04:44 PM

This Mac Rumors thread may be somewhat helpful:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=465792&page=3

I don't think Intel Mac cards need flashing. It just seems like they need EFI drivers, which the 9800 lacks.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 17, 2009 at 04:54 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 05:14 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

revMedia
Apr 4, 2009, 05:19 PM

I think you just need an 8800GT rom. Your board has to have a 1024K rom chip. PM me if you need the rom.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not going to work, because the card doesn't have an EFI ROM, so it can't initialize and actually communicate with the OS.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2009, 05:09 PM

Seems like they're getting them to work in OS X in the Hacintoshes, but I'm just going by what I'm reading.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2009, 12:08 AM

Seems like they're getting them to work in OS X in the Hacintoshes, but I'm just going by what I'm reading.
Right, because the Hackintoshes run BIOS, which lets the cards initialize. The Hackintoshes don't have EFI, just an EFI emulator that runs under the scope of BIOS.

In a real Mac, it's the reverse. A real Mac runs BIOS systems under a BIOS emulator which runs beneath EFI.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2009, 06:00 AM

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I didn't realize that either BIOS or EFI made any difference once the host OS is loaded.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 09:42 PM

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I didn't realize that either BIOS or EFI made any difference once the host OS is loaded.
They don't, but the hardware all has to initialize before the host OS loads. You can load on the special drivers on a Mac, but it won't make a different if the card can't actually talk to your firmware because the OS likely won't see it properly anyway.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 08:34 PM

I know it's theoretically possible to add a BIOS personality to EFI. I wonder if anyone is working on that to enable BIOS-based GPUs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules