Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.2!

Mac OS 9.2!
mad01357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 01:36 PM

<A HREF="http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/validate/agree.taf?item=92&lang=&geo=us" TARGET=_blank>Mac OS 9.2 Update-US - Export Compliance Agreement
</A>
--
mad01357

<DR>
Jun 30, 2001, 01:43 PM

I checked it out. After Clicking through it brings you to OS X 10.0.3 download page....not very helpful.

Raman
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 01:56 PM

Sure it is..

Didn't you know that the update to 9.1 is 10.0.3? heh heh heh

mad01357  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 01:58 PM

sorry...
--
mad01357

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2001, 04:47 PM

I din't get 10.0.3 I got -

Did not receive any response from application. It is possible that the application does not exist, or that the requested url is incorrect.

So maybe it's just not linked up yet
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<kangoooooo>
Jun 30, 2001, 09:36 PM

I got MacOS 9.2 agreement

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2001, 09:52 PM

I got the agreement as well, I meant after clicking on the agree link I got the above error not the 10.0.3 update.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 30, 2001, 10:15 PM

Moving to the Mac OS forum. Click through to find your thread.

thanks
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

maclove
Jul 7, 2001, 05:31 PM

Will a 9.2 be out or what what's going on.... Will we have to pay for the upgrade!!!!!

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 05:40 PM

Looks like I'll be staying at 9.1. I just can't abide by this:
You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

<me>
Jul 8, 2001, 09:52 PM

?

Before You Install

This document tells you how to prepare for installing Mac OS 9.2 and gives compatibility information and basic troubleshooting.

Before installing Mac OS 9.2, do these tasks:

� Mac OS 9.2 update requires Mac OS 9.1 if you are performing an auto or manual update.

� If you are installing from the CD, start up your computer using the Mac OS 9.2 CD by inserting the CD and holding down the C key until you see the CD background.

� Turn off any security software that you may have installed on your computer.

� Make sure your system will not go to sleep by dragging the slider in the Energy Saver control panel to "Never."

� If you have a PowerBook, make sure that it is plugged into AC power.

� If you are upgrading from Mac OS 8.1, start up from the Mac OS 9.2 CD.

If you're installing from a network, or if you can't start up from the Mac OS CD, be sure to do the following additional tasks:

� Turn off file sharing.

� Turn off any virus-protection software that you may have installed on your computer.

� Turn off all non-Apple extensions and control panels. Open the Extensions Manager control panel, then open the Selected Set pop-up menu and choose Mac OS All.

� Restart your computer.

To ensure a smooth upgrade, check with the manufacturers of any non-Apple software you use to make sure it is compatible with Mac OS 9.2. If you do experience a problem, see the troubleshooting chapter in your installation manual for information on isolating compatibility problems.

Compatibility information

IMPORTANT
� Mac OS 9.2 supports Mac OS X compatible computers
You can install this version of Mac OS 9.2 on any of the following computers: Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3, PowerBook G4, PowerBook G3 (except the original PowerBook G3), iMac, and iBook.

� Apple Language Kits and Mac OS 9.2
Apple's language kits are now included with the Mac OS. If you use language kits, you must upgrade both your system software and your language kits at the same time using the Mac OS 9.2 CD. Versions of Apple language kits prior to Mac OS 9.1 (Language Kits 1.1) are not compatible with Mac OS 9.2. To upgrade your system software and language kits, start up from the Mac OS 9.2 CD by inserting the CD and holding down the C key as you restart the computer. Continue holding down the C key until you see the CD background. Open the Mac OS Installer and click Customize in the Install Software panel. Select both the Mac OS Install and Language Kits, and remember to select the specific language kits you want to upgrade.

� Apple Language Kits and ATM Deluxe 4.5
ATM Deluxe 4.5 is not compatible with WorldScript I, the system extension used to support certain languages in Mac OS. Use ATM Deluxe 4.6 or later if you plan on using any of the following language kits: Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari, Gurmukhi, or Gujarati.

� GX desktop printers
If you have a GX desktop printer set up on your hard disk, a crash may occur during installation of Mac OS 9.2. Drag the GX desktop printer icon to the trash before you install.

If you are upgrading from Mac OS 8.1

� Third-party Finder and utility software
Some third-party programs that extend or add features to the Mac OS may be incompatible with Mac OS 9.2. Examples include programs that change the way menus work, change how files are stored, or alter the way you work with files in the Finder. Contact the software's manufacturer for information about using such programs with Mac OS 9.2. This is especially important if you're using a program that automatically alters the way files are stored (such as compressing them) because you might not be able to access those files until you obtain updated software for use with Mac OS 9.2.

Tips and troubleshooting suggestions

If you experience problems during installation, be sure to start up with the Mac OS CD by inserting the CD and holding down the C key as you restart the computer. Continue holding down the C key until you see the CD background.

Finding folders
The folder structure in Mac OS 9.2 makes it easier to find all your files and applications. Here are some changes you'll notice: the Applications folder is named "Applications (Mac OS 9);" the Apple Extras and Utilities folders are in the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder; Netscape Communicator and Internet Explorer are in the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. Browse your hard disk to get familiar with your new Mac OS, and use Sherlock to locate all your files and folders.

Updating your disk drivers
Some Apple-branded disks manufactured by third parties are not supported by the Apple disk utilities. If your disk cannot be updated with the Apple utilities, you�ll need to use a third-party disk utility to update the driver.

Repairing disks
If you see a message that your disk has problems and cannot be repaired, make sure file sharing is off, then try installing again. If that doesn�t work, try using another disk-repair utility. If you don�t have another utility, or if that utility also doesn�t work, you may need to reinitialize the disk. Copy all your files to another disk first, as reinitializing erases the disk. For more information about reinitializing, see the manual that came with your computer.

Updating your firmware
If you receive a message during installation that your firmware is out of date, follow the instructions for updating your firmware in the CD Extras folder on your Mac OS CD, or go to www.apple.com to find the latest firmware update.

Additional troubleshooting information is available in the pdf file, Installing Mac OS 9.2, located on the CD.

� 2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
Apple, the Apple logo, AppleShare, Macintosh, Mac, PowerBook, Power Macintosh, Power Mac, iMac, and iBook are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Finder is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. PowerPC is a registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation, used under license therefrom.

Updated April 30, 2001

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2001, 12:46 AM

&lt;me&gt;, where did you get that? Also look at http://www.thinksecret.com/

(50)

<yarddog>
Jul 9, 2001, 12:51 AM

I found something curious this weekend. I was updating my Mom's iMac via software update control panel and they did not have Mac OS 9.1 update listed on the server. She is running 9.0.4, so the update should have been there. Did they pull the update recently? Does this mean 9.2 is eminent?

<me>
Jul 9, 2001, 03:18 AM

I errrrrr found it... the 9.2 I mean... ;-) but I don't want to use my real ID here... =)

what do you wanna know about it?

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2001, 04:19 AM

The biggest question is...

How well does it perform as Classic? And will it fix my #$#$ ADSL problem (Classic can't use the OS X network properly - it just stalls after every 6kb operation).

Cheers &lt;me&gt;
Computer thez nohhh...

digdog
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2001, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>And will it fix my #$#$ ADSL problem (Classic can't use the OS X network properly - it just stalls after every 6kb operation).
</STRONG>
It's setting problem, just uncheck every options of PPPOE "advance" panel in your OS X System Preference, and everything will work fine.

<me>
Jul 9, 2001, 10:16 AM

About Mac OS 9.2

This section provides current information about Mac OS 9.2.

Starting up from the Mac OS 9.2 CD
When you start up from the Mac OS 9.2 CD, some features (such as the ability to play QuickTime movies in Mac Help) are not available. Use of all features is restored when you restart from your hard disk.

Using Acrobat PDF documents
Some documents included with Mac OS 9.2 were created using Adobe Acrobat (these files have "pdf" at the end of their names). Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view these documents. If you need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader, it is located in the Adobe software folder on the Mac OS 9.2 CD.

Drive Setup and Energy Saver
When you use Drive Setup to initialize or test a disk, make sure your system is set not to go to sleep by dragging the slider in the Energy Saver control panel to "Never." You can return it to your previous setting after the formatting is complete.

Monitor resolution changes after installation
Your monitor resolution may change from its previous settings when you perform a clean installation of Mac OS 9.2. You can change your monitor resolution back using the Monitors control panel.

Notes about compatibility

FontSync Profiles
FontSync Profiles and font references created with FontSync 1.0 will not work with FontSync 2.0 in Mac OS 9.2. Create new FontSync Profiles and font references with FontSync 2.0.

FileSharing over IP
If you are experiencing one or more of the following problems while using FileSharing over IP:
� long delays in waking your system when changing networks
� long delays on Startup or Shut Down
� long delays when starting or stopping File Sharing
use the Extensions Manager Control Panel to disable the SLPPlugin extension.

Apple CD-ROM extension and non-Apple CD/DVD driver incompatibilities
If you have a problem with a non-Apple CD or DVD drive, or you use an Apple CD or DVD drive with a non-Apple driver, you may need to remove the file named "Apple CD/DVD Driver" from the Extensions folder (in the System Folder), and reinstall the software that came with your CD/DVD drive. Contact the CD/DVD manufacturer to see if you have the latest version of their software.

Applications that install QuickTime
Some applications replace the version of QuickTime installed by Mac OS 9.2 with an earlier version. If this occurs, you need to reinstall QuickTime by selecting Add/Replace in the Mac OS Installer, and then doing a custom installation. For more help, open Mac Help and search for "adding or removing system software."

Problems opening applications
A small number of applications will not open if the system font is not set to Chicago. Others may require additional memory. If you have problems opening an application after you've installed Mac OS 9.2, try these possible solutions:

� Open the Appearance control panel and set the large system font to Chicago, then open the application again. Or, contact the software manufacturer to see if an updated version is available.

� Select the application's icon, then choose Get Info from the File menu. Increase the application's minimum memory allocation by 300K. For more information, see the Memory topic in Mac Help.

Apple HD SC Setup program
If you need to initialize your hard disk after installing Mac OS 9.2, use the Drive Setup program on your Mac OS 9.2 CD. Do not use the Apple HD SC Setup program.

FireWire hard disk drives
FireWire 2.8.2 includes a new built-in driver for many FireWire hard disk drives. This driver will be used automatically if the disk vendor's driver extension cannot be found. You should still install the vendor's software to get maximum features from FireWire storage devices.

Notes about printing

Switching between a LocalTalk network and a serial printer
If you use the same port to alternately connect to a LocalTalk network and a serial printer, the port may not reset properly after you turn off AppleTalk to use the printer. If you have trouble printing after turning off AppleTalk, restart your computer.

Reinstalling printer drivers
If an icon for your printer is not available in the Chooser after you have done a clean installation of Mac OS 9.2, you may need to reinstall the software that came with your printer.

� If you have a StyleWriter, StyleWriter II, or StyleWriter 1200, use the Color SW 1500 driver that comes with Mac OS 9.2 (instead of installing your original printer software).

� If you have a Color StyleWriter 2200 or 2400, install the Color StyleWriter 2500 driver that comes with Mac OS 9.2 (instead of installing your original printer software).

� If you have a Color StyleWriter 4000 Series printer, you can find the latest driver in the CD Extras folder on your system software CD.

You may also need to reinstall fonts that came with your printer software. Follow the instructions that came with your printer software.

Notes about Multiple Users environments

Using Epson printers
To print on an Epson printer, a user in the Limited or Panels environment should configure the Epson printer driver to use a spool folder located in the user's folder, or another location where the user can create files. In the Epson print dialog box, click the Tools button, then click Configuration. Then change the Temporary Spool and Temporary High Speed Copies folders locations.

Printer access in Multiple Users environments
Printers that do not appear on the desktop are not shown in the list of available printers in the Multiple Users control panel. To allow Limited or Panels users to use these printers, grant access to "all printers" or allow the users access to the Chooser.

Program compatibility
If you are experiencing problems in the Limited or Panels user environment, search Mac Help for "Multiple Users" to find troubleshooting and other important information about configuring your software.

Miscellaneous notes

Changing file names updates file modification date
If you alter the name of a file or folder in Mac OS 9.2, it will change the modification date of the enclosing folder.

RAM disk disappears when resized
If you reset the size of a RAM disk on your Mac OS 9.2 system, the icon may disappear from the desktop. When you restart your computer, the icon will reappear with its new size.

Power button sleep
Slot-loading iMac, G4 Cube, and most PowerMac G4 computers can be put to sleep by pressing the Power button. You can turn off this feature by deselecting the Power button sleep option in the Energy Saver control panel.

Apple Remote Access Personal Server
If you are using the Apple Remote Access Personal Server and you perform a clean installation of Mac OS 9.2, the server may not answer incoming calls correctly the first time you restart the computer after the installation. Restart your computer a second time before using the Apple Remote Access Personal Server.

� 2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2001, 11:07 AM

Just looks like a big ol' bug fix to me. Whoop de' doo...

What I WANT TO KNOW, is what the hell happened with the GeForce 2.1.1 update that was "released" then jerked back. I got it, updated my card's firmware, installed the drivers, and the update vanished. I'm now concerned there could be something wrong with the firmware update and/or drivers....

Is there cause for concern?

bojangles
Senior User
Jul 9, 2001, 11:19 AM

Interesting�. Check out this link from University of Utah. Do they know something we don�t?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

<me>
Jul 9, 2001, 11:20 AM

Nvidias drivers are now version 2.1.1 with creation date May the 10th!
ATI's drivers are updated as well...

Keychain is updated... making it possible to manually enter every kind of password, card info into the keychain... =)

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2001, 11:56 AM

&lt;me&gt; how about posting a screenshot of the about box and a link to where you found it?
Backup your Backup

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by israces:
<STRONG>&lt;me&gt; how about posting a screenshot of the about box and a link to where you found it?</STRONG>
So you're asking him to link to a sketchy Hotline server?

<me>
Jul 10, 2001, 01:05 PM

hyperizer:
All most right... someone supplied _me_ with it...

anyway, I got screenshots but i will not post them myself knowing that apple may hunt the ISP or service looking for the IP used on that specific machine posting those pics... ;-)

but if someone know a 100% anonymous host that allow me to post the pics... Then I will... =)

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 07:26 PM

Take a close look at this TIL article: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n120036

(52)

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 12:08 AM

So does anyone know what happened to a release of 9.2? I have developer friends who have had FC versions of it for a while now (no, I don't have a copy of it so don't ask for it), and it's supposed to be faster as Classic in X. And as I understand it, it's basically finished too. So why no official release? Even a quiet one like they did for 9.1...no announcement, just updated the SU servers.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2001, 12:35 AM

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by itomato:
<STRONG>Looks like I'll be staying at 9.1. I just can't abide by this:

</STRONG>
Well you had to agree on the exact same thing when you installed 9.1, so please stop using your Mac
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 01:20 AM

Here is some more information about the "missing" 9.2 update: http://www.macosrumors.com

(59)

<Mac OS 9.2 bug>
Jul 29, 2001, 04:01 PM

Carbonlib 1.3.1 in Mac OS 9.2 is still a problem on certain models like iMac DV with the drag & drop feature...But this time to put Carbonlib 1.2.5 instead doesn't change anything

<Mac OS 9.2 nobug>
Jul 29, 2001, 05:48 PM

Sorry it was a conflict with "N2MP3� Extension"...Everything is fine !
But nothing new in Mac OS 9.2 (under classic)

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 10:27 AM

"Take a close look at this TIL article: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n120036 "

Very observant of you! That's cool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules