Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme changing stability discussion

Theme changing stability discussion
Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 01:55 AM

This is just a continuance of this thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=258630

I started this thread out of respect of said program author.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Actually, just about any thread that deals with theming and we have at least a post from Zimp talking about manually installing themes.
I've told you a ZILLION times, stop exaggerating.

What is funny is, you are trying to chastise me for ranting, when you have recently gotten the title "Rantman" for bitching in about every darn thread you participate in about how someone is doing something wrong.

Case in point

Originally Posted by usernamewithheald
Yes, you're always right and everyone else is always wrong, Rantman.

You are the type of person who automatically just opposes a position...because.
Classic pot, kettle, black case here.
That's fine for you and we get that you prefer your way. That doesn't mean that others are wrong.
Nor have I said they were wrong. As a matter of fact, I said otherwise. If you are going to complain about me Rand, atleast make it legitimate claims.
As pointed out, this thread was originally about a haxie produced by someone else other than the folks at Unsanity. It does what it says but for many people who use themes, it doesn't work. Then the thread was hijacked into the pros/cons of APE and Shapeshifter, much of what was bandied about was incorrect.
Let it die.
Oh please, I only corrected this sentence.
it'll leave your system free from any modification.
With my reply
Originally Posted by Zimphire
Actually, that is not true. Haxies are modifications. And they do effect your computer.
One even smeger himself corrected in this post
I think the original post should have said that it'll leave your filesystem free of modification
That Jerk!111 sarcasm of course

I really did nothing you didn't do. Even you complained from the start

Interesting app but it doesn't play well with some apps when themes are loaded.
What started the disruption was the personal attacks and all out making up stuff like you just did in this post, and ZXspectrum did from the start of my first post.

All I got from him was baseless accusations too. Like how I had a grudge against haxies, or didn't like them.

If I was you Rand, I would actually go back and read the thread again.

Your only point with this post of yours was to post a personal attack against me. One not even based on the truth.

Do you think that was really worth posting?

I really expect better from you Rand.

Anyone trying to post the truth about something to shed light to it, esp about a product that people hold emotional attachment to, would have gotten the same response as I did.

Just like when people were proving Apple's claims of being TWICE as FAST were false.

You saw the zealots attack. They didn't care about the truth. Only their emotional attachment to said software or hardware.

Like someone defending a girlfriend that they have an emotional attachment too.

HOW DARE THEY SAY SOMETHING BAD AGAINST HER. But atlteast that is legit.

Feeling that way about software or hardware is kind a creepy.

For some reason, some people don't want to hear ANYTHING bad about a product that they are passionate for. Such feelings aren't healthy, and only makes apologetic excuses for making up FUD.

One should strive to know the truth. Not wallow in the FUD.

That is why people make fun of Mac and MS zealots of the like.

I doubt these people even realize how silly they come off.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Jun 5, 2005 at 04:23 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2005, 04:36 AM

Any time you're quoting Cody Dawg, I would think it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have no problems debating the subject. But even you have to admit the other one got majorly off-topic and quickly degraded into he said, she said type hyperbole.

There's a difference between being a zealot and simply expressing a POV. You may prefer not to use haxies, but many people do. And if you read around or look at the GUI forum, which I know you do, then you'd see that Shapeshifter tends to be a rock-solid app and its effectiveness is pretty good.
And while I don't know the Unsanity folks, other than threads here and a few other sites, it does seem as they're pretty good about keeping on top of things and trying to fix other bugs.
In fact, I wished others followed their lead.

So, all I have else to say on the subject is changing themes via Shapeshifter has never posed a problem from me on any Mac or any version of OSX that I've used that on.

And as far as FUD, two topics on one subject (which no one has actually said has happened) is a bit much, don't you think? The other thread was on a non-Unsanity haxie which doesn't work if SS in active. For those that don't use SS, it's a fair way to create a unified look.

As far as ranting, I would say that's a bit harsh but I would admit to making some extreme comments, mostly in a facetious manner, in some of the knee-kerk threads that certain people who inhabit this forum happen to make frequently.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 04:51 AM

Any time you're quoting Cody Dawg, I would think it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Would you like me to quote someone else that has complained to you about the same thing?

Not that I agree with them Rand. You like me just like to get the facts straight. And have a distaste for FUD being spread.
I have no problems debating the subject. But even you have to admit the other one got majorly off-topic and quickly degraded into he said, she said type hyperbole.
Oh I agree, but that hyperbole was not started by me. I was simply trying to correct the original poster before anyone was misguided. Smeger himself corrected him as well.
There's a difference between being a zealot and simply expressing a POV.
I agree. But attacking someone personally for expressing a POV (the truth) rails on zealotry.
You may prefer not to use haxies, but many people do.
And like I said, you need to read my posts Rand. I never said people shouldn't use haxies. I never had a problem with haxies. As a matter of fact, I said haxies were awesome, and I am glad they exist.
And if you read around or look at the GUI forum, which I know you do, then you'd see that Shapeshifter tends to be a rock-solid app and its effectiveness is pretty good.
It also has it's faults as anyone can see looking around the GUI forum. Wait, sorry, that was dishonest of me.

It also has users screwing it up because of user errors. No fault of SS.

See that is called being honest.
And while I don't know the Unsanity folks, other than threads here and a few other sites, it does seem as they're pretty good about keeping on top of things and trying to fix other bugs.
In fact, I wished others followed their lead.
Indeed, they are good at that as well. As well as offering themers a way to edit things they wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
So, all I have else to say on the subject is changing themes via Shapeshifter has never posed a problem from me on any Mac or any version of OSX that I've used that on.
Because you are a smart guy and wouldn't screw it up. Most of SS's problems stem from user error. Much like manually installed themes. It's not the process that is faulty.

That sir was my point.
And as far as FUD, two topics on one subject (which no one has actually said has happened) is a bit much, don't you think? The other thread was on a non-Unsanity haxie which doesn't work if SS in active. For those that don't use SS, it's a fair way to create a unified look.
I was talking about the FUD that it didn't modify the resources, or that is was somehow safer. That is all. See Rand, there are people that have actually been scared into believing manually modifying their system will require them to have to reinstall their OSs. Now ask yourself Rand, who would benefit from theme users believing this?
As far as ranting, I would say that's a bit harsh but I would admit to making some extreme comments, mostly in a facetious manner, in some of the knee-kerk threads that certain people who inhabit this forum happen to make frequently.
Well I can respect that. And I myself probably should have shown a bit more restraint.

I've just been sick of the pvt messages I have been getting from people calling me a retard for not using SS because I was going to screw up my system.

Or the pvt msgs from people asking me how I did it without messing up my system.

Someone has been spreading this FUD. And it hasn't been me.

And I don't see anyone on the other side of the fence trying to correct it for some odd reason..

I have nothing personal against smeger. I've always liked the guy.

I took it for granted he isn't doing this on purpose, and may actually BELIEVE it.

I guess that is on him.

Sounds like a no-so-clever marketing ploy to me though.

Reminds me of the kind of scare tactics MS uses against Linux.

Like SS has to worry about being overrun by installers taking over it's marketshare.

Installers and manually installed themes will always be the minority.

But the choice should always be present when possible.

There is nothing wrong with having choices right?
( Last edited by Zimphire; Jun 5, 2005 at 05:00 AM. )

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 11:01 AM

I started this thread out of respect of said program author.
2 late!!! you already disrespected the author by turning a simple post into a talk show!!!

i am happy to see that people don't post here Z belongs to "MacNN Lounge" there he can show his extraordinary talent for pulling people into a loop of Nothingness.

his title couldn't be more descriptive

King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness

BTW - Z why bother the Gui pepole? everytime that i will have some spare time i promise you i will meet you on the Lounge i find you very entertaining

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
2 late!!! you already disrespected the author by turning a simple post into a talk show!!!
No ZX you showing your ass is what disrupted the thread.
i am happy to see that people don't post here Z belongs to "MacNN Lounge" there he can show his extraordinary talent for pulling people into a loop of Nothingness.
Well I see you have the verbal masturbation thing down pat.
his title couldn't be more descriptive

King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
King of Nothingness
if you only knew the inside joke to that

BTW - Z why bother the Gui pepole? everytime that i will have some spare time i promise you i will meet you on the Lounge i find you very entertaining
The GUI people? ZX, I was in here designing GUIs for OS X before the PB days.
Not to toot my horn, but I had one of the first completely redesigned theme out for OS X. I still tinker when I have time.

So I am not bothering these "GUI people" as I am one of them.

Have been since the system 7 days.

Now get the foot out of your mouth.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 11:19 AM

You are like my dog z, i whistle and here you are good boy z

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 11:23 AM

You are like my dog z, i whistle and here you are good boy z
Wow someone has delusions of grandeur.

I am surprised your mom lets you on her computer for this long of a stretch.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 11:32 AM

Wow someone has delusions of grandeur.

I am surprised your mom lets you on her computer for this long of a stretch.
never fails...good doggie

you are 32 and still stuck with the mom joke. why do i have this feeling that you still live with you parents..don't you z

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 11:39 AM

ZX you forgot this in the other thread you are stalking me in too

And now you have earned this one

Now, I will expect yearly fanboy dues. I will give you my paypal account info when they come up.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 11:59 AM

i am a man of my word "BTW - Z why bother the Gui pepole? everytime that i will have some spare time i promise you i will meet you on the Lounge i find you very entertaining " every time you will spread your wisdom on the Lounge i will be there to support you.

BTW - you didn't answer my qutstion so i will assume that you do live with your mama

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 12:02 PM

i am a man of my word "BTW - Z why bother the Gui pepole?
Eye AM a Gui pepole retart. You don't pay attention.
everytime that i will have some spare time i promise you i will meet you on the Lounge i find you very entertaining " every time you will spread your wisdom on the Lounge i will be there to support you.
Right, you told me that. So?

But please do it. I don't see you doing that and sticking around much.
BTW - you didn't answer my qutstion so i will assume that you do live with your mama
No, no I don't. But yours stops by from time to time.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2005, 01:23 PM

You guys should chat or pm or something. Rather than discussing anything of value, it's become a slappy fight.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 01:37 PM

You guys should chat or pm or something. Rather than discussing anything of value, it's become a slappy fight.
just having some fun with the "King of Nothingness" he is taking me seriusly which is very funny
but i agree with you.

***i am sure that it will take no more then a few seconds and we will hear from the King

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

he is taking me seriusly
I am doing what?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:46 PM

jesus, what a bitch-fest. I was expecting a discussion about stability... guess I was wrong.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 11:46 PM

This is BitchNN

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 12:16 AM

Hey dipshizzle... did you create this thread so you could b!tch some more??? Well, here are a few questions for you. Actually, we would all prefer it if you didn't answer, but I know you can't resist, so we'll start ignoring you now – we know how you like to see your post count jump, so please feel free to create a new post to respond to each question.

Why must you create new threads just to have conversations with yourself?

Why is it that you created this thread with an innocent enough subject line, but didn't wait for anyone to respond so you decided to start quoting other members in the very next post from a previous thread? Is it so that people who may not have read the other thread will take what is said out of context and somehow believe you're a genius or being picked-on by a bully?

Why is it every time you post something, you feel the need to create 3, 4 even 5 posts to "reply" to something someone said in an entirely different thread?

Why do you believe every response to your posts is a direct "attack" against you? Do you actually think people here care enough about you to do that?

Don't you understand that many people responding to your posts are simply trying to get the truth out so that others aren't suckered into your BS?

Why do you feel the need to take everything so personally to the point where you create a thread just to defend the silly comments you've made in other threads?

Now I'll just bet that you're not man enough to NOT respond to this post. I'll bet you'll try, but you will NOT be able to resist. It's just not in you. The mods locking this thread doesn't count either!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MacDog
Why must you create new threads just to have conversations with yourself?
I created this thread to keep the fanboys out of the other. But it didn't work. They just whined in both.
Why is it that you created this thread with an innocent enough subject line, but didn't wait for anyone to respond so you decided to start quoting other members in the very next post from a previous thread?
If you read the previous thread, you'd have known why.
[quote[Why do you believe every response to your posts is a direct "attack" against you? Do you actually think people here care enough about you to do that? [/quote]
I believe that? Wow news to me.
Don't you understand that many people responding to your posts are simply trying to get the truth out so that others aren't suckered into your BS?
My BS? Quite a few people that have no interest involved in this has said I was right. I have logically explained why I was right.

So unless you can somehow prove what I said was BS (something smeger couldn't do) I suggest you stop making a fool out of yourself.
Why do you feel the need to take everything so personally to the point where you create a thread just to defend the silly comments you've made in other threads?
I am taking it personally? I was trying to do the author of said software a favor.

The same author that isn't upset with me for this, but for some reason, many other people that have nothing to do with it, are getting their panties in a knot about.
Now I'll just bet that you're not man enough to NOT respond to this post. I'll bet you'll try, but you will NOT be able to resist. It's just not in you. The mods locking this thread doesn't count either!
MAN enough to not respond to this post when you just asked me to?

What kind of pretentious silliness is that? Just how old are you?

I suggest you remove the chip off your shoulder.

Really.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 11:11 AM

This pi$$ing contest is still going on?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 11:16 AM

Rand, the author of said software in said thread even agreed, and is not mad.

Why these people are getting their panties in a knot is beyond me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules