Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ryanair sues the UK government for millions

Ryanair sues the UK government for millions
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 10:28 AM

Let it be said that I despise Ryanair and what they've done to the European airline business and I think Ryanair's CEO Michael O'Leary is the ultimate opertunistic capitalist scum. I base these opinions on previous actions of Mr. O'Leary and the company he runs, Ryanair.

However, for the first time I find myself in complete and utter agreement with him. Ryanair is suing the UK government for 3 million pounds for the losses that the company has suffered because of the unnecessary, draconian, feelgood-yet-meaningless, but above all stupid security measures still in effect in UK airports.

Let Michael O'Leary explain (WiMP):

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...6_1300,00.html

Why, after three weeks can't the UK get back to normal? The terrorists have been apprehended, their scheme dismantled. Fear tactics from the Blair regime?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 10:34 AM

Commercial suicide. Everyone I've spoken to says they'll be boycotting Ryanair from now on.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Commercial suicide. Everyone I've spoken to says they'll be boycotting Ryanair from now on.
I've been boycotting Ryanair for years now

I'd like to see them go bankrupt, but in this rare instance I think O'Leary has a point. The security rules that are in effect in UK airports now are ineffective and are more of a bother for airlines and passangers than terrorists. In fact, they are inconsequential for terrorists.

El-Al and airports in Israel have *effective* security measures. What's with the re-inventing of the wheel in UK airports? We already know how to prevent terrorism of airlines. No El-Al plane has been hi-jacked or in any other way been subject to terrorism for decades.

If the airport security is sane, effective and logical and the civil police continues to root up terrorists then life can go on as normal. This is just letting terrorsits know that if they so much as break wind the westerners lose it. This is encouraging them.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
El-Al and airports in Israel have *effective* security measures. What's with the re-inventing of the wheel in UK airports?
It's Britain. Owned and operated by idiots.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 11:25 AM

I fly RyanAir - they've been fine so far, smooth flights, on time and cheap.

but I've not been with them when anything has gone wrong so can't comment how they handle things like that.

Once I was flying from City Airport on Cross Air - which was delayed - CA then delayed the connecting flight at Basel so we made the connection (it was on the same ticket). I'm not sure such things would happen with RyanAir - but for short hops around Europe they're fine (so far).

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 11:28 AM

the UK gov't is doing a good job - one in five Britons want to leave the country according to this:

10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK - Sunday Times - Times Online

Forum Links
Forum Rules