Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iSight Problem - iMac Core 2 Duo

iSight Problem - iMac Core 2 Duo
millkim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 07:21 PM

So, I'm new to the Mac world, I just received my new iMac yesterday, and I can't get my iSight to work. I was getting a green screen in Photobooth, now it's a grey screen, and I'm getting a green screen when I open that "Mirror" wigget. If I open iMovie and import video from the iSight it works, but it won't work in the other two programs. I'm not trying to run the programs at the same time or anything like that, I'm really confused on why this isn't working.

Any suggestions?

Graham UK
Sep 25, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by millkim
So, I'm new to the Mac world, I just received my new iMac yesterday, and I can't get my iSight to work. I was getting a green screen in Photobooth, now it's a grey screen, and I'm getting a green screen when I open that "Mirror" wigget. If I open iMovie and import video from the iSight it works, but it won't work in the other two programs. I'm not trying to run the programs at the same time or anything like that, I'm really confused on why this isn't working.

Any suggestions?
Yes, I'm also finding that my iSight is no longer working. I have the recently released 17" Core2Duo (Intel Integrated Graphics) iMac. Is this the same model you have? Another user on another forum has had the same problem with this model so I wonder if it is model-specific or is happening across the new iMac range?

millkim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Graham UK
Yes, I'm also finding that my iSight is no longer working. I have the recently released 17" Core2Duo (Intel Integrated Graphics) iMac. Is this the same model you have? Another user on another forum has had the same problem with this model so I wonder if it is model-specific or is happening across the new iMac range?
Yes, that is the same machine I have. I had it working for a while, but since I've downloaded the latest service pack that updated me to 10.4.8 I can't get it to work again.... grr... I think I'm going to call Apple Support.... I'll post my findings after I'm done...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2006, 07:36 AM

Try resetting the PRAM, after the apple chime, hold command (apple key)+option (alt key)+p+r until you hear it chime again

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 7, 2006, 08:33 AM

Calling Apple support might be a good idea - I wouldn't go sending it in for repair until you are certain it is a hardware issue.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 11:56 AM

It's definitely not a problem restricted to that 17" model nor, I'm afraid, is it necessarily due to the 10.4.8 upgrade. I have the 20" C2D and, right out of the box, running 10.4.7 (pre-installed), I've not seen anything from the iSight except that green screen and, once or twice, an alert dialog telling me my iSight was in use by another application (which it certainly wasn't).

Even as I type now, the green iSight light to the right of the lens is on, owing I guess to the recent installation of the Mirror widget and still there is nothing being received.

Yes, there are others out there, with all models of the new iMac. I've even seen someone on the forums at MacFixIt.com (another good site, if you don't already know) and at Apple's own struggling with the same.

Some have had a bit of success with resetting the Power Management Unit (PMU). To try this, shut down your machine, then remove all cables (power, keyboard, mouse, peripherals, etc--the whole lot) and let her sit for a bit, maybe a few minutes or even overnight, if you can stand it. Then attach all cables and fire up again.

See if that helps. But, if it does, be prepared to find the iSight gone again at some point. Conventional wisdom is pointing to a software issue at this point.

Good luck. I too plan to call Apple this morning.
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2006, 11:58 AM

Try resetting the PRAM as I said earlier.

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Try resetting the PRAM as I said earlier.
Thanks, but the PRAM reset did nothing for me. The real shame is that the built-in isight was never a deal maker or breaker for me. I love my new machine but, if it's going to come with something built-in, that something better work!

Various Peripherals

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 05:46 PM

So, I called Apple and, though "Brian" said it must be a hardware issue and that I'd need to take it in for servive, I don't know that I'm in such a rush to do that. I just go this machine on Monday and it's working beautifully, save for the iSight. And, as I might have said earlier, the camera was never a deal-maker or -breaker but, yeah, don't present me with a special "bonus" add-on feature that doesn't work.

The closest Apple Store is about an hour away and, since I have another 90 days free phone support and another 9 months of warranty coverage after that (before I might consider AppleCare), I'm inclined to watch the boards for a while to see if anybody comes up with something. Doesn't appear to be on the front burner in the Apple kitchen.

And, just because I'm a masochist, I might jump off of here, erase and wipe my drive and do another clean install. Though, as this problem started for me right out of the box, I'm not expecting any miracles.

I don't know if this matters but, anyone calling Apple, might want to mention Case #69260445. I don't know if divulging that info is any sort of a security issue but, if you should learn any interesting and salacious "facts" about me, please don't tell my mother. She still thinks I'm a man.

Various Peripherals

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 7, 2006, 08:20 PM

I have the 17" Core2Duo w/ the x1600 and my iSight works flawlessly as does the rest of the machine, really a joy to use. I don't know what to say to you guys.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac
I have the 17" Core2Duo w/ the x1600 and my iSight works flawlessly as does the rest of the machine, really a joy to use. I don't know what to say to you guys.
Are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8?

Various Peripherals

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 7, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Storyboy
Are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8?
I'm running 10.4.8 now, but I fired up the iSight right after I got the machine w/ 10.4.7 and it worked then too, I wonder if it simply isn't connected or something, green or grey sounds like there is just no signal coming from the device, I dunno though.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2006, 07:06 AM

This problems also seeems to have happened on MacBooks so I think it's software rather than hardware.

bealzabobs_youruncle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 08:51 AM

Just got my 20" iMac last night, iSight worked with 10.4.7 and works fine after the 10.4.8 update as well. This is on the Apple boards alot, reset SMC seems to do the trick.

JerryB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 10:12 PM

I have had my 20" C2D a week and updated to 10.4.8 after setting up. Fingers crossed, so far every thing seems to be fine, including i-Sight.

Good Luck

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2006, 01:00 AM

As it's still not even been 2 weeks since I took delivery on my original iMac, MacConnection did a fair exchange for me. They actually overnighted a new one and I can keep the old until I transfer all my stuff (which is done already, so it goes back Monday).

Back when I spoke to AppleCare the guy told me my case could be a hardware issue, seeing how a lot of folks out there had usage of iSight at one time or another, on at least one app or another, while I had only the green screen everywhere, from day one and none of the proposed fixes did anything for me.

So, now iSight works beautifully in all applications, running 10.4.7.

I really didn't think MacConnection would offer such an amenable solution. They hooked me up, Big Time!

I'm still leery about the 10.4.8 update but I might go forward tonight.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Various Peripherals

frisby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 10:21 AM

Tried all of the pram resetting and ext.

I opened photobooth. Green Screen.

I unplugged my fire wire connection with a video capture device (VTR)

I opened photobooth and saw may frustrated face smile.

That's what worked for me.

Glad I found this forum.

Frisby

100plus1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 10:42 PM

Im having the same exact problem on my 20" intel duo core imac, Ive tried everything and in system profile under USB it doesnt even show the isight (internal). It worked on first boot then I installed bootcamp and 10.4.8 and then the camera is completely gone!!!
15.4" macbook pro

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 12:14 AM

As I mentioned earlier, it took a replacement of my iMac to solve it for me. I've not yet seen any news coming out of Apple on this. I wonder if the replacement unit I have was a "secret update," done to address the problem?

I'm still curious but, again, my new machine is running without a flaw now.

Various Peripherals

100plus1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 02:18 AM

yeah its crazy cause every now and then when I boot into XP the isight works, but very rarely.
15.4" macbook pro

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 01:39 AM

I just got a 20" iMac C2D. iSight was dead out of the box. The green light came on, but nothing in photo booth, iMovie, or iChat.

Took it in, Apple ordered the internal cord, and the camera. It's been in for 2 days and status is now that it's fixed. No idea what they did, but plan on picking it up tomorrow.

Sound's like a QA problem.

Other than the iSight it was a great computer for the day I had it. I was confounded by the fact that I called them, the same day I got the computer with a faulty camera, and I had to take it to a store. Seems as though they shipped me a faulty product, one would think they'd replace it, or round trip ship it. Either way, glad it's fixed.

-Jason

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 PM

Additional update...

Went to get my iMac back from service at the Fifth Avenue Flagship store in Manhattan. Multiple chips out of multiple places on the casing, and scratched support stand.

This computer was delivered to me on the 2nd, I took it to the apple store on the 4th, went back to pick it up on the 9th. It was all scratched up. I called today (13th Nov) to see about it, AppleCare told me it was complete. I went in tonight, and it wasn't done yet. I've just about had it. I've been a long time mac fan, I love the platform, but this service treatment is getting rediculous. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

bluepigdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 03:49 PM

I have a brand new 13 Core 2 Duo Macbook... same deal... camera worked for a few days and now the dreadede green screen. Ugh.. Seems like it is not machine specific. It works with some other programs, but photobooth and iChat produce nothing. I will post a fix if I come across one. Hang in there...

bluepigdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

So far the resetting of the SMC has been the trick. You can check the Apple Support page to find out how to do it for your particular machine. Hope this helps.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by frisby View Post
Tried all of the pram resetting and ext.

I opened photobooth. Green Screen.

I unplugged my fire wire connection with a video capture device (VTR)

I opened photobooth and saw may frustrated face smile.

That's what worked for me.

Glad I found this forum.

Frisby
I register to your forum just for this post

Sorry for my english, I'm french ! lol

You have the solution up to this post !

The problem become with multi source of video (video flux).

If you have something plugin in FireWire (USB maybe) for video (like video camera, or video aquisition), you have a second source of video on you mac !

So, now, you have to choose the source video.

In skype, or iMovie, the default source will be the iSight.
But in photobooth or iChat, it's the second source (your external source) selected !

After, it depends of the application.
In iChat, in preference, you can choose the source video. In photobooth, you can't (the application is too simple).

Danster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 02:07 PM

A simple diagnosis is booting to an external firewire drive with the MacOS installed on it. Once you choose the external drive as the startup disk you can launch the photobooth.
-I've recently installed Parallels for this machine and all was working fine until after all the updates were installed. Needless to say I was able to verify the issue with the camera is not hardware..

Danster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 02:38 PM

No Video
No Video, No Boot Chime, White LED ON (Symptom 1)
The iMac (Early 2006) will turn on (indicated by the front LED ON), but there is NO boot chime
and No Video on the display. The faint sound of the fans, hard drive, and optical drive may also
be heard.
Reset the SMC (Formerly SMU).
From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold
the power button until it turns off).
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the
same time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
Press the power button on the back of the computer to start up your computer.

sleeplessj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

I have a Macbook pro and I unplugged my firewire connected to my Camera and the problem went away immediately.

stephentoback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 04:34 PM

Thanks for this posting. My MacBook had the same problem this morning - green light on the built in iSight stayed lit and only got a gray then a green screen in Photo Booth. I removed the battery for about 5 minutes and when it rebooted, the green light was off. Cool. It now works.

Now if I could only get the dang DVD out of the DVD drive...

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 05:35 PM

Have you tried holding down the trackpad's button when booting the MacBook? This usually works for me.

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

Opspin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 03:03 PM

I think after iMovie HD quit unexpectedly, I wasn't able to show video in Skype, I assumed it had something to do with skype but since there was just green in Photobooth, I thought it was something more.

I will try shutting down the computer, remove power and battery, hold down powerbutton 5 secs and then boot back up, and report the results here !

Opspin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 03:08 PM

So I did the described steps, and it worked like a charm! I have no idea what was wrong, but now it works!

dreamthr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 11:09 AM

Same here with the green Photo Booth. I have an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo.

I recently connected a Canapus video converter via Firewire. It's basically another camera. I unplugged it, opened Photo Booth and there I was!

Thanks sleepslessj and Pyby for your help.

soho2014
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Danster View Post
No Video
No Video, No Boot Chime, White LED ON (Symptom 1)
The iMac (Early 2006) will turn on (indicated by the front LED ON), but there is NO boot chime
and No Video on the display. The faint sound of the fans, hard drive, and optical drive may also
be heard.
Reset the SMC (Formerly SMU).
From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold
the power button until it turns off).
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the
same time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
Press the power button on the back of the computer to start up your computer.
Thanks a lot. I tried this, and now it works fine!!!!!!!!!!

hannah Esworthy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 09:56 PM

i have the regular macbook and i also had the green light pervading all my isight applications. i simply put it to sleep, removed my battery for a minute or two, popped it back in and viola! my photobooth is working again!

Brian Westphal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 10:28 PM

If you happen to have VMWare (or possibly Parallels) check to make sure it doesn't "own" the USB device for the internal iSight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules