Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Python: how to compile an app?

Python: how to compile an app?
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 10:27 AM

Hi guys. First off, I'm no developer.. and what I'm looking for is a simple explaination on how to compile a ready python application from source.

I've found instructions on the net for compiling it in Windows, but on the Mac, I haven't seen any obvious ones. Remember my eyes kind of glaze over when seeing long tech texts. I've seen those and maybe somewhere within are explainations of how to compile, but I can't find it.

I tried and failed. I just don't know anything about programming.

That shouldn't prevent me from compiling something, I mean I compile things with Fink all the time. I still haven't got a clue how it works deep down.

So, my question is this: how can I compile this source on OS X?

http://pdevine.home.sonic.net/20071206sundog.tar.gz

It's a simple freeware game written in Python. I've hit a wall and the learining curve is apparently rather steep. To hard to climb alone, so I ask for help from you guys..

Thanks!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2007, 07:27 PM

The easiest way to "compile" a python app is to run it from the command line:

To do that, open up the Terminal.app and change directories until you're at the root of the game. To compile it, just type "python test.py" (no quotes) at the command line.

(After trying to run it myself, I saw I didn't have the "pygame" module installed. You might need to find a version that runs on OS X and install it yourself)

Forum Links
Forum Rules