Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I merge podcasts in iTunes? [pix]

How do I merge podcasts in iTunes? [pix]
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 05:28 PM

Hi there!

I've subscribed to Le Show for almost three years and I've had to go through three different Macs in that time and a few re-installs of the OS, which has created this:

I'd really like this to be in one section, one group - it's all the same podcast, after all. iTunes has taken upon itself to create new sections when I moved the library to a new Mac and then new sections again when I've copied the iTunes Music folder from backup copies I had.

All the files are in the same folder on the hard-drive though, so I don't understand why iTunes insists on treating them as they belong to different podcasts, when they do not.

Any suggestions?
( Last edited by voodoo; Oct 12, 2008 at 05:39 PM. )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2008, 10:00 AM

You could use a smart playlist to put them all together.
Mary

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
You could use a smart playlist to put them all together.
Yes, that's true - but I was hoping there could be a more definitive solution, because browsing by date that way is little less cumbersome.. especially through the iPod touch.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it makes life a notch easier.

That said I think it is very bad that one can't unify podcasts which clearly belong together. I don't even know why exactly this separation occurred. After all this is still the same podcast I originally subscribed to.

I suppose some sort of XML hacking of the iTunes library could fix this, but I don't really know how. Organize should be a key word in iTunes.

hmccorkle
Oct 13, 2008, 07:02 PM

It looks like the tagging deviates from podcast to podcast. Have you considered renaming them to be the same?
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by hmccorkle View Post
It looks like the tagging deviates from podcast to podcast. Have you considered renaming them to be the same?
Allright, but I don't know how I do that. The podcasts do deviate in desription, but there isn't any coherence to grouping by desrcription.

I tried to move all the podcasts physically out of the iTunes folder, erased all the Le Show sections and resubscribed. Then added the older ones by dragging them to the iTunes window and they all copied themselves in - but in even more sections..

I am truly bewildered. The probem has now multiplied! Instead of the six sections of Le Show, I now have more than a dozen. Fewer in each section than before. Some containing only one episode. What happened? How can I convince iTunes that they are all the same?!

... I am really confused.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2008, 09:20 PM

Have you tried selecting them all, then doing a Get Info and changing the data there?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 03:09 AM

Yes do what dimmer has said! More explicitly just click on one off the Shows to get info of (Artist, Album & Genre also Name) these will be the key definitions in sorting your library.

I had Apple podcasts "WWDC Keynote" & "Special Event" downloaded individually, then with iTunes update 8.0 & 8.1 viewing in Podcasts or Categories was messed-up. I then decided to organise it just by doing the above... but because I was downloading these podcasts from USA & I'm in another country I saw they where available in my country store so re-downloaded them & all was fine. Sorting manually does work it's always best to do one first to see that it will match then select the rest of the group you want don't try to add to much info just the above will do.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
Yes do what dimmer has said! More explicitly just click on one off the Shows to get info of (Artist, Album & Genre also Name) these will be the key definitions in sorting your library.

I had Apple podcasts "WWDC Keynote" & "Special Event" downloaded individually, then with iTunes update 8.0 & 8.1 viewing in Podcasts or Categories was messed-up. I then decided to organise it just by doing the above... but because I was downloading these podcasts from USA & I'm in another country I saw they where available in my country store so re-downloaded them & all was fine. Sorting manually does work it's always best to do one first to see that it will match then select the rest of the group you want don't try to add to much info just the above will do.
Very good, I have tried this and synchronized 15 episodes of Le Show completely - however it doesn't seem to change anything.. further more some are classified as 'Design' and others as 'Unknown' and I can't change that at all.

Hmmmm...

Then I tried to add a single epidode and it appeard in two places, one marked new and one marked not new. When I deleted one, both disappeared.

WTF!

Forum Links
Forum Rules