Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can AppleTV Gen 4 play video audio to multiple speaker sources?

Can AppleTV Gen 4 play video audio to multiple speaker sources?
Anto39x
Jan 5, 2017, 07:14 PM

Hi all.....

I have a Samsung SUHD UE8500 55inch Curved TV with a Samsung HW-J6500R Curved Soundbar.

Yesterday I received my AppleTV Gen 4 which, by the way, as I have been a PLEX convert now for about 1 year.... but my PLEX TV app is problematic... so the PLEX app on my new Apple TV is a revelation.

I also have a high end hi-if system with Rotel Amps and B&W floor speakers that sits at the back of my living room. I have a ARCAM IR DAC that plays my Spotify or iTunes music either as a direct connection through USB or AirPlay.

Can I have my TV playing through the PLEX app with the audio coming from both my Samsung Soundbar and my Rotel Hi-Fi system ? I have contacted and asked Apple support... and they have informed me that AppleTV doesn't allow this feature.... but is there a third party work around... because if I could get my hi-fi in on the act in my living, I truly would have a cinematic viewing and hearing experience.

Any comments or suggestion most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2017, 01:37 PM

As far as I know, there's no workaround.

Keeping that in sync would be difficult. It's not impossible, but making it bulletproof is probably more effort then Apple thinks it's worth.

You can do it from a computer with third-party software, but last time I tried it, it didn't work particularly well. Video was jumpy.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 6, 2017, 02:01 PM

Does your high-end HiFi system include a receiver? If so, the receiver may be able to separate the sound and send it multiple ways. The AppleTV would be sending out over HDMI as usual and wouldn't know anything different was happening.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2017, 12:50 PM

Can't you hook the TV to the HIFI system? I used to do that and it was easy and made for great sound.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules