Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Winning gadget at WWDC?

Winning gadget at WWDC?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 12:55 PM

Anyone know what the winning gadget is?

kman

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2004, 12:59 PM

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 01:08 PM

I thought they well all sorta gay.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 01:09 PM

There is (was?) a competition for the best Dashboard widget (gadget? - which is it?) this week at WWDC.

osxisfun
Jul 2, 2004, 01:14 PM

i think he means the one where apple was going to give away a powerbook for the best new gadget.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Do you mean the "Apple Design Award" winners?
No, I believe there was a separate, AdHoc-style contest for creating a Dashboard widget...

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 02:36 PM

Yes, I was speaking of the Dashboard Gadget contest.

BTW, despite what Steve said, I think the proper term is gadget, not widget as gadget is the term used everywhere else. Of course, that is subject to change w/o notice due to the pre-release nature of the software.

kman

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
Yes, I was speaking of the Dashboard Gadget contest.

BTW, despite what Steve said, I think the proper term is gadget, not widget as gadget is the term used everywhere else. Of course, that is subject to change w/o notice due to the pre-release nature of the software.

kman
Do they have anything about it online? I couldn't find anything at developer.apple.com.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2004, 05:27 PM

The entries are due today. I wouldn't expect an announcement until tonight.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

piracy
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/dashboard.html
Cool stuff.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 10:20 PM

Where's one for Othello?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/dashboard.html
Neat! Too bad they aren't up for download, though.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 10:14 AM

I love to see two students win the contest. It just bodes well for the platform. It's also nifty that they incorporated the gnu game engine under the hood; it's a nice demonstration of how to take existing apps and put a Gadget front-end on them. We are going to have a gazillion Gadgets by the time Tiger is released. I've already thought of several ideas. I just wish I new JS, HTML, and still had developer access (it was easy when I was a student, but since I am only a hobbyist/own-use programmer it isn't practical anymore).

kman

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 11:19 AM

I liked the iTunes one, but maybe not so bulky.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 11:50 AM

How confusing, the WWDC preview calls the widgets, gadgets, and steve called the gadgets, widgets. Maybe they changed the name between builds...

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2004, 05:04 PM

I think we should just call these dashboard "apps"; Ding-dongs

That would clear up some confusion.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
How confusing, the WWDC preview calls the widgets, gadgets, and steve called the gadgets, widgets. Maybe they changed the name between builds...
Steve called them widgets, and the Apple PR page calls them widgets. I kind of wonder if maybe there was a change once they realized that people had drawn a connection between "widget" and Konfabulator.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I thought they well all sorta gay.
Aren't you gay? Are you saying that all the gadgets are cool? Or not cool?
Just curious...
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 06:51 AM

lol.. just port over the konfab widgets .. and if not, just make a bunch that look like 'em =P .. i liked a bunch of konfabulator's widgets .. i just didnt wanna pay 25 bux for such a thing...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
Aren't you gay? Are you saying that all the gadgets are cool? Or not cool?
He's just making an objective statement about the gadgets' preferences for other gadgets.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Where's one for Othello?
!!! You have no idea how hilarious that is! Chris said he wanted to write a Go game, so I said "Sure, let's grab the source for GNU Go and get to it!". We had a major communication breakdown about halfway through writing when I told him to put the pieces on the intersections of the lines instead of inside the squares. He thought we were writing Othello!

Not that I'm complaining. The gadget looks awesome, and it won us a powerbook, which is for sure better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

-- Carl

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Goboard will be up by the end of the week. We spoke to the runner-up, a nice japanese guy, when we picked up our prizes, and he said his would be posted as well. Apple Legal wouldn't allow screenshots, since it has the baseball team's logo incorporated with the gadget. It's a pretty neat little thing - but probably not useful unless you are a japanese baseball fan.

-- Carl

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 02:15 PM

Many Congrats Carl - Are you going to cut the PB in half?
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 03:36 PM

We haven't discussed the prize very much yet, we are still shocked that we won! From what I saw at the conference, there should be some neat gadgets available when Tiger ships. I'm not so sure on a personal level that this Dashboard thing is such a good idea, but we'll have to see what happens.

-- Carl

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Carl Norum:
Goboard will be up by the end of the week. We spoke to the runner-up, a nice japanese guy, when we picked up our prizes, and he said his would be posted as well. Apple Legal wouldn't allow screenshots, since it has the baseball team's logo incorporated with the gadget. It's a pretty neat little thing - but probably not useful unless you are a japanese baseball fan.

-- Carl
Congrats! Can't wait to download them. I wanna check out how they made the baseball one, and see if I can't figure out how to make a Yankees one from that.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 05:22 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to download them. I wanna check out how they made the baseball one, and see if I can't figure out how to make a Yankees one from that.
I've always wanted someone to make a baseball scores dockling, but I haven't seen one. A gadget would be even better. If you get it working for the Yankees it should be hard to add all of the teams (even other sports).

kman

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 05:25 PM

I've always wanted someone to make a baseball scores dockling, but I haven't seen one. A gadget would be even better. If you get it working for the Yankees it should be hard to add all of the teams (even other sports).

kman
There must be a way to get them. It uses JavaScript, and all the scores are here.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 05:36 PM

I can't see that it would be super difficult to do for any sport or anything like that. Most sports web pages are going to provide you an RSS feed, which makes your parsing easy, or even better maybe you can set up some kind of SOAP thing to do it all. The Tigers widget that was the runner up had some other neat features; it plays the official song of the team, and lots of its code gets downloaded and run through XML so the widget on your computer is a lot smaller and more easily updated by the developer.

-- Carl

fuzzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 08:54 PM

Hey Folks!

It's Chris Mullens here from the GoBoard duo.

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Where's one for Othello?
Soon enough. When I get some time, I am going to make an OBoard or Dashello Funny story about Othello... well, I guess Carl sums it up best:

Originally posted by Carl Norum:
!!! You have no idea how hilarious that is! Chris said he wanted to write a Go game, so I said "Sure, let's grab the source for GNU Go and get to it!". We had a major communication breakdown about halfway through writing when I told him to put the pieces on the intersections of the lines instead of inside the squares. He thought we were writing Othello!
Heh. In my defense, I had played Othello on and off for a long time. When I migrated over to OS X and started doing Cocoa development, I searched for UNIX/C engines, but came up short.

Frequenting slashdot led me to many articles and posts on the game Go. I had never played a game myself, but had read briefly on how it was played and mostly the difficulties creating an AI for the game. I was more interested in the Chess Vs. Go complexity debates than the game itself. It's Othello that I like to play.

When it came time to program a widget, I brainstormed a LOT, and made a shortlist of things I'd like to do. I knew the GNUGo engine was out there from hunting for Othello way back, so I proposed it to Carl. I still had Othello in my head, however, up until the GUI debacle.

I love to see two students win the contest. It just bodes well for the platform. It's also nifty that they incorporated the gnu game engine under the hood; it's a nice demonstration of how to take existing apps and put a Gadget front-end on them. We are going to have a gazillion Gadgets by the time Tiger is released. I've already thought of several ideas. I just wish I new JS, HTML, and still had developer access (it was easy when I was a student, but since I am only a hobbyist/own-use programmer it isn't practical anymore).
Thanks for the feedback, kman! We were unbelievably shocked to find out we won the contest. We are grateful to Apple for showing their support for students internationally, and the GNUGo team for all of their hard work on the engine. It will take some time to incorporate more features into GoBoard, but we are happy the way things turned out!

As for developement, hit the Javascript and Photoshop tutorials. An entire widget can be programmed in Javascript and run/tested in a browser. Once the Dashboard SDK becomes public, then incorporate some of the final touches.

If you need to use Obj-C, look into the WebKit plugin api and go from there.

Good luck, and have fun!

I'll be making a download page with the artwork, photos, screenshots, and source to GoBoard. I'm not too sure about our NDA, Tiger, the Dashboard SDK, and sourcecode from Apple widgets, but I dont think it will be a problem.

Anyhow, it's great to hear feeback about our little widget! I'll work hard to get it presentable for the public and to work with Carl on a 1.0 relelase soon!

Thanks for all your positive comments,
-Chris

Funny Bugga
Jul 5, 2004, 10:03 PM

Carl and Chris, Good works! Why is your name in brackets on the Apple page Chris?

I was searching for more widgets earlier and came across The Dashboarder. Pity there aren't many widgets there yet, but maybe once you two start making more it will catch on!
Be nice to other people; they outnumber you 6 billion to one.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by fuzzy:
Hey Folks!

It's Chris Mullens here from the GoBoard duo.

Soon enough. When I get some time, I am going to make an OBoard or Dashello Funny story about Othello... well, I guess Carl sums it up best:

Heh. In my defense, I had played Othello on and off for a long time. When I migrated over to OS X and started doing Cocoa development, I searched for UNIX/C engines, but came up short.

Frequenting slashdot led me to many articles and posts on the game Go. I had never played a game myself, but had read briefly on how it was played and mostly the difficulties creating an AI for the game. I was more interested in the Chess Vs. Go complexity debates than the game itself. It's Othello that I like to play.

When it came time to program a widget, I brainstormed a LOT, and made a shortlist of things I'd like to do. I knew the GNUGo engine was out there from hunting for Othello way back, so I proposed it to Carl. I still had Othello in my head, however, up until the GUI debacle.

Thanks for the feedback, kman! We were unbelievably shocked to find out we won the contest. We are grateful to Apple for showing their support for students internationally, and the GNUGo team for all of their hard work on the engine. It will take some time to incorporate more features into GoBoard, but we are happy the way things turned out!

As for developement, hit the Javascript and Photoshop tutorials. An entire widget can be programmed in Javascript and run/tested in a browser. Once the Dashboard SDK becomes public, then incorporate some of the final touches.

If you need to use Obj-C, look into the WebKit plugin api and go from there.

Good luck, and have fun!

I'll be making a download page with the artwork, photos, screenshots, and source to GoBoard. I'm not too sure about our NDA, Tiger, the Dashboard SDK, and sourcecode from Apple widgets, but I dont think it will be a problem.

Anyhow, it's great to hear feeback about our little widget! I'll work hard to get it presentable for the public and to work with Carl on a 1.0 relelase soon!

Thanks for all your positive comments,
-Chris
Any recommendations for some good javascript tutorials?

kman

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 12:30 AM

The widgets and gadgets are Accessories. You can now Accessorise your computer. Lets see - I've got guests coming around. I think I'll Accessorise with Stock TIckers, Live feed from Victoria's Secret and the Team's iCal.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 01:06 AM

Does anyone know how the stock graphs are generated? Being that this is all webcore powered, I'm wondering if they are using flash or simply downloading the graphs. I doubt the latter because the graphs have characteristic OS X anti-aliasing. Maybe SVG?

I might die and go to heaven if it were SVG (natively rendered, mind you). I doubt that, too. So what is it?!?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 01:14 AM

Actually, just read Dave Hyatt's blog and he might have answered my question. Did he?

Link:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

fuzzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Carl and Chris, Good works! Why is your name in brackets on the Apple page Chris?
Thanks! The contest wasn't geared for a multi-person submission, I believe. We used Carl's email account when we submitted, so he got the "official winner" slot on the final announcement. Apple was kind enough to include my name on the website so that I could receive recognition, too.

The entire widget was collaborative, from UI suggestions to Obj-C interfaces, so I'm grateful they could sneak my name in.

-fuzzy

Forum Links
Forum Rules