Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Applications Forum - Intel, PPC, UB?

Applications Forum - Intel, PPC, UB?
paul w
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 03:15 PM

Is it just me or is there not enough of a distinction in the application forum? As a Macbook Pro user, I no longer have any desire of sifting through posts relating to non universal or intel apps. There's no sticky on new or upcoming Universal apps, nor any discussion on how certain apps perform in with rosetta.

Sure I know where to look on macupdate and elsewhere for a list of apps, but I wouldn't mind something in MacNN, or rather a centralized place for discussion for us intel mac owners regarding apps.

Sure I can use the search function, but I would imagine there'd be enough folks like me to warrant some sort of minor institutional, structural change. I apologize if it's already been discussed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 01:35 AM

If you create a good thread on the topic, it may get turned into a sticky.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 07:42 AM

I'm kind of thinking that a seperate PPC and intel forums wouldn't work. One of those forums will be a ghost town and for the most part it will be the intel forum.
Other then having a sticky of what apps are UB, there's little difference in what people ask regarding application help.

If someone has an issue with iTunes or MS office, which forum will he put it in especially if its not really related to the intel chipset. Or the person has a macbook has a question on ms office regarding functionality which forum will he put it in?

I think splitting up the forums by ppc and intel will generate more confusion then what its trying to resolve.

Mike
~Mike

paul w  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 10:01 AM

I guess I'm puzzled there isn't more discussion on how certain PPC apps run in Rosetta, or news or rumors of upcoming UBs.

The hard facts are out there- I can find out which apps are Universal on my own, but I would think there'd be a place to find discussion in this forum, without having to sift through the other non-related topics. But maybe I'm in the minority on this.

FWIW, there was a topic on current and upcoming UB's, but it never became a sticky.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
I guess I'm puzzled there isn't more discussion on how certain PPC apps run in Rosetta, or news or rumors of upcoming UBs.
That's the issue, if there's no real discussion going on in the forums now, why would splitting the forum by platform create more discussions?

To be honest, I have a mini and a macbook and what is ub and what isn't isn't a front burner issue for me. I'm waiting for photoshop, I don't play games and all of the other software I use works well and it works well because its UB or I don't notice any issues under rosetta. In fact I don't even know which apps I have installed are UB vs. rosetta (other then the obvious such as office and photoshop).

Mike
~Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 07:41 PM

The thing is, Intel vs. PPC is mostly a non-issue: PPC apps run so well (with a few *cough* Adobe *cough* exceptions) that it's mostly a moot point. That and the fact that a lot of the apps people use the most (e.g. Safari, iTunes, Mail) are already UB.

And there are other sites that already have structured trackers of Intel Mac compatibility. Macintouch, for example, has one.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules