Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Pirates! and Pirates! Gold in Classic speed problems

Pirates! and Pirates! Gold in Classic speed problems
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 11:33 PM

I am running both Pirates! games on my 1.33GHz G4 iBook in Classic. Both run, but way too fast. There is no way I can do any fencing in Pirates! and naval battle in Pirates! Gold is in hyperspeed.

Is there any way to slow down the computer or something? Are these games just unplayable in Classic on the latest PPC Macs?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 02:33 PM

Heh, I had the same issue trying to play Pirates Gold on my PM 7300 with a G3 upgrade card. Far as I can tell, the game was made at an era where the concept of "throttling performance" to a certain playable level didn't exist. Would require a rewrite/re-port to force the game code to run at a playable rate.

Probably using counter-driven loops instead of time-incremented loops, would be my guess.

Pick up an SE or LC for $20, that's my suggestion.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have a Performa 630CD lying around somewhere.. Might as well try it out

For now, I have solved this by playing Pirates Gold in DOSBox on my iBook. It runs slowly, like it would on a 33 MHz Mac back in the day, but it is playable. It was made for that era anyway.

Strange thing is that the graphics are better in the DOS version that the Mac version. What is up with that? (higher res on the DOS version)

The original Pirates should run fine in vMac mini or something.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules