Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Eurovision 2008

Eurovision 2008
Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 12:36 AM

So I'm starting to survey this year's entries and pick the ones I like the best.

I'm not sure about the new format, though, with two semi-finals. Will it truly level the playing field with respect to political voting? Will more Western European nations have a better chance of making it to the finals since the big Eastern voting blocs are being split up to some degree?

Ever since the breakup of Yugoslavia and the USSR into a bunch of different nations with similar music tastes the balance has been tilted in their favor because of sheer numbers. (i.e. Russia-Ukraine-Byelorussia and Serbia-Montenegro-FYR Macedonia-Bosnia/Herzegovina-Slovenia-Croatia).

Now, the entries themselves.

Greece. Ugh, they picked Kalomira, whom I absolutely cannot stand. She is an American-born Greek who went to Greece a few years ago to compete on the Greek version of "American Idol," and apparently won. Since she grew up in over here in America, she has a broken Greek accent and her songs are horrible because of it. At least the Greek entry, Secret Combination is in English, but adding bouzouki to standard pop drivel does not an appealing song make.

Now Cyprus, on the other hand has picked an entry that is actually in Greek, and more accurately reflects Greek musical culture, though the title is in French. Evdokia Kadi sings Femme Fatal, and she's much prettier (IMHO) than Kalomira.

Unfortunately Cyprus probably won't make it to the finals, while Greece may actually have a chance.

So, what do the other European 'NNers think?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 03:07 AM

I can't even remember when I watched my last Eurovision in its entirety. It must have been 25 years ago or so.

Have I missed something ?

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 06:02 AM

The fact that No Angels won the German nomination was completely unsurprising and clinched my utter lack of interest - unless there's something as spectacularly wonderful as last year's Ukrainian entry.
YouTube - Eurovision 2007 - Ukraine

misc
Mar 27, 2008, 08:05 AM

And here is front of house dancing to Ukraine.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks for that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 11:41 AM

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
My God. I thought nothing could be worse than that dungheap Ukraine sent last year.

Apparently, I was wrong.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
My God. I thought nothing could be worse than that dungheap Ukraine sent last year.

Apparently, I was wrong.
"Dungheap"!?

It was BY FAR the most entertaining entry!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
"Dungheap"!?

It was BY FAR the most entertaining entry!
I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. I didn’t find it funny at all. I found it a dreary parody of bad gay clichés devoid of any entertainment (or music) value whatsoever.

This one is just stupid, though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 12:43 PM

"Gay clichés"?

Naw.

Ukrainians rocking out to cliché techno, wearing silly glitterified Soviet symbols and singing GERMAN is not just a parody of bad GAY clichés - it's a horrific mangling of ALL SORTS of clichés, which is why I can't help but love it.

The gay cliché part is certainly fair reason to dislike it, but reducing it to just that doesn't really do the magnitude of atrociousness justice.

It is truly magnificent.

The turkey thing is a bad knock-off, from the fifteen seconds I've just watched.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 01:16 PM

The turkey thing is a bad touch knock-off, from the fifteen seconds I've just watched.
Fixinatedor.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 01:18 PM

The Ukrainian song was hilarious.

With regard to this year: Lucy Diakovska is nice to look at. That's something even if not enough to propel them into the first half of the field.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 04:11 PM

Ah Eurovision time again!

Springtime!! YAY
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2008, 06:33 PM

The gay cliché part is certainly fair reason to dislike it, but reducing it to just that doesn't really do the magnitude of atrociousness justice.
Don’t get me wrong: I like a good parodying of clichés, gay or not. I just don’t think this was a good parody. It was a dreary parody.

You’re right, though, there were more than just gay clichés involved.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

More like Irlande Nul Pointe.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Lucy Diakovska is nice to look at.
I'll give you that one.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Ah Eurovision time again!

Springtime!! YAY

Baila el chiki chiki?

España ganaré este año.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 12:19 AM

So, what do you guys think of the Greek and Cypriot entries this year? (See my original post for YouTube links)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post

Baila el chiki chiki?

España ganaré este año.
Eh como siempre? Si España ganará este año, comeré mi colección de música. La canción es malísima por Dios!
( Last edited by voodoo; Mar 28, 2008 at 08:59 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 08:15 AM

The Greek entry isn't bad on the Eurovision scale.. it's got a hottie singing some Christina Aguilera-ish song. It offends no one and I have something to look at while suffering through the song.

The Cypriot entry has an even hotter chick! Most impressive The song is a bit of a mess, but I find it more enjoyable than the Greek entry.

Anything is better than the Spanish entry.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2008, 08:47 AM

Baila el chiki chiki?

España ganaré este año.
I’m terribly sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t think you’ll win Spain this year either. Sorry.

I was talking to a sort-of-friend from the UK last night who turns out to be an extreme ESC buff. He pretty much knew every obscure song there is to know. Ended up on YouTube watching lots of random old ESC songs (when I say ‘old’, I’m referring to what I think of as the classic ESC era, i.e., around 1989–1995 or so, when there were tons of really good songs).

I’d forgotten how many of these songs I actually knew. And how great some of them are. Kinek Mondjam El Vétkeimet (Hungary, 1994) is a really beautiful song. And the Greek and Cypriot songs from 1991 to 1994 are all really neat, too.

I also managed to hear the British song from this year. Yawn. Boring. Not nearly as fun as the one last year (see that one I found funny, unlike the Ukrainian one).

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 01:10 PM

The Greek entry isn't bad on the Eurovision scale.. it's got a hottie singing some Christina Aguilera-ish song. It offends no one and I have something to look at while suffering through the song.
I'll give you that. Kalomira is nice to look at. But when she's singing in (broken) Greek, I just cringe.

The Cypriot entry has an even hotter chick! Most impressive
You'll note that I said the same thing in my original post.

The song is a bit of a mess, but I find it more enjoyable than the Greek entry.
At least it's more Greek than the Greek entry. Seriously, stick a bouzouki in a "Christina Aguilera-ish song" and call it Greek?

Anything is better than the Spanish entry.
Even Dustin the Turkey? I'd put them right next to each other.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 01:12 PM

Eh como siempre? Si España ganará este año, comeré mi colección de música. La canción es malísima por Dios!
¡Mmm! Ojalá que tu colección es deliciosa.

j/k

EDIT: On a more serious note... I wonder how long before the Former Yugoslavian countries and other newcomers stop entering serious songs and start submitting jokes like Western Europe?
( Last edited by Person Man; Mar 28, 2008 at 01:19 PM. )

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2008, 02:23 PM

On a more serious note... I wonder how long before the Former Yugoslavian countries and other newcomers stop entering serious songs and start submitting jokes like Western Europe?
They have to cross the sarchasm first? Finland is hell-bent on trying to convert this into an over-the-top-metal competition; this years Iron Maiden meets Spinal Tap with traces of Manowar- entry doesn't really work unless you get the silly language, but a valiant try nonetheless. Here's a bit more catchy tune from them, for additional Finnish hearing comprehension.
( Last edited by Judge_Fire; Mar 28, 2008 at 02:35 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2008, 10:13 PM

I'll give you that. Kalomira is nice to look at. But when she's singing in (broken) Greek, I just cringe.
‘Kakomila(o)’?

[/bad pun]

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 11:57 AM

‘Kakomila(o)’?

[/bad pun]
hehe.

The pun may be bad, but my father was impressed that a non-native speaker of Greek such as yourself could come up with it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2008, 03:54 PM

¡Mmm! Ojalá que tu colección es deliciosa.

j/k
Ey es muy rico, menos mal

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 01:02 PM

Well, it's a week away from the start of the contest. I don't know who I'd like to see win, simply because I haven't seen all the entries yet. I don't know if I'll have time to look at all of them on the official web site before the contest.

But, given past results, I wouldn't be surprised if Dustin the Turkey wins.

Any thoughts? Which are your picks for who "should" be the winner, and which are your picks for who will actually be chosen as the winner?

EDIT: too bad voodoo is banned... his comments about the contest are ALWAYS good for a laugh.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2008, 02:15 PM

Britain should just send Def Leppard every year.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 05:28 PM

I’m terribly sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t think you’ll win Spain this year either. Sorry.

I was talking to a sort-of-friend from the UK last night who turns out to be an extreme ESC buff. He pretty much knew every obscure song there is to know. Ended up on YouTube watching lots of random old ESC songs (when I say ‘old’, I’m referring to what I think of as the classic ESC era, i.e., around 1989–1995 or so, when there were tons of really good songs).
That's funny; when I think of the "classic" ESC era, I think of around 1965-1982, when there were tons of really good songs.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2008, 06:28 PM

That's funny; when I think of the "classic" ESC era, I think of around 1965-1982, when there were tons of really good songs.
Which proves exactly one thing:

You’re an old fart.

*ducks and runs*

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 06:46 PM

Which proves exactly one thing:

You’re an old fart.

*ducks and runs*
I remember being your age, and I'm *glad* I'm an old fart, as it were.

1965 is WAY before my time too, though.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 09:06 PM

I remember being your age, and I'm *glad* I'm an old fart, as it were.

1965 is WAY before my time too, though.

I don't have that frame of reference, since I grew up here in America. The first time I became aware of the contest was in 2001, when I was in Germany visiting relatives. My cousin's 13 year old daughter was WAY into the contest and she was surprised I had no idea what it was. Then it dropped out of my consciousness until I was in Greece in March 2005 and watched Greece's national selection for the contest.

Since I found out about the live webcast, I've watched the contest every year since, but without the added benefit (humor?) of the national commentators. Since then I've come to realize that what I'm watching is just a shadow of what it used to be.

Still, it is fun to watch and make fun of. This year my father will still be here in the States on the day of the finals. He doesn't leave for Greece until May 26. Should be a lot easier on our phone bills.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 08:28 AM

Well, the first final is over, and I was surprised to see how well I chose the finalists from this round when the results came in. A few highlights (lowlights?):

I don't think the hosts have too much chemistry... a lot of their "fun" dialog seemed forced. And what's up with that soul patch the guy has?

I was gratified to see that Ireland did not make it to the final. And I was also happy to see that Estonia didn't make it either, though that stupid refrain ("Leto Svet, Leto, Leto Svet, Leto Svet, Leto, Leto Svet...") is going to be going through my head all day. I also felt that the Moldavian entry wasn't very good either (It's always interesting to see what foreigners think rhymes in English-- "mean" and "thing" do NOT rhyme, unless you say "meen" and "theen.").

I didn't think the Israeli entry was all that strong, so I was mildly surprised that Israel made it, and that stupid leprechaun guy dancing around the fat brides (forget the country). I wasn't impressed with Russia this year either. Some guys were NOT meant to go bare-chested and Dima Bilan is one of them.

So, Finland sends a metal band and wins, so they think that all their entries must be metal? Nevertheless, I sorta liked their entry and picked it to go on.

I thought the Armenian gal was cute, and she had plenty of energy. Was glad to see her advance. Andorra had an OK entry compared to most, but what the fonk was that stupid thing on her head???

I also thought the Slovenian gal was pretty, and her song was ok, but she didn't make it to the final.

I was most surprised with Greece. Not that Kalomira qualified... she did a great job and deserved to make it to the finals, but she seems to have shed her "baby girl" image that they play up in Greece and it suits her. I'm so glad she's not singing in Greek, though.

Anyone else catch the first semifinal? I liked the postcard thing between songs, but I couldn't read any of them with the 760 kbps stream magnified on my 56" TV... compression artifact city!

What did you think?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2008, 02:45 PM

I missed it.

Or rather, I am going to miss it. For reasons unknown to the world at large, they’ve decided to air it tonight up here, and I won’t be home.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:55 PM

I missed it.
You don't have to miss it.

This year they've decided to keep up free streams of each program online for seven days after it airs, which is how I got to see it this time. Previously, they only streamed it live and then you had to pay to view them subsequently, and I couldn't watch them myself because of being at work... it's 3 PM here in Ohio when the show airs live.

I watched it long after the fact, last night.

It requires a streaming plugin called Octoshape that can be downloaded from the site, and it works on Macs and works great with Flip4Mac's WMV viewer plug in through Safari. That's how I watched it last year.

So, go to the official Eurovision website and enjoy the first semi final. It's only 2 hours long.

Or rather, I am going to miss it. For reasons unknown to the world at large, they’ve decided to air it tonight up here, and I won’t be home.
Not if you watch the stream online. And again, it's free this year.

The only drawback is you get the actual feed itself, sans country-specific commentary. So, you'll have to make up your own, which shouldn't be too hard to do, given the acts.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2008, 07:25 PM

Hah, I didn’t know that! Awesome. And without those idiot commentaries, too. The Danish ones always make it their own personal crusade to be quiet as mice when there’s just applause and country videos and stuff, and then suddenly embark on a torrent of mindless blither the second a new song comes on.

I got home just in time to see the voting, but none of the songs, so this is a godsend.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 07:37 AM

So … how do you watch this thing, exactly?

I installed that OctoShape plugin thingy, I even restarted it as it said I might have to, I restarted the browser, tried in several different browsers—they all give me the exact same error message: “Flip4Mac cannot play this file”.

How did you play it?

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 07:53 AM

So … how do you watch this thing, exactly?

I installed that OctoShape plugin thingy, I even restarted it as it said I might have to, I restarted the browser, tried in several different browsers—they all give me the exact same error message: “Flip4Mac cannot play this file”.

How did you play it?
That's odd. It worked for me last year on my PowerBook G4... I'll play with it tonight after work and see what I come up with. I usually watch it on my big screen TV which has a Media Center PC hooked up to it, but last year I was visiting my parents when the final was on and I used the Mac with their software.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 08:00 AM

Possibly, it’s a WMP vs. Flip4Mac thing. Or maybe they changed it since last year.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 08:22 AM

Possibly, it’s a WMP vs. Flip4Mac thing. Or maybe they changed it since last year.
They could have. Try getting VLC to play it. The FAQ mentions it can be used. You might have to disable the QuickTime plug-in first, and change the Octoshape settings.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 09:07 AM

I already tried changing the OctoShape settings, but I can only select VLC as external player; in browser ‘mode’, I can only choose “OctoShape recommended player” or system default, both of which appear to be QuickTime + Flip4Mac, even though the OctoShape recommended player is set to VLC right above it.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 12:00 PM

I already tried changing the OctoShape settings, but I can only select VLC as external player; in browser ‘mode’, I can only choose “OctoShape recommended player” or system default, both of which appear to be QuickTime + Flip4Mac, even though the OctoShape recommended player is set to VLC right above it.
hmm... well, it IS a beta (but it was one last year too)... I have an idea, but I'll have to check it out at home. Are you on a PPC Mac or an Intel one?

In the meantime, hopefully you'll be able to watch the second semi-final tonight on TV... They may not have aired the first one live on Tuesday if Denmark wasn't able to vote in that one.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 12:07 PM

The second one is aired on TV tonight here, so I’ll probably be watching it from there.

I’ve now tried both on an Intel Mac and on a PPC Mac, with both QuickTime + Flip4Mac and WMP. Nada. I also tried most of the other streams available on OctoShape’s web site, and each and every one of those play just fine. Then again, each and every one of those are external streams, meaning they open directly in the app, not in the browser plugin, which seems to be where the issues are.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

The second one is aired on TV tonight here, so I’ll probably be watching it from there.

I’ve now tried both on an Intel Mac and on a PPC Mac, with both QuickTime + Flip4Mac and WMP. Nada. I also tried most of the other streams available on OctoShape’s web site, and each and every one of those play just fine. Then again, each and every one of those are external streams, meaning they open directly in the app, not in the browser plugin, which seems to be where the issues are.
That suggests differences in the way the eurovision.tv website is coded this year vs. last year.

I still have some ideas to check at home. (Stupid firewall at work... though I shouldn't complain too much, the IT department DID let me hook up an iMac to their network... ["I don't care what you connect to the network as long as it doesn't screw anything up"] )

If that doesn't work, do you have access to Windows in some fashion (be it a PC, or Parallels/Fusion or Boot Camp)? In any case, I think feedback to the EBU and/or Octoshape is in order.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 08:12 AM

Well, I tried everything I could think of, and couldn't get it to work right.

So, looks like you'll have to find some way to use Windows if you want to watch the first semi-final.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2008, 05:53 PM

Well, I’ll watch the final tomorrow (or at least as much of it as I can, considering that it airs at 9 PM and I have to be at work at 10 PM, grrr!), and then I’ll probably just leave it at that. Shame, though.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 08:05 AM

I'm listening through the entries now, finally. I hadn't heard many songs until today, except the Irish, Greek, Cyprian (?) and one or two others.

Not too shabby entries this year really, considering this is Eurovision.

yankelevna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 06:28 PM

what the ****ing eurovision was tonight!!!!!!there is no reason to see it next year.the votes will be the same, 'cause the votes go to nearby countries and not to interests.so it will be or russians or arabs although i'm ukrainian.it is not fair!!people don't give up on europe, europe gave up to muslims!!!!

moep
Senior User
May 25, 2008, 03:17 AM

we tend to call it Grand Prix de la chanson d'Ostblockvision here in Austria
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Forum Links
Forum Rules