Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Enterprise Data Plan($45) vs. Personal Data ($30) question

Enterprise Data Plan($45) vs. Personal Data ($30) question
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 10:13 PM

If I want to access my work Exchange Mail server with push calendar events and email, do I have to get the Enterprise Data Plan($45) ? Or can I do this with the Personal Data ($30) plan?

I haven't found any definitive statement that claims you must pay for the Enterprise Data Plan, at least I really hope not. That is a huge jump from $20 to $45. I don't need the Enterprise applications, just the push.
( Last edited by NateEssex; Jun 11, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling)
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 11:20 PM

I believe the enterprise data plan is a prerequisite for the Exchange integration... BlackBerry plans are usually an additional $10 over the regular data rate for enterprise Exchange support.

Apple - iPhone - Enterprise doesn't say so explicitly, but implies it. The answer may be on AT&T Media Kit | iPhone but I haven't found it yet.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 07:26 AM

I would guess that the Enterprise plan is for accounts under a corporate account number. But, the second poster here could be right.

If you have to pay $45 a month I won't buy one.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 12:08 PM

Egad, I can't believe that after all the hype about Exchange integration on the iphone that you'd need to pay for a corporate account to make it work...

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 01:16 PM

The things I'm reading today tend to make me think the corporate plan is just for company-owned accounts. We'll see.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
The things I'm reading today tend to make me think the corporate plan is just for company-owned accounts. We'll see.
I REALLY hope that is the case...

fabz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 07:28 PM

What about POP accounts. Is push email supported on POP accounts? I have my own domain and I access my e-mail on my ipod touch. I now want it to be with push support. This may seem a stupid feature for most people but I really need to respond e-mails right away and this is what kept me from buying the iphone.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2008, 07:07 AM

I thought the corporate/enterprise rate was for if on company account or if tried to getvthe discount that they don't have firvthe iPhone.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by zanyterp View Post
I thought the corporate/enterprise rate was for if on company account or if tried to getvthe discount that they don't have firvthe iPhone.
I'm fairly certain you are correct.

Pair of iPhones

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2008, 05:46 PM

When do you think we will know for sure?

Will we have the wipe capability without the $45 service? If I have settings configured for an Exchange Server, you would think I would have the option, no?

Thanks!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 01:21 PM

I happened to see this today on Maccentral:

Do I need anything special to use the iPhone’s Exchange/ActiveSync functionality?
Yes, AT&T told us that those corporate e-mail features are intended for business users, which we took to mean you’ll need to pay the extra $15 a month for the corporate data plan over the regular data plan. Consumers have the option of getting similar functionality using Apple’s MobileMe.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
That totally sucks if that is indeed the case. To go from $20-->$45 is a jump...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I have a strong feeling that is just how AT&T wants it to work. However this stuff is not controlled by AT&T, it's software on your phone. The features *should* work with any data plan.

My guess is we won't know for sure until July 11th, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by fabz View Post
What about POP accounts. Is push email supported on POP accounts? I have my own domain and I access my e-mail on my ipod touch. I now want it to be with push support. This may seem a stupid feature for most people but I really need to respond e-mails right away and this is what kept me from buying the iphone.
Push is only available if the ISP/company supports it. You can't just magically have push support on your domain if it's not there already. I know Yahoo has push email on the iPhone (and it works well, I might add). So, that's something to consider.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

WeaponII
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 09:15 AM

I'll just stick with 2 phones, then... my Blackberry (work) and my iPhone (personal).

Not even between the two of those does it cost $45/month for data, why would I do that with one device?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure where you guys work, but my company would have to own any phone that had access to it's exchange server...so...I think you're working yourselves up for nothing. The chances of most corporations allowing employees to access their work email on thier personal phone via exchange is slim to none.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac View Post
I'm not sure where you guys work, but my company would have to own any phone that had access to it's exchange server...so...I think you're working yourselves up for nothing. The chances of most corporations allowing employees to access their work email on thier personal phone via exchange is slim to none.
Since I am the IT guy at my company, it's up to me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 01:12 PM

Really? In my experience, a lot of people just use Outlook at home - not sure about phones, but I'd imagine if you could access your account from your home computer without any special authorization, you could do the same from your iphone.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2008, 03:10 PM

I don't think that's necessarily the case. In my experience (admittedly this is purely anecdotal) most companies with Exchange 2003/2007 servers allow their users to connect via personal phones that are compatible with ActiveSync and able to be wiped remotely. They also, as another poster pointed out, allow most users to connect via OWA (web browser or Entourage).

I'll certainly allow my users to connect with their personal iPhones, Blackjacks, or what-have-you, so long as I can wipe them remotely. There is absolutely no difference in terms of network security since they can be wiped and all of the security is on the server-side of things.

Pair of iPhones

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 08:31 AM

Oh I work at a government agency that won't allow active sync, but we do use RPC of HTTP which completely blocks any Mac user. Our VPN is windows only too, the wonderful active X. Seems to me that it's probably not very secure, but does effectively block people from getting any use out of the network, legitimately.

nbidgood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 09:57 AM

according to Apple's iPhone page (Apple - iPhone - Enterprise), the 2.0 software update will add support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. this seems to imply that current generation iPhone's will get Exchange support with the 2.0 software. I haven't heard of any changes in rate plans for current customers to use the 2.0 features. so this leads be to believe that the $45 data plan is indeed for plans under a corporate account.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2008, 11:44 AM

The leaked memo over on Gizmodo seems to imply that AT&T wants to charge $45 to consumers (not corporate accounts only) that use Enterprise e-mail. I'm not sure how they'd enforce that, since ActiveSync simply requires a data connection. Surely that memo was in error.... and if so, it seems the higher ups at AT&T are complete idiots.
( Last edited by CorpITGuy; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: HTML)

Pair of iPhones

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
The [URL="http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-to-retail-managers-shows-iphone-3g-policy"] I'm not sure how they'd enforce that, since ActiveSync simply requires a data connection. Surely that memo was in error.... and if so, it seems the higher ups at AT&T are complete idiots.
I'll go along with that...I really, really hope that we can access an Exchange server. Many people at work do it with their personally owned Blackberries.

I'm just trying to figure out if you could have both MobileMe and Exchange working on different accounts. The email wouldn't be a problem since you can now have multiple emails, but what about the calendar events? Contacts? Would they implement the calendar like iCal with different color coded calendars(some Exchange, some MobileMe) within the one Calendar application? That still wouldn't help with the contacts situation/conflict.

Forum Links
Forum Rules