Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disk Cache

Disk Cache
hagop
Apr 2, 2000, 09:40 PM

IE 5.0 seemed to become very sluggish for me after being used for a few hours each day--windows would take longer to open, the system would often lock up for ten or more seconds while a page was being rendered, etc. These problems went away when I turned off the disk cache (by setting the cache size to 0).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Being on a DSL connection, the disk cache is not a major issue, so I'm going to leave the disk cache turned off.

-Hagop

ATP Tour Fan
Apr 3, 2000, 10:53 AM

Try giving IE5 more RAM. I have VM turned off, and I have allotted 14000k to Explorer. It's been running continuously for a week now with no crashes or anything.

I use the disk cache set at 2MB and haven't experienced any slowdowns. When I tried using IE5 with standard memory settings, it did get slow as you descibed. That's why I always bump up my browsers.

If you use any plug-ins like Flash or load MRJ often, you really should increase your memory settings.

Steve Hicks
Apr 3, 2000, 11:57 PM

Leaving your cache set to 0 is better anyway. Loading a page on a DSL connection is a lot faster than letting the browser search your hard drive and compare pages in its cache.

hagop
Apr 4, 2000, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the comments. I always give plenty of memory to all the browsers on my system, but it seemed like with IE5, it would use up the disk to cache pages and ignore the extra memory I gave it. IE4.5 didn't seem to do this.

Fortunately, at least IE5 doesn't suffer from that memory "leak" problem that caused IE4.5 to bloat to extraordinary sizes.

Maybe one of the IE developers can comment on this?

-Hagop

Forum Links
Forum Rules