Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dreamweaver blows in X, how is GoLive?

Dreamweaver blows in X, how is GoLive?
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 11:21 PM

I have finally had enough of Dreamweaver in OS X. Due to the constant crashing, extreme slowness and GUI irregularities I have decided to ditch my investment in such a horrible application.

I was wondering what GoLive users think of GoLive in OS X. I used to be a big fan of PageMill years ago and I'm hoping GoLive will fit my needs.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 11:51 PM

GoLive is great for me -- I never liked Dreamweaver, found it intolerably unintuitive. GoLive is straightforward and powerful, and it runs fine in OS X. Go for it.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:14 AM

wow, I know you might not find this helpful, but Dreamweaver in OS X has been great for me. If you want to give it one more shot, go to Macromedia's web site and search for how to completely remove Dreamweaver MX and then reinstall.

Good luck.

-- Jason

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 12:44 AM

How do the two compare for PHP development?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 02:36 AM

The GUI in Dreamweaver blow but it've been great for me. From my experience, it's much more flexible than Golive

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 03:03 AM

OS X really needs a quality HTML editor. Maybe Omni can work some of their magic and put their knowledge from OmniWeb into making the web development equivalent of OmniGraffle ?!

I would plonk a sizable wad of ��� for a good Cocoa web development app...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 07:28 AM

GoLive never crashes for me at all, but there's some sluggishness. It especially lags when switching from a file window to a site window or when point-and shooting a link from a file to the site window. It's aggrivating on my 450, but not so noticable on my dual gig.

I don't think it's crashed once on me since the .01 update, though.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 08:24 AM

Golive's Interface is horrible to my opinion. No OS X looks what so ever.

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 08:29 AM

im the reverse loved glive 5 hated dweaver 3 and 4, now love dweaver mx and think glive 6 blows big wet ones. Sure the interface is crap but its good enough for my php needs and also is pretty stable, i would look at doing a reinstall
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2003, 08:54 AM

I'd recommend Pepper if anything had happened with it in a while (someone purchased it from Hekkelman, but doesn't appear to have done anything with it since then). Since no new versions have come out, you can no longer register it, so you are stuck with annoying nagware that can't be stopped.

Instead I recommend BBEdit. Best HTML editor out there.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 09:08 AM

I've never used GoLive (I actually use BBEdit), but I have some friends who do. They like the interface, but the HTML that GoLive generates is terrible! It's bloated and hard to understand. Dreamweaver does a much better job in that regard.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
OS X really needs a quality HTML editor. Maybe Omni can work some of their magic and put their knowledge from OmniWeb into making the web development equivalent of OmniGraffle ?!

I would plonk a sizable wad of ��� for a good Cocoa web development app...
OmniWeb has a built in html editor that colours tags and highlights tags which dn't match up - I use it for my website as you can preview the code in OmniWeb itself by pressing redisplay - apparently they have future plans to beef it up a bit

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 10:54 AM

GoLive sucks and is terribly slow. Switching from code to graphics view takes forever. It's instant in DW. Sorry from DW wipes the floor with GoLive.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:54 PM

The Omniweb idea sounds interesting. Is it possible to set up Omniweb to upload pages upon save via FTP?

Actually my solution right now to avoid Dreamweaver is using Fetch and BBEdit lite and the "Open In BBEdit" feature. That works surprisingly well. However the one important thing that I need out of Dreamweaver is the site management tools. I need to be able to move files around within a site and have it update all links accordingly. PageMill used to do this. I wish that someone would combine site management features with a simple code editor and possibly a preview method of some kind (Webcore, Gecko). I think that would be awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 04:55 PM

Hi, the following thread might also provide some differences between Dreamweaver and GoLive:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=164074

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 05:42 PM

I would definitely try to work with Dreamweaver if possible.

Have you updated to version 6.1?

Or, try FreeWay, which I have had great success with when I needed something done.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 06:35 PM

Golive blows a little less than Dreamweaver. Thats why I use it

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I have finally had enough of Dreamweaver in OS X. Due to the constant crashing, extreme slowness and GUI irregularities (snip)
Have you tried turning off "BBEdit integration" in DW MX? On my PB this slows simple operations like open and save document to a crawl, while they are bearable without BBEdit integration. Must be some AppleEvents having fun in the background...

I almost never have crashes with DW MX ::touches wood::, but the GUI strangeness is really in a class of its own
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:02 PM

This all sounds like another hole Apple needs to fill....

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
This all sounds like another hole Apple needs to fill....
Please, no. Apple doesn't need to compete with EVERY big app developer.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I have finally had enough of Dreamweaver in OS X. Due to the constant crashing, extreme slowness and GUI irregularities I have decided to ditch my investment in such a horrible application.

I was wondering what GoLive users think of GoLive in OS X. I used to be a big fan of PageMill years ago and I'm hoping GoLive will fit my needs.
I never liked PageMill, but I loved CyberStudio. I like GoLive, but since Adobe bought it it has never quite been the same. The nicest thing Adobe has done is the history.

Anyway, if you are looking for PageMill GoLive might not be what you expect. 5.0 was so slow, it was completely unusable (Classic). 6.0 is very usable on my Ti/667, but I still end up editing the code in BBEdit (except for tables).

Macanoid
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 02:46 PM

There's this amazing Mac only program called Freeway Pro. It does amazing things in a total intuitive way. I feel that Freeway is to webdesign what Mac's are to computers.

lso, the newly introduced Fast (Freeway Advanced Site Tools) packs are totally amazing.

get it here: www.softpress.com

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 03:48 PM

You may want to trouble shoot dreamweaver. I use it daily (v6.1) and ever since last summer... i can only remember it crashing once or twice in 10.2

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
You may want to trouble shoot dreamweaver. I use it daily (v6.1) and ever since last summer... i can only remember it crashing once or twice in 10.2
Nevermind the crashing. It is probably the most buggy mainstream app out for OSX.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Nevermind the crashing. It is probably the most buggy mainstream app out for OSX.
Yep I can agree with that.. I'm using it as my default WYSIWYG web app and I couldn't stand the bugginess in BugWeaver.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 11:21 AM

My only compliant with DW is that every now and then when I open it, my insert and properties windows aren't shown and I have to to select them to show. Other then that, no crashes, no bugs, no performance issues for me and I use it every day.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Other then that, no crashes, no bugs, no performance issues for me and I use it every day.
yes it has bugs. TONS of them, you just haven't seem more then 1 of them.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Have you tried turning off "BBEdit integration" in DW MX? On my PB this slows simple operations like open and save document to a crawl, while they are bearable without BBEdit integration. Must be some AppleEvents having fun in the background...
Dude! You weren't kidding with that little tip. Running DW on a 600Mhz iBook has always been a test in patience any time I opened or saved a page. The minute I disabled BBEdit integration, it's like an entirely different program. Thanks a million! You just made my life a lot easier.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 04:56 AM

The interface in GoLive is not very OS X. I don't need to use it a great deal but it does what I need pretty well. Crashes rarely for me. Maybe worth a play with the demo for a while if you're not sure.

Colonel_Panic
Jul 19, 2003, 07:36 AM

I personally use hydra, I love it. Fast, Simple. Clean. Has everything I need. HTML/PHP syntax coloring and the ability to work with a friend over a lan or the net on teh same project as me. I used to use dreamweaver though, IMHO Dreamweaver is better than GoLive but they both suck..

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2003, 11:21 PM

Actually I'd say GoLive has the best OSX interface I've used.

It's problem is that drag and drop for links works inconsistently and has lots of "gotcha" problems. (i.e. select half a link and drag on it to create a new link - nothing happens but it appears it does!)

Have had it crash on me a few times as well.

There are lots of little bugs as well. Sometimes relative links introduce bugs. Just check your HTML via source and don't assume the HTML is correct.

I've heard Dreamweaver is better, especially with regards to tables, but that the interface isn't as nice.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:

I almost never have crashes with DW MX ::touches wood::, but the GUI strangeness is really in a class of its own
Wow, Dreamweaver MX is much snappier now. Launching and Quitting is instant now.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Wow, Dreamweaver MX is much snappier now. Launching and Quitting is instant now.
You mean you started using DW on windoze now!?

The unfortunate thing about disabling BBEdit integration is that I like(d) and use(d) this feature a lot, so I still hope MM gets its stuff together for DW MX2 (or whatever) -- which can't be too far away: Contribute 2 is able to use SFTP, and I can't image DW not being able to do so for long.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules