Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > volume control with gloves on?

volume control with gloves on?
ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 08:51 PM

I have a Nano on its way (hopefully, it arrived today), but I mostly listen while riding a motorcycle, with thick leather gloves on. None of the ipods I've tried has a click wheel that functions with gloves on, but they all had a remote control with real buttons available for control. The Nano has no such option (I ordered it before I realized it didn't support the ipod remote control). Does anyone know of a material I can attach to a glove fingertip which will cause the volume control to function without skin contact, or am I going to be selling this thing?

--sam

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 11:03 PM

Crap... didn't think about this.

Guess I'll keep using the Shuffle for the motorcycle rides, and the Nano for the car when I listen to podcasts.
<This space under renovation>

uicandrew
Senior User
Sep 13, 2005, 12:18 AM

all scroll wheels and the trackpad on laptops rely on contact or very near contact with skin. (has something to do with the "charge" that all humans possess. the only thing i can think of is cutting a whole in your gloves.

if it was a thin material, it would still work (ie - all the thin form fitting rubber cases)

good luck
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ideasculptor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 01:27 AM

Actually, the Nano does work through my race gloves, which are a thin kangaroo leather (kangaroo is more abrasion resistant than cow, so it can be thinner). I am sure it won't function at all through my insulated winter gloves, but I think I can live with that (time to install heated grips!). I can enable soudcheck when it rains, since I'll have to put it under a raincover, anyway, so I won't have easy access to any controls. Hopefully, someone will make a functional remote that works through the dock connector, eventually. It'll probably require a watch battery, but that should last just about forever.

So if you don't mind buying fairly high end gloves, don't worry too much about the Nano's volume control, especially if you don't ride in inclement weather.

--sam

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 05:43 PM

I just tried the controls on my Nano with the gloves I normally use, I was surprised to find it did work. I also used the gloves on my Powerbook trackpad, and it worked there as well.

Now to find a Nano case to mod. I have a Garmin GPS mount on the motorcycle already, so I figure I'll get an extra clip and attach it to a nano case.
<This space under renovation>

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 05:57 PM

This is one of the well known quirks of the iPod which becomes more evident as the colder months approach. I have been an iPod owner since the original 5gb model came out, and I should point out that the remote accessory is one of the best ways to adjust volume when you have gloves on.

If you don't like the extra wire length that the remote adds, you can buy headphones or earbuds with built in volum control sliders, it is not difficult to find them.

These two options are IMHO much better than buying special gloves or cutting holes out in the fingertips.

ideasculptor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2005, 03:39 AM

Note that the topic of this thread is the Nano, which has no remote control. You have to use the click wheel to control volume, at least uintil someone makes a remote that uses the dock port.

--sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules