Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cop 1, bicyclist 0

Cop 1, bicyclist 0
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 04:19 PM

Watch here.

Apparently it was during a Critical Mass demonstration.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:31 PM

I don't approve of the cop doing that, but I don't approve of them clogging up traffic either.

Both individuals get a big from me.

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:41 PM

The cop was trying to push charges which included `assaulting a police officer' and `resisting arrest'

Thanks to the video, the cop will be the one who's being investigated.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:43 PM

Looks more like Cop -1 to me.

I hope that guy gets fired.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 04:43 PM

Rise of a police state.

Also see "Kid with broken back and barely conscious getting tazered 19 times".

Cops in the US are above the law it seems. They are getting away with excessive brute force. Just watch 'Cops' on TV to realize that these guys can pretty much rape you and you'll just lie there and like it.

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:58 PM

Problem is: if somebody hadn't caught it on tape, what do you think would have happened to the guy on the bike? I mean, you don't have to agree with this critical mass demonstration, but otherwise, he might just be an ordinary guy who likes to ride his bike.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Looks more like Cop -1 to me.

I hope that guy gets fired.
Not gonna happen. The union for the NYC police department keeps dirt on most major politicians just so they can use it in contract negotiations or in situations like this. (Plus, the union is supposed to be fairly tight with the mob in a back-scratching sort of way.)
But yeah, NYC cops have some of the worst reputations for police brutality. For every Abner Louima (guy sodomized with a broom handle by cops while *in* a NYPD precint house) or Amadou Dialo (shot 41 times for no reason) there are hundreds of other people who get roughed up just because the cops know they can get away with it. And while there might be some racial undertones to the police abuse that takes place* most of it is simply about police officers on a power kick and who know they can get away with almost anything.

Sadly, Mayor Mike, who is pretty much untouchable by anyone--there is no dirt to be had on him--has never felt the need to take on the entrenched criminal elements within the NYPD.

*Claims of abuse due to racial bias are a small percentage of the overall number of claims of abuse made against the department. But in typical NYC fashion the force is full of equal-opportunity abusers (black, white, brown, asian).
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 30, 2008, 06:03 PM

If not for the video, the guy would have been railroaded and the cop would have just lied and lied. Horribly miscarriage of justice. Hopefully he will file a huge multimillion dollar lawsuit against the cop, the dept, the city, etc. Minimally, the cop should be fired and arrested for assault/battery, official misconduct, etc.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2008, 06:07 PM

Ehh, it was just one of those critical mass jerks... he'll live.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't give police an excuse to abuse their power and then lie in police reports while accusing someone of crimes he didn't commit.

I respect nearly all police for the dangerous job they do, but I also hold them to a high standard of responsibility. They have to remain clear-headed and in control of themselves and the situation when others aren't. If this cop is so hot-headed that he can't handle a few bikes without resorting to violence, then he does not belong on the force. Quit apologizing for police and start respecting them and the position they hold. I'm sure most current police officers would be disgusted by the actions of this rookie. He's giving them a bad name.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Guy Stone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 06:44 PM

I heard he's been put on desk duty pending an investigation.

If I were the bicyclist I'd be contacting a financial planner.

Cop: early retirement.

Bicyclist: early retirement.
( Last edited by Guy Stone; Jul 30, 2008 at 06:52 PM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Whatever or whoever the guy was, we have every right to expect that our police officers do not dish out random violence, regardless of your race, gender, political orientation or whatever. I have a lot of respect for our police officers and am damn glad that they're doing a dangerous and demanding job. But that's no excuse for random violence.

To say 'serves him right' is just a seriously ****ed up point of view. Maybe you'd feel more at home in Stalin's Russia.

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 30, 2008, 06:53 PM

I am glad I live on the other side of the country from NY.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aec_1217434609

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 07:18 PM

What's wrong with the NYPD? They should disband the whole damn thing, there'd probably be LESS crime. And make it easier to own a gun so you can defend yourself instead of relying on crooked cops to do it for you.

I'd be in a perpetual state of scared shitlessness if I lived in NYC. It's only a matter of time before you're a victim of a crime - the only question is who will perpetuate it, the thugs or the police?

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:29 PM

You have to wonder what was going on. Did the cop see the biker do something? It's hard to believe he'd just pick someone out of the blue to body slam.

Isn't it?

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 30, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
What's wrong with the NYPD? They should disband the whole damn thing, there'd probably be LESS crime. And make it easier to own a gun so you can defend yourself instead of relying on crooked cops to do it for you.

I'd be in a perpetual state of scared shitlessness if I lived in NYC. It's only a matter of time before you're a victim of a crime - the only question is who will perpetuate it, the thugs or the police?

who policies the police? When you see the police committing a crime like these two videos, who do you call? What recourse is there other than submitting it to youtube and waiting for the sloooow bureaucracy to process it?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 08:15 PM

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 08:19 PM

From the ap.google link:

During his arrest, Long squirmed and kicked, saying to the officers, "You are pawns in the game. I'm gonna have your job," the complaint said.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
From the ap.google link:

During his arrest, Long squirmed and kicked, saying to the officers, "You are pawns in the game. I'm gonna have your job," the complaint said.
bahahahahha

I have to say, I don't feel so sorry for the guy now. But I still think the cop deserves to lose his job.

EDIT: On the other hand, that's according to the write-up done by the cop in question, and we already know he's a liar, so he may have made that part up as well.

NateB
Jul 30, 2008, 08:28 PM

I think it was an accident. It appeared to me that when the cop was walking to the camera's left, the bicyclist tried to avoid hitting him; so then he swerved left. The cop tried to avoid the bicyclist, so he evaded left. And they still both collided. If the cop gets jail time or a fine for this, I'll just think to myself, "Well, America always sucks, doesn't this figure."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by NateB View Post
I think it was an accident. It appeared to me that when the cop was walking to the camera's left, the bicyclist tried to avoid hitting him; so then he swerved left. The cop tried to avoid the bicyclist, so he evaded left. And they still both collided. If the cop gets jail time or a fine for this, I'll just think to myself, "Well, America always sucks, doesn't this figure."
Yes...it was an accident...like this one: http://www.infowars.com/?p=3654

They're all accidents. And when you get beat up by a cop, it'll be an accident and we won't feel sorry for you.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NateB View Post
How can you watch that video and think it was an accident? Are you intentionally lying to yourself or are you really that stupid?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 09:21 PM

Watch the slow motion part a few times. The bike actually starts turning back towards the cop, and the biker seems to lean towards the cop, not away.

OTOH, the cop is clearly looking at the biker the whole time and does not appear to stop walking even when it is apparent that they will collide.

Perhaps they both were looking for a collision?

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 09:27 PM

The cop went towards the bike and shoved him. The bike was trying to avoid the cop without running into a street sign. There is absolutely no chance it was an accident, or that they were both trying to hit each other.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 09:28 PM

Exactly. The cop body slammed the cyclist, nothing more, nothing less. That cop needs to be taken off the street.

climber
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't approve of the cop doing that, but I don't approve of them clogging up traffic either.

Both individuals get a big from me.
They cyclist is at worst guilty of a very minor traffic offense. The officer is treading on assault/battery, and apparently even perjury. It sure sounds like he earned a pink slip.
climber

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 09:32 PM

I see what you're talking about, but he's not aiming for the cop. Watch closely. He swerves left to avoid the cop. That part where he leans in the cop's direction is just where he is correcting his course, straightening out. If he hadn't done that slight lean to the right, he would have just hit the curb.

But as far as whether the cop was trying to hit him or not, it's painfully obvious that he is just by the way he shoves his arms out as hard as he can. If you can't see that then you're either blind or stupid.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 09:34 PM

The cop was eying this biker up and knew exactly wht he was doing. No one goes into an offensive posture when they know they are going to get struck. They go into a defensive posture...like turning around away from the danger. Notice the cops legs in a forward 'linebacker style' tackling stance. He knew exactly what he was doing. He will be fired promptly.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

climber
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Watch the slow motion part a few times. The bike actually starts turning back towards the cop, and the biker seems to lean towards the cop, not away.?
I think you are correct. I think it was a instinctive reaction to the officer moving in his path and the cyclist faced with a inevitable collision. I have been faced with hard pushes in tight cycling packs during races, you learn pretty quickly to push back or at least stand your ground.

It could also be part of him re-centering on the bike due to steer/counter-steer effects. That is he turned his wheel left without first initiating the appropriate counter-steer to get him leaning into a left turn.
climber

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 30, 2008, 10:06 PM

One might ask what the cop was doing standing in the middle of all those bikers. I could understand if he was on the sidewalk (where pedestrians are supposed to stand/walk) and securing the area, but he was instead putting himself in the middle of traffic. (Yes, bikes are traffic just like cars.) He then purposefully threw himself at an innocent biker, injuring him and causing an incident where none previously existed.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
One might ask what the cop was doing standing in the middle of all those bikers.
Power tripping?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Not gonna happen. The union for the NYC police department keeps dirt on most major politicians just so they can use it in contract negotiations or in situations like this. . .
Dude, seriously. Put down the bong.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I love comments about NYC by people who don't live here. Sort of a stupidity singularity.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 11:30 PM

Oh, the cop was definitely picking out the cyclist to knock out of commission long before the guy even got close. Definitely planned.

I read that the cop lost his badge, but I can't find a link to back that up.

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 31, 2008, 12:28 AM

Oh, the cop was definitely picking out the cyclist to knock out of commission long before the guy even got close. Definitely planned.

I read that the cop lost his badge, but I can't find a link to back that up.
This cop also needs to go to jail. Last I heard assault/battery was a crime. A crime committed under flag is official misconduct.

Guy Stone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Watch the slow motion part a few times. The bike actually starts turning back towards the cop, and the biker seems to lean towards the cop, not away.
Sheesh, the biker saw what coming and was bracing himself. You'd do the same thing. Watch the cop, never ming the guy on the bike. You can almost read the cop's mind from his body language.

He also seems to be one of the last bikers. Another reason I suspect he was a target.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Dude, seriously. Put down the bong.
Why? You know anybody on the force or in the PBA? I know a good dozen or so officers on the force in different divisions all tell me basically the same thing, the union, and the officers in the union, keeps tabs on those who oversee them to cover their (the union's) ass. Heck, the former and current head of the NYPD's Intelligence Division are former FBI and CIA intelligence workers. Try telling me they don't have the capability or wherewithal to do this.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 01:56 PM

If these Critical Mass people had helmets and bmx type protection, the cops might think twice about doing shite like that.

An armed society is a polite society - Heinlein. Give every non-criminal a gun and lets see how much crime there is.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Why? You know anybody on the force or in the PBA? I know a good dozen or so officers on the force in different divisions all tell me basically the same thing, the union, and the officers in the union, keeps tabs on those who oversee them to cover their (the union's) ass. Heck, the former and current head of the NYPD's Intelligence Division are former FBI and CIA intelligence workers. Try telling me they don't have the capability or wherewithal to do this.
Yep, and if you are somehow related to somebody in the NYPD (family, spouses) chances for you to get tickets are very very slim. It is frowned upon in that PD to actually ticket family members of another cop.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 05:43 PM

There's a lot of assumptions here in this thread. Let's make some more.

1) The cyclist had engaged in some crime earlier in the event and his description had been radioed ahead to the two cops there waiting for him.

2) The cyclist is known to this cop. They've had run-ins before and there's a warrant out for this guy.

3) The cops are walking across the road. The cyclist never once hits his brakes. Maybe that's an offence or something? It'd certainly be an offence here.

There's no way on earth that cop would do that with so many people around and with some of those people holding cameras unless there was good reason. You want to body-slam someone for no good reason? You do it when there's nobody watching.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

Rumor
Jul 31, 2008, 06:04 PM

The cop starts walking towards the bikes path, the cyclist moves to avoid him, then as he passes, the cop rushes him.

At least, that is what is evident to me.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 06:24 PM

Clogging up traffic? They ARE traffic - they have exactly the same rights to use the road as others.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by zombie punk View Post
Clogging up traffic? They ARE traffic - they have exactly the same rights to use the road as others.
Settle down, little buddy.

The point of this protest was to clog up traffic. That was their purpose. That's why they got together and said, "Hey, let's all ride our bikes at a fairly slow pace in the streets of the fastest city in the world."

It was obnoxious. Legal, sure. But obnoxious.

I don't have anything at all against cyclists. If people want to ride their bikes everywhere they go, I'm definitely in favor of it. I'm thinking about doing it myself, even though I don't exactly live in the kind of city conducive to that means of transportation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
The cop starts walking towards the bikes path, the cyclist moves to avoid him, then as he passes, the cop rushes him.

At least, that is what is evident to me.
Definitely rushed him. It made me think of the late 90s.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 06:36 PM

Heh, you know what's funny? It's possible to think that Critical Mass is a bunch of jackholes without defending the police in this situation. It's even possible to do that if you yourself are a cyclist who wishes motorists would pay more attention to you!

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 06:56 PM

...but somehow none of the responsibilities. You know, having to pass a test, pay road tax, pay insurance, etc., etc..

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
...but somehow none of the responsibilities. You know, having to pass a test, pay road tax, pay insurance, etc., etc..
Of course they have the responsibilities of all road users - to obey the laws on the road. Tests, road tax, insurance etc apply specifically to certain road users. Their lower level of burden reflects the fact that they contribute vastly less to pollution, road damage, hazard and congestion than their counterparts in cars.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 07:03 PM

Yeah...

I guess the biggest thing to remember is that there are GAPING holes in this story; we can only speculate to fill them in. We don't know who either individual is, what was said, if there was a history here, or anything. We just see a video of a cop giving a pretty good lick to a protestor on a bike.

I don't know what happened. It does make me think of that quote:

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy the people who aren't in them.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 31, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Yeah, well...

You don't have to pass a test because bikes don't kill. Motorized vehicles do so you'd better learn how to drive them.
You don't have to pay road tax because bikes don't create any pollution and they do no damage to roads.
You don't have to pay insurance because you're not messing with anyone's lives or anyone's expensive property. In fact, you're pretty much risking your own life and risking smashing your own bike and at most causing a scratch on other people's vehicles.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 07:09 PM

Of course they have the responsibilities of all road users - to obey the laws on the road. Tests, road tax, insurance etc apply specifically to certain road users. Their lower level of burden reflects the fact that they contribute vastly less to pollution, road damage, hazard and congestion than their counterparts in cars.
When I see cyclists pass a test, pay insurance, stop at red lights, not mount the sidewalk, etc., then I'll treat them as equals. Until then they're a lower class of road user as far as I'm concerned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules