Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread

Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread
tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 05:13 PM

Let me start this off.

Everything seems to be running fine. Speedier to be sure. OK, problems encountered:

• Restart after installation reboot hung at a blank blue screen. Had to force shutdown and restart. OK after that.

• Almost all 3rd party screen savers do not work (Whitecap in particular).

• Weird Empty Trash problem. Wouldn't empty and just hang with numerous attempts Force restart Finder, drag trashed files to different internal HD. Trash now empties A-OK.

• BIGGEST ISSUE: When Safari displays my Top Sites (I have 12 displayed), I click on one of them and instead of displaying the dimmed zoomed page just before the refresh, I get a stretched and distorted image of the page. Might be a problem with the program, but I suspect SL is not playing nice with my graphics card, which is a replacement 8800GT.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 05:24 PM

Same problem with Safari & top sites. Same graphics card.

Sometimes hangs FOREVER trying to view top sites.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Aug 28, 2009, 05:31 PM

MacBook Pro forgets wi-fi networks after sleep. I'm constantly typing in my Airport network name and password after my MacBook Pro goes to sleep. It doesn't ask every time but often enough that it's bugging me. Other than that no real problems with Snow Leopard.
Who'sDaMac?

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 05:49 PM

Mail repeatedly quitting when I try to create a new account.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 06:02 PM

I'm not getting any sound from any embedded safari browser video!!

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2009, 06:28 PM

Quirks I've noticed in the first hour:

• The new method used to display file sizes seems flakey. When getting info on files it seems to randomly switch between the new and old. I'll see if a reboot fixes this behavior.

• For some reason Mail decided that my notes needed to be shown in my Inbox by default. A quick trip to the account preferences fixed this.

• No matter what I try I can't get the Finder to open in 32-bit mode. (Nor any of the applications in the CoreServices folder for that matter.) Completely disables a few of the contextual menu plug-ins I use. Hopefully the authors release 64-bit versions.

So far nothing that counts as a show stopper. Would prefer a system wide 32-bit default option for applications since not everything needs to be 64-bit for the sake of it. Will have to make do until iStat menus, FolderGlance, Growl, AdBlock and Click2Flash get updates to be fully compatible.

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
To continue using them just open System Preferences in 32-bit mode.
( Last edited by Trekkie; Aug 28, 2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added a reply.)
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 07:07 PM

I don't know how hard it would be to run 32-bit plugins in 64-bit apps (CM items, prefpanes, etc) but it'd be nice.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2009, 07:11 PM

Not a post install issue, but an issue installing. Started the installer, progress bar got to maybe 10% and started what looked like a reboot, and has been hung there with the spinning lines thing for about 25 minutes now.

Giving it a few more minutes and then I'm gonna kill the power.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 07:11 PM

dumb question (cough, cough); is there a registration process with 10.6? didn't see one on startup...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tonewheel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
Sounds good. HOW?

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2009, 07:38 PM

Get Info on any application and you'll see an option to open in 32-bit mode. Also, I have an 8800GT as well and I'm not having the issue you mentioned with Safari's Top Sites nor problems emptying the trash.
-Trekkie

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 07:41 PM

FLIP 4 MAC WMV doesn't work anymore. I have a video on my desktop that is a .wmv and when i try to open it in snow leopard, it says "Quicktime has to be installed to play this". But of course, quicktime is installed and if i select to open the file using quicktime, it works. But trying to use Flip4Mac doesn't
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by I'mDaMac View Post
MacBook Pro forgets wi-fi networks after sleep. I'm constantly typing in my Airport network name and password after my MacBook Pro goes to sleep. It doesn't ask every time but often enough that it's bugging me. Other than that no real problems with Snow Leopard.

I heard about this problem - try to delete your airport prefs....
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
FLIP 4 MAC WMV doesn't work anymore. I have a video on my desktop that is a .wmv and when i try to open it in snow leopard, it says "Quicktime has to be installed to play this". But of course, quicktime is installed and if i select to open the file using quicktime, it works. But trying to use Flip4Mac doesn't
Update to the latest beta of Flip4Mac.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
dumb question (cough, cough); is there a registration process with 10.6? didn't see one on startup...
Yes, only if you're doing a clean install, just like before.
Vandelay Industries

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2009, 08:00 PM

Does pith helmet still work on safari?

edit : No it doesn't. Tried to install it it and although it said "successful" there was no pith helmet.
( Last edited by tkmd; Aug 28, 2009 at 08:49 PM. )
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 09:20 PM

The beta of Flip4Mac worked. Thanks.

-Q-
Aug 29, 2009, 01:44 AM

Losing icons in the finder for some reason.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2009, 02:25 AM

^ I'm getting that too, and also subpixel-rendering doesn't seem to be being used for the font smoothing, even though my monitors are both LCDs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 03:57 AM

Q, try deleting the .DS_Store files in any folders that have that problem. CharlesS, go into the Appearance preference and check to make sure the font smoothing wasn't changed, mine had somehow been disabled.
-Trekkie

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2009, 04:00 AM

^ That's the first thing I tried. The Appearance settings appear to be as they should be.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 07:40 AM

My MacBook 13" (1st gen unibody) now has interesting screen res options

Selecting the first 1280 x 800 does a fade-to-blue and comes back this way.

timhale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
Let me start this off.

Everything seems to be running fine. Speedier to be sure. OK, problems encountered:

• Restart after installation reboot hung at a blank blue screen. Had to force shutdown and restart. OK after that.

• Weird Empty Trash problem. Wouldn't empty and just hang with numerous attempts Force restart Finder, drag trashed files to different internal HD. Trash now empties A-OK.

• BIGGEST ISSUE: When Safari displays my Top Sites (I have 12 displayed), I click on one of them and instead of displaying the dimmed zoomed page just before the refresh, I get a stretched and distorted image of the page. Might be a problem with the program, but I suspect SL is not playing nice with my graphics card, which is a replacement 8800GT.
  • Restart - blue screen hang - me too. Forced it to shut down and started it back up - no problem
  • Weird trash problem - me too. FIX - the empty trash default changed to "secure empty trash" - turned this off.
  • Otherwise no problems.

tech.bear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2009, 06:50 PM

One of the things that really bummed me out about the upgrade was that PithHelmet stopped working in Safari. After reading some posts about fixes for other programs, I found a work-around to get it working. Unfortunately, it involves running a 32-bit version of Safari. Here's what I did:

o Right-click on Safari.app
o Click "Get Info"
o Check the box that says "Open in 32-bit mode"
o Run Safari, and you should now get a SIMBL error. This means that PithHelmet is trying to load. Close Safari
o Edit the file "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle/Contents/Info.plist" (After backing it up, of course!)
o Look for "<key>MaxBundleVersion</key>" down towards the bottom; now look at the next line. It's the <string> line.
o Change the number to 9999.9
o Save the file
o Start Safari. PithHelmet should now be running!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by tech.bear View Post
One of the things that really bummed me out about the upgrade was that PithHelmet stopped working in Safari. After reading some posts about fixes for other programs, I found a work-around to get it working. Unfortunately, it involves running a 32-bit version of Safari. Here's what I did:
PithHelmet suxx in terms of compatibility.

It stops working after every update. It's so annoying, I stopped using it.
I'm testing GlimmerBlocker right now. Works with Firefox, too.

-t

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tech.bear View Post

o Right-click on Safari.app
o Click "Get Info"
o Check the box that says "Open in 32-bit mode"
o Run Safari, and you should now get a SIMBL error. This means that PithHelmet is trying to load. Close Safari
o Edit the file "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle/Contents/Info.plist" (After backing it up, of course!)
o Look for "<key>MaxBundleVersion</key>" down towards the bottom; now look at the next line. It's the <string> line.
o Change the number to 9999.9
o Save the file
o Start Safari. PithHelmet should now be running!
so many simpler options; for example, i'm using a stylesheet (i downloaded "AdSubtract.css" a few years ago, and works perfectly (including in 10.6)...

there's also:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33567
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 07:11 PM

I've upgraded four Macs here at the house, and the only issue I can see so far is this (copied from my reply at MacFixIt):

The one, glaring issue I've noticed on two MacBooks (out of four total Macs in the house. One MacBook, one Pro), is that clicking on the trackpad is now intermittent. For example, simply tapping to click an "ok" button in a dialog now might take as many as three clicks (usually two) for the OS to actually "recognize" that I've tapped at all.

This behavior was definitely not present with either of these MacBooks previously, and in fact, the trackpads were responding perfectly prior to the Snow Leopard upgrades.

Anybody else experiencing intermittent trackpad tap/click recognition?

Other than that, I had to re-register one of my Macs with Apple, as though it were a brand-new installation. I think that's it so far.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2009, 09:34 PM

I'm (knock on wood) not having any trackpad issues. Are the ones from MacFixIt/yours pre-Unibody macs? Methinks Apple may have optimized the drivers for multi-touch trackpads.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
This lets me test them, and they seem fine; but when the screen saver kicks in (or I start it with a hot corner) it still doesn't work...

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 07:31 AM

I'm having random safari trouble. sometimes when i go to some of my bookmarks, i get the following message:
"Safari can’t find the server. Safari can’t open the page “http://www.msnbc.msn.com/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.msnbc.msn.com”.

But then i hit reload and the page loads correctly. THis has only been happening since installing SL, it's happened to multiple websites in the last 48 hours.

definately a SL thing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 07:41 AM

That's a DNS issue that may or may not be related to your OS upgrade.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
^ I'm getting that too, and also subpixel-rendering doesn't seem to be being used for the font smoothing, even though my monitors are both LCDs.
Dell?

http://blog.jjgod.org/2009/08/18/sno...-lcd-displays/

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 08:39 AM

how do i fix that DNS issue?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2009, 08:44 AM

You can try using OpenDNS IPs.

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

https://www.opendns.com/start/

peter myson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2009, 10:01 AM

My MBP still won't wake from sleep even after a clean install. Plus Dreamweaver MX 2004 won't start.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 10:20 AM

MS Intellimouse sometimes just speeds up.

-Q-
Aug 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

Quicktime stopped playing .mkv files. Installing Nice Player and launching it once corrected this.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by peter myson View Post
My MBP still won't wake from sleep even after a clean install. Plus Dreamweaver MX 2004 won't start.
Dreamweave MX 2004 worked poorly in Leopard for me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
You need to install Flip4Mac beta available for download on their website. Works pretty well with Snow Leopard.
( Last edited by pat++; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:04 PM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

My issues so far:

- Colors are wrong on my MacBook Pro. It seems that the screen displays less colors then before
- Unable to print with Deskjet 6800 — Now fixed — Printer has to be connected with USB first for Snow Leopard to download the HP driver updates. It doesn't work over the network. Good to know.
( Last edited by pat++; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:03 PM. )

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'm (knock on wood) not having any trackpad issues. Are the ones from MacFixIt/yours pre-Unibody macs? Methinks Apple may have optimized the drivers for multi-touch trackpads.
Mine is the mid-2009 MBP unibody.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Yep, a 2408wfp, although it was also happening on the laptop's internal display. The defaults command from your link seems to have fixed it. Ah... much better.

Thanks.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2009, 02:15 PM

After upgrading Spotlight has been reindexing for over a day... I boot from a firewire drive and have 325 GB of data.... is this normal?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
After upgrading Spotlight has been reindexing for over a day... I boot from a firewire drive and have 325 GB of data.... is this normal?
Mine didn't take that long.

Maybe the spotlight index has become corrupted.
You could try Spotless to re-index altogether.

-t

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 02:33 PM

The new fixed-width font "Menlo" doesn't appear in the 'Fixed Width' collection of the Font Panel. Oops.

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by pat++ View Post
My issues so far:
- Colors are wrong on my MacBook Pro. It seems that the screen displays less colors then before
I had this occur on my Apple 24" LED Cinema Display. When I opened System Preferences > Displays > Color, the right profile was selected, but when I clicked on another and then back on the correct one, the correct color appeared. It looks like the upgrade just forgot which was the right color profile. Reselecting it restored the color settings.

Also of note, the default gamut settings in Snow Leopard have changed to match our PC counterparts (now 2.2 versus the long-time 1.8 for pre-Snow Leopard Macs).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
The new fixed-width font "Menlo" doesn't appear in the 'Fixed Width' collection of the Font Panel. Oops.
It does here.
Vandelay Industries

FastAMX79
Aug 30, 2009, 03:52 PM

So far (for me) my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard shortcuts are no longer working.... the volume keys no longer control the volume but now do dashboard, expose, and a few other thing in fact none of the icons on my Function keys no longer do what is printed on them.... I guess i'll have to reprogram them when I become unlazy

My MS Bluetooth Mouse 5000... the scroll wheel no longer works. Scrolling up and down doesn't move pages.

Other than that just a few odds and ends arn't working but I am sure updates will be out soon enough..
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2009, 04:04 PM

Spotless is not compatible with 10.6... even when I turn off Spotlight by adding my drive in the privacy tab spotlight is still telling me it is indexing my drive.... ???

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It does here.
Oh damn, now you got me debugging this one all night

Forum Links
Forum Rules