Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook slow going to sleep now

Powerbook slow going to sleep now
Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 03:58 PM

Up until a couple of weeks ago closing the lid on my powerbook (15 alu) would put it to sleep inside a couple of seconds. Now however it seems to need about 20 seconds before it goes to sleep, the hd spins down and the the light starts pulsing. I don't know what has caused this but it's very annoying as I don't like moving until it's asleep.

Has anyone else got this problem, I can't immagine what has caused it?
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 04:08 PM

take a look at activity monitor...there might be something running (an online app? or??) that is taking time to close before allowing your pb to sleep...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Mike Pither  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 04:42 PM

I don't see anything odd there but maybe I don't know what I am looking for.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

GeneShifter
Aug 13, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
Up until a couple of weeks ago closing the lid on my powerbook (15 alu) would put it to sleep inside a couple of seconds. Now however it seems to need about 20 seconds before it goes to sleep, the hd spins down and the the light starts pulsing. I don't know what has caused this but it's very annoying as I don't like moving until it's asleep.

Has anyone else got this problem, I can't immagine what has caused it?
I have a rev A 12"PB. I had the same problem back in December '03. The time that it took to go to sleep seemed to get longer and longer each time. I could solve my problem, though, by rebooting and everything was fine for about a week and the problem came back. So, I decided to live with it and the next time it took longer, i just ignored it. Then about 2 weeks later, the PB stopped staying asleep. I would put it to sleep and then it would wake itself in a matter of 30 sec or less. After a week, I called Apple and they sent a box. But, while waiting on the box, I got Panther and installed it and the problem went away. I have not had a problem with this baby since.

I would make sure to reboot maybe every week to see if you can replicate the problem. Then, try reinstalling your OS. Finally, call Apple.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

Forum Links
Forum Rules