Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Visa warranty for Mac

Visa warranty for Mac
David Kroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 05:12 PM

I saw a post last night that in the middle included info about getting a warranty through Visa, when you purchase the Mac on Visa. Now I can't find it, and I don't remember what the original topic of the post was. Anybody know? Thanks.

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 05:48 PM

Here you go, David. Of course, this link is specific to Bank of America, but I'm sure you'll be able to find this available for your specific bank.

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/car..._platinum.html

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:36 PM

Here: http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/car..._benefits.html

basically if you buy the product with your gold or platinum VISA card they automatically double your warranty for free and then offer to extend it three more years for a fee. With Apple products this means a total of five years. The extension covers exactly the same things as Apple would cover during the first year. The only difference is that you can take it anywhere you want to repair and VISA will reimburse you.

Great and apparently underutilized service. And MUCH cheaper than applecare.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by pete:

Great and apparently underutilized service. And MUCH cheaper than applecare.
...so true...

PeterKG
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 07:54 PM

With Apple products this means a total of five years. The extension covers exactly the same things as Apple would cover during the first year. The only difference is that you can take it anywhere you want to repair and VISA will reimburse you.[/B]
I just went and signed up my to Apple notebook purchases for the free extended year. If you look at the print where they quote pricing for the three or five year extended warranty, it states prices quoted are not for laptop computers. So does this mean they are NOT covered for the three or five year period?
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 08:18 PM

No it doesn't. Computers are covered - I have used this service on many occasions. However, it may be that the prices are different. Just call them to ask- another advantage - they're open 24/7 and hardly any waiting.

Let us know how much it will cost you to extend

stonedworm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 08:33 PM

I havent had to warrany a computer with my mastercard double warranty, but i did warranty a snowboard. It was great. I bought the board at a discounted price and mastercard gave me an allowance to spend equal to the retail price. And they let me keep the broken snowboard

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 09:29 PM

yeah, they often let you keep the broken product. Also, if the repair is going to cost more than 75% (I think) of the new price, they will replace the product with the equivalent new one.

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 12:30 PM

so is the better then applecare? something good enought to replace applecare all togeather?

getting a laptop this fall, id appreciate your responses

There's someone in my head but its not me...

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 12:54 PM

Well, I think it's much better than applecare because it's cheaper, longer and covers the same things. I don't think technical support is included in this coverage, but maybe I'm wrong. I never really need tech support. If I have a problem, I just go to a local apple service provider, like tekserve here in NYC, they fix it, I put it on my credit card, I send in the receipt and claim form, and within a week I get the check in the mail. If I wanted to, I could also just call Apple and set it up directly with them.

They're also hassle free and never question anything. Customer is always right attitude which Apple doesn't always adhere to.

So, in a word, yes, better than applecare. Also, even though I'll probably sell this machine before then, my visa extended warranty will give me up to FIVE years of security. That's simply great.

David Kroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2004, 06:39 PM

Is this warranty transferable between people? My mother bought my laptop for me on her visa. If she signs up for the warranty (since it was bought on her credit card), will I be able to take in to service myself (instead of her doing it) without having any problems?

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 10:15 PM

Yes, you can take it in without a problem. If you want to, you can also transfer it formally for a fee of, I think, $10. The main thing is that it was purchased with a gold or above visa.

David Kroll  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the info everybody!

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 12:22 PM

thanks

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 12:38 PM

First, I assume this does not include Apple Phone
tech support. I'd like to have this confirmed. In order to extend the Apple warranty beyond two years, you would have to buy extended warranty through Visa. Any idea what this costs? Regardless, I just registered my Powerbook with Visa. I just bought Apple Care on my dual 1.25 and 20" cinema
several days before my one year anniversay. Is Apple Care transferable between products?

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 03:20 PM

In just called VISA to find out how much it would cost to extend my warranty (Powerbook G4/1ghz Al). I purchased it for $1945 and it would cost me
$191 to extend it for four years, or $123 for three years.

I forgot to ask about if tech support is covered. I kind of assume it isn't.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:12 AM

this is a great thread... hopefully other Mac owners will use this info when considering future purchases..

FYI, VISA also offers this type of protection in Canada..

eg: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/features.jsp#2
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules