Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Forum Creation

View Poll Results: iPod forum/section?
Poll Options:
Yes 143 votes (82.18%)
No 31 votes (17.82%)
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll
iPod Forum Creation (Page 2)
hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 12:06 PM

This is ridiculous.

The percentage of people wanting an iPod forum is increasing more and more as time goes by.

Why should we have to convince the nay-sayers why we need a dedicated forum. The numbers speak for themselves.

To rjenkinson;

(in reply to your first paragraph)
"it is acceptable and sensible because those forums already exist and because far more people have consumer and professional machines than people have ipods."

Times are a changing!

More and more people need iPod support and this demand will only grow as iPods become even more popular with the mini on its way. By your logic had an iPod forum already existed then it would be worth keeping, but as it doesn't already exist its not worth making. Rest assurd when MacNN has an iPod forum it will be popular as evidenced by the growing support for its creation.

(in reply to your second paragraph)
"not searching for threads within that forum is just laziness."

Your "laziness" is our freedom - Free us iPod users from the crap!

We (now some 71% of us at last count) don't want to scroll through crap about printers or muck around with searching. Let us scroll at our liesure as we, the overwhelming majority wish.

(in reply to your third paragraph)
"where do you draw the line?"

Where ever the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY want it drawn!

You say "i'm happy where the line is now" but the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of us aren't.

Why fight the majority on this issue. Can't you see;
we want an iPod forum
(and now with iPodlounge down) we need an iPod forum.

Moderaters listen to us please
Standard Rev B 17" Powerbook | OS X 10.3.2 | Xbench test result 121.67 | Wacom Intuous 2 tablet | Dr. Bott TiCase 17 | iPod 40G

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 01:44 PM

Are the Mod's even reading this?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Minty Fresh:
Hello McFly!! Guess they aren't
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 08:57 PM

Whether the Mods create a new iPod forum or not, this thread has been stimulating to read nevertheless!

The iPodlounge forums leave us with two interesting lessons:
1) Creating a new forum isn't easy as it seems. Would anyone here like to lose their posts from the last 60 days just because we created a new thread? I for one would not. It seems it's much harder than we imagined and does require alot of backend work the Mods might simply not have time to do. (I bet they were creating a new one for the Mini )

2) According to iPodloung "4,000 new memberships, 6,000 threads, 39,000 posts" in the last 60 days. Wow, that's ALOT of posts, threads AND memberships over a single "peripheral". If there was an iPod forum here there might be more hits to the MacNN forums AND possibly sponsors who support this site. More hits, more sponsors (I think).

Just to let you all know, I got the new Exo2 from http://www.lajo.biz/Xskn/

I have the 3G 10Gig iPod w/o Dock/Case/Remote

It's seems pretty and fixes some annoyances I've had with the iPod.

When I had the ExtremeMac case it was great for protection, but added to the bulk ALOT, plus getting to the controls (don't have the remote, plus I want to listen to other artists/albums on a whim, that's why I own an ipod an not a Discman) was a pain in the arse. So I decided to carry it freely around but then I got scratches (bought Brasso to rub these off, but can't keep doing it forever...), and scared that I will drop it all the time (sweaty hands). The MOST annoying thing though with using the iPod "naked" is that when it's in my pockets, the buttons are so sensitive that anything touching it sets the buttons off.

The Exo2 fixes alot of these problems:
1) The buttons are desensitized right to the perfect point where I won't accidentally switch to the next song, but my fingers pressed firmly activate the buttons and the scroll wheel.
2) It now looks svelt in its silicon rubberish protector and I can always access the buttons.

Some things about the Exo2:
1) It feels well, and I'm not kidding, like a condom, a little slippery (but not as slippery as the acutual iPod) but holding it firmly, it should not slip out of your hands. Plus it does attract alot of dust and hair (static buildup from the silicon)
2) It does have the adaptor plugin hole on the bottom so you can plug it in (but not into the dock, too big) and has holes in the back to let it breathe, so you can recharge it without worry.
3) Got the black, looks cool. Oh, also, you need to buy the screen protector separately (a must) for $3.50 extra.
4) The HOLD button is a little harder to get to now.

Give it a try, Lajo ship directly from Hong Kong, but I had no probs and it came in a week.

Cheers,
Echo
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 09:24 PM

Btw, another interesting gift for those reading this post:

HERE'S HOW TO WIN A FREE ITUNES SONG EVERY TIME IN A PEPSI!

I kid you not!

Yesterday was in the local convienence store White Hen Pantry here in Boston and wanted to buy a Pepsi to see if I win a song (really wouldn't drink Pepsi otherwise). I really wanted a winning one, so I thought maybe if I tilted the bottle at an angle I could look into it and see the bottom of the cap. I rotated the bottle around and strained to look through until I saw the words "ONE FREE SONG". Sure enough I bought it and opened it and won! I was so excited that I told the clerk this. He said, yeah, you can't do that with all of them, but it works on alot. We both got interested and spent the next 15 minutes rummaging around at the bottles and I came away with 5 more free songs!

Since then, people stare at me like an idiot when I in the supermarket or deli looking through the Pepsi bottles like I was a little kid looking up girls skirts. But damn it was so much fun. Now I've got a crap load of Pepsi that I don't really like, but oh so much fun.

Please, let me know if this works for you too.

Umm, just to make a point, if this were a new post, where would it go?
I didn't make it up, it really does work to angle the Pepsi bottle and try and make out the words to win a free iTunes song. Would this post belong in the Peripherals, Lounge (please don't make me go there...) or the Software forums (since it deals with iTunes)?

Exactly, it doesn't exactly belong in any of them (well ok, maybe the lounge, but I really don't like it there).

This again underscores the significance of having an iPod forum and how the iPod is more that just a peripheral. There are certain nuances about the iPod, that by placing it along with the other peripherals, you hinder the ability for Mac fans to really engage in in-depth discussion about it. That is what these forums are about, creating discussion and community about our love (yes, I do mean love) of Apple products and supporting others who care about this "niche" product.

Those of you who say that a forum for such a device that is only a "niche" Mac peripheral is not neccessary, are wrong. This is reminiscent of Windows users who say that having forums dedicated to the Mac is useless because it's just another niche operating system with little share. But they are wrong also. WE NEED an iPod forum, just as all Mac users need a Mac forum to exchange idea an feel a sense of community in a heavily dominated windows world.

Pull the iPod out of the peripherals forum, give it some space to breathe and be its own, please.
( Last edited by echosphere; Feb 17, 2004 at 09:31 PM. )

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 10:27 PM

One more comment about this. There happens to be both a Software forum AND MacGames forum (which, of course, discusses software)...this is in addition to the laptop (Powerbook/iBook) and desktop (PowerMac/iMac & eMac) breakdown as well...so for those who are so scared of disrupting the precious Peripherals structure: get over it! Chaos will not ensue and an iPod forum is actually quite sensible.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 06:12 AM

An iPod forum would be really sweet.

Gimme!
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 12:21 PM

73 76.04%
23 23.96%
Total: 96 votes

Come on.....look at the votes!!!! I believe the people have spoken...sheesh!

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by shrink:
First of all, if I am understanding your argument correctly, it is based on classification (iPod = peripheral; therefore belongs in peripherals forum). Well, the iPod is quite different from other peripherals both in impact and usability (see various comments above). Furthermore, if classification is so important to you, why is it acceptable and sensible to have separate iBook/Powerbook forums and not just a portable/laptop forum? The difference between an iPod and a mouse is MUCH greater than the difference between an iBook and Powerbook.

Secondly, no one is asking for a new forum for "every single popular new peripheral" - just one...and an iPod forum would hardly make this site "a pain to browse." In fact, it would actually improve usability in many peoples' opinions. I understand your concern about spawning senseless forums, but there is absolutely no evidence that would happen.

Furthermore, I also fail to see how the presence of the ipodlounge acts as an argument against having an iPod forum here. ...

rj:

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

at least add iPod to the description under the Peripherals forums?
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2004, 12:57 PM

First of all, if I am understanding your argument correctly, it is based on classification (iPod = peripheral; therefore belongs in peripherals forum). Well, the iPod is quite different from other peripherals both in impact and usability (see various comments above). Furthermore, if classification is so important to you, why is it acceptable and sensible to have separate iBook/Powerbook forums and not just a portable/laptop forum? The difference between an iPod and a mouse is MUCH greater than the difference between an iBook and Powerbook.

Secondly, no one is asking for a new forum for "every single popular new peripheral" - just one...and an iPod forum would hardly make this site "a pain to browse." In fact, it would actually improve usability in many peoples' opinions. I understand your concern about spawning senseless forums, but there is absolutely no evidence that would happen.

Furthermore, I also fail to see how the presence of the ipodlounge acts as an argument against having an iPod forum here. ...

rj:

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 01:01 PM

Furthermore, I also fail to see how the presence of the ipodlounge acts as an argument against having an iPod forum here. By that logic, there should be no forums here altogether since other Mac forums already exist. If anything, the ipodlounge underscores the glaring omission of an iPod forum here - a major Apple hardware product that has had tremendous cultural influence does not merit special attention on an Apple news site
Yeah!!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Come on MOD's...are you guys even reading any of this....can we please have an iPod forum!?

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 12:09 AM

"bump"

[that is shameless,sorry folks]

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2004, 02:24 AM

Great to see the sky rocketing support for our new iPod forum. Keep it up guys. Please vote and write a short note showing your support.

Isn't that a nice thought, the moderators have the chance to make a widespread group of humanity happy just by creating this eagerly anticipated iPod forum.

Standard Rev B 17" Powerbook | OS X 10.3.2 | Xbench test result 121.67 | Wacom Intuous 2 tablet | Dr. Bott TiCase 17 | iPod 40G

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 06:24 AM

Do it!!!!!!

Create the forum!!!!
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 11:43 PM

Would you look at that...with the new mini now out, there seems to be a rise in threads, 13 on the first page that I can see. I still fail to see why we can't have an iPod forum. Sheesh.

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 02:23 AM

Agreed.

Even the people who want the Peripherals forum for peripherals must agree that iPods will end up taking up more and more space on the forum as Minty Fresh says.

Make a new iPod forum and both those interested in peripherals and iPods will be better served.

Moderators where are you?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by schuey100:
Excellent post. Why are the mods disagreeing here? Is it just out of Dogma? I really can't see any argument against it....
I quickly read through the thread and hadn't seen any mod respond, so not sure about your point.

As for a seperate forum, I don't see the need, it may add work to the mods and finally how many posts are there for the ipod. Personally since I don't own one, I really don't care if its moved over to a seperate forum.

Here's one observation, since the number of posts for the ipod is low, and someone goes to a seperate forum, they may not get any answers since people really won't frequent that forum, they will then try to post it here and the mods will lock it and people will get pi$$ed because thry can't get answers. Look at some of the other forums here like classic os - pretty quiet. Splitting it out may actually be a dis-service. that of course presupposes that the level of activity would remain low.

Like I said I don't own one so I really could care less what the mods do regarding the ipod.

Regards
Mike

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I quickly read through the thread and hadn't seen any mod respond, so not sure about your point.

As for a seperate forum, I don't see the need, it may add work to the mods and finally how many posts are there for the ipod. Personally since I don't own one, I really don't care if its moved over to a seperate forum.

Here's one observation, since the number of posts for the ipod is low, and someone goes to a seperate forum, they may not get any answers since people really won't frequent that forum, they will then try to post it here and the mods will lock it and people will get pi$$ed because thry can't get answers. Look at some of the other forums here like classic os - pretty quiet. Splitting it out may actually be a dis-service. that of course presupposes that the level of activity would remain low.

Like I said I don't own one so I really could care less what the mods do regarding the ipod.

Regards
Mike
People keep talking about needing another Mod...more resources used. But really...would the forum need to be policed that much. I mean it would be an iPod forum...most likely the only people that would post in there, would be people with questions and such about iPod/iTunes. This forum (Peripherals), has one Mod - Steve. Now...do you ever really see a thread in here needing to be locked...other than maybe something about networking. In all 7 pages of this forum...there are only 4 locked threads! That's 4 out of 350 threads that really needed a Mod's attention....and that's in a forum that covers a lot broader subject matter than just iPod/iTunes.

With the rise in popularity in the iPod, and iTunes...I think a seperate forum would certainly not be a "dis-service". 28% of the threads on the first page alone are iPod topics. I actually think that's a pretty high number. If people see a forum called "iPod/iTunes", then how would they not get answers...if the only thing posted in there is about the iPod, and iTunes. Insted of coming to a forum riddled with other topics about every other peripheral under the sun...and having to wade through the topics to find an answer.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by echosphere:
Btw, another interesting gift for those reading this post:

HERE'S HOW TO WIN A FREE ITUNES SONG EVERY TIME IN A PEPSI!

I kid you not!

Yesterday was in the local convienence store White Hen Pantry here in Boston and wanted to buy a Pepsi to see if I win a song (really wouldn't drink Pepsi otherwise). I really wanted a winning one, so I thought maybe if I tilted the bottle at an angle I could look into it and see the bottom of the cap. I rotated the bottle around and strained to look through until I saw the words "ONE FREE SONG". Sure enough I bought it and opened it and won! I was so excited that I told the clerk this. He said, yeah, you can't do that with all of them, but it works on alot. We both got interested and spent the next 15 minutes rummaging around at the bottles and I came away with 5 more free songs!

Since then, people stare at me like an idiot when I in the supermarket or deli looking through the Pepsi bottles like I was a little kid looking up girls skirts. But damn it was so much fun. Now I've got a crap load of Pepsi that I don't really like, but oh so much fun.

Please, let me know if this works for you too.

Umm, just to make a point, if this were a new post, where would it go?
I didn't make it up, it really does work to angle the Pepsi bottle and try and make out the words to win a free iTunes song. Would this post belong in the Peripherals, Lounge (please don't make me go there...) or the Software forums (since it deals with iTunes)?

Exactly, it doesn't exactly belong in any of them (well ok, maybe the lounge, but I really don't like it there).

This again underscores the significance of having an iPod forum and how the iPod is more that just a peripheral. There are certain nuances about the iPod, that by placing it along with the other peripherals, you hinder the ability for Mac fans to really engage in in-depth discussion about it. That is what these forums are about, creating discussion and community about our love (yes, I do mean love) of Apple products and supporting others who care about this "niche" product.

Those of you who say that a forum for such a device that is only a "niche" Mac peripheral is not neccessary, are wrong. This is reminiscent of Windows users who say that having forums dedicated to the Mac is useless because it's just another niche operating system with little share. But they are wrong also. WE NEED an iPod forum, just as all Mac users need a Mac forum to exchange idea an feel a sense of community in a heavily dominated windows world.

Pull the iPod out of the peripherals forum, give it some space to breathe and be its own, please.
So what you are telling me is that you are spending more than the price of an itunes song in order to win an itunes song, on purpose. Don't you think it might benefit apple more if someone who wasn't already into mac culture won a free itunes song, went to go download itunes, and then really got into it?

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 12:43 AM

Yeah, I can understand your response. Once a friend at work was going to buy the Soundsticks, a month later I asked him if he got them. He mumbled to me something about his wife saying "stealing food from his babies mouth..." (we both work at a non-profit for peanuts and his wife just had a baby...). What I'm trying to say is, actually, I have no idea. It may be bad Karma to cheat the Pepsi bottles, but it's just so much damn fun.

Anyways, has any else noticed how this board is overrun with iPod posts?
To naysayers about a new iPod forum, yes, it will die down, but yeesh, it's even getting hard for me to find info about peripherals. If I post something questions about my new HP scanner (which IS really cool looking) I can't find answers and no one can respond back easily because the post gets shoved to the bottom of the page (or the next one, yikes) by all the iPod postings. This "back of line" support for peripherals is getting to be actually a little frustrating. Sorry, but you mods may have dropped the ball by not creating an iPod forum. Now it may be too late....

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 02:45 AM

Sorry, but you mods may have dropped the ball by not creating an iPod forum. Now it may be too late.... [/B]
Mods - the game's not over. Pick up the ball, run across the iPod forum creation line and bask in the aplause of the 80% of us users hanging out for it . . .

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 02:09 PM

(another shameless bump)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 10:49 AM

BUmping it also...keep bumping it up people...
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 10:57 AM

Coming back from a bit of a holiday I was bummed to see no progress on the creation of an iPod forum and no word from the moderators about the depth of feeling from us memebers who want a forum.

It'd be interesting to hear from the word on high about the words coming from us down below, don't you think . . ?

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 04:07 PM

Yeah...it's really discouraging to see the Mod's NOT chime in on the matter. Or do anything about it. The votes are now 115 to 29...I think it's foolish at this point to at not least give the new forum a try.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

yes, was also curious. Why the moderators haven't given us any kind of answer?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Minty Fresh:
Probably not. Otherwise I would have thought this thread would be moved to MacNN Lounge or Feedback forum.

yes, was also curious. Why the moderators haven't given us any kind of answer?
They did! Have a look at this thread! Not sure whether the moderators comments are still valid today.

Personally, I think purely based on the amount of threads/messages on iPod alone should justified a seperate forum.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2004, 11:45 PM

Well....that thread is almost a year old! A lot has changed since then...and I think that now more then ever, an iPod forum should really be given a chance!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 03:33 AM

After signing up a while ago and not having gone back for even a longer while, I stopped by:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/

Boy, talk about micro-managing a forum! Rather than a single "Peripheral" forum, they've gone the extreme opposite and split hairs as fine as they could make them...

Would be nice to have a simple "General", "iPod for Macs", and a "iPod for Windows" for starters...

My $0.02.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 12:35 PM

Thanks veryniceguy2002, never noticed that post, I should have done some more searching, but then it's interesting to see results of the poll this post started.

Yeah, I also think things have changed. I'm sure we must sound like a broken record, but it would be very nice to have a separate ipod forum.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 01:52 PM

For pete's sake lets let this thread die, the mods spoke (last year) and have not chimed in so let it go.

Mike

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
For pete's sake lets let this thread die, the mods spoke (last year) and have not chimed in so let it go.

Mike
Umm...that was a year ago. Things change, forums revisions have been made here before, and an iPod forum is much more sensible now. There is nothing wrong with continuing to advocate for its creation, and the fact that many people are not letting it go and continue to lobby for it, is further evidence of its strong support. Many strong reasons have been cited and discussed earlier in this thread, and IMO the opinions against it are not nearly as strong and have been rebutted well.

The most common one seems to be "iPod=peripheral, therefore belongs in peripheral forum." As I wrote earlier, by that logic iBook/Powerbook and iMac/eMac/PowerMac = portable and desktop respectively, and therefore belong in a portable and desktop forum. Furthermore, MacGames = Software, therefore belongs in the Software forum. This line of thinking, while reasonable on one level, is inconsistent when considered in the context of the current organizational structure of these forums.

If there is a MacGames forum on this site, an iPod one is easily justifiable.

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 03:17 PM

If the iPod is *just* a peripheral...then a Mac is *just* a computer....

And we all know that this just isn't so...

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 02:34 PM

Gosh a whole series of iPod messages dominating the peripheral forum and still no word from the moderators about this little exercise in the majority trying to improve the world (or this very small part of it in the MacNN Forums) and convince the moderators to keep pace with the times and slip in an iPod forum for the 81% of us who want it . . .

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 02:32 AM

P.S. this poll is rigged.

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2004, 09:53 PM

The sad part is that Macnn has already lost out to ipodlounge...

WHenever I want to chat about iPods...I don't come to macnn...

Why? Because any iPod post will get lost with the flood of "peripheral"-related posts...sigh

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 03:08 AM

Hey, Apple just gave the iPod it's own business unit, sooooo, can't we have a separate iPod forum to match? Please?

hikouka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 04:48 AM

Hey, Apple just gave the iPod it's own business unit, sooooo, can't we have a separate iPod forum to match? Please?
Pretty please . . .

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 08:41 PM

Well, to revive a dead horse for a third time?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 06:24 AM

Please, not again.

Ever since the iPod came out there has been this debate. (the search feature is your friend) about a new forum.

On each occasion it has been decided by democratic vote that there was no need.

Are there people who don't get their iPod questions answered? In short, No.

Forum Links
Forum Rules