Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Whats the delay time on iPod mini?

Whats the delay time on iPod mini?
lokiminion51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 06:57 AM

Ok, so I got this message from apple today:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new iPod mini!
The demand for the iPod mini has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly as possible, but we cannot meet the ship date we previously estimate for you. We now expect to ship your iPod mini in three weeks.

Needless to say I'm extremely irritated. If they knew that they couldn't get me the iPod by 4/8 then they should have posted the real date instead of lying about it. Ok, that'll be it for my complaining. I don't want to hear anything from the diehard apple fanatics about you should just wait a month, be patient or any crap like that. The fact of the matter is they should have delivered it when they did, anyone who took an introductory business class should know that. Anyways that'll be the end of my complaining, no more trolling and what not.

I want to know whats the general wait time on getting an iPod mini? Including all the delays and everything.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 09:40 AM

I think production of the hard drive is what's holding everything up.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 10:12 AM

I ordered one on 3/11. It is for my better half's birthday. The ship date has been moved back to 4/13. Her birthday is on 4/16. Talk about pissed. I figured I had ordered it with plenty of time to spare. At the time Apple was saying that it would definately ship within 3 weeks. I am very close to putting a cancel on the order.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

According to the Apple Online Store if you were to order an iPod mini today the lead time is 3-5 weeks.

templetalker
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
According to the Apple Online Store if you were to order an iPod mini today the lead time is 3-5 weeks.

I just called my computer store, thinking about buying a sweet silver one for my trip to Oahu, I had no idea it was so popular. My luck have it, the store got ONE iPod mini & it was silver!
Sweet sweet gods of technology have rainith glory down upon me!

hondo
Apr 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

I ordered a silver iPod mini on 03/16 and it was suppose to ship on 04/07. On Monday, the 5th, I received the same e-mail about the supply and demand problems. The message said that it wouldn't ship until 05/04!! So, unless it happens to ship early, the delay for me was seven weeks.

What makes it worse is that I already sold my 15 gig iPod so the wait has been harsh.

templetalker
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by hondo:
I ordered a silver iPod mini on 03/16 and it was suppose to ship on 04/07. On Monday, the 5th, I received the same e-mail about the supply and demand problems. The message said that it wouldn't ship until 05/04!! So, unless it happens to ship early, the delay for me was seven weeks.

What makes it worse is that I already sold my 15 gig iPod so the wait has been harsh.
Hondo, you sold your 15 for a mini? I can dig it. Why did you decide to make this choice mate?

hondo
Apr 9, 2004, 12:02 AM

Well, other than my need to have the newest toy, it came down to the size. I was able to pick one up and hold it at the Apple store in Cincinnati and was surprised at how small it really is. After that I was sold. I used my 15 gig iPod mostly for running and working out so the smaller the better.

Also, I had around 1200 songs on the iPod I sold and found that I really didn't listen to all of the music. I was forwarding past a lot of it. I ended up going through my library and keeping only the music that I really wanted and it came out to around half of the original size.

You know, to me, after the novelty of being able to carry around all of my CD's wore off, I really didn't see the need to carry around that much music when I can manage my playlists and library in order to carry what I really want with me at any time.

hondo

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally they were to come available in April over here, now that has been pushed back to July, we can't even pre-order them yet.

Seems like Apple is onto a winner.

templetalker
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by hondo:
Well, other than my need to have the newest toy, it came down to the size. I was able to pick one up and hold it at the Apple store in Cincinnati and was surprised at how small it really is. After that I was sold. I used my 15 gig iPod mostly for running and working out so the smaller the better.

Also, I had around 1200 songs on the iPod I sold and found that I really didn't listen to all of the music. I was forwarding past a lot of it. I ended up going through my library and keeping only the music that I really wanted and it came out to around half of the original size.

You know, to me, after the novelty of being able to carry around all of my CD's wore off, I really didn't see the need to carry around that much music when I can manage my playlists and library in order to carry what I really want with me at any time.

hondo
Impeccable rundown Hondo. I was persuaded into buying the mini for all the reasons you gave . You make a great point about the novelty of carrying around your entire collection. I realized this too! Although I have many many albums, we can sometimes depreciate the value of music when so much is at our fingertips.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 12:01 PM

My 14-year-old ordered a pink mini on 3/30, with a shipping date (estimated) of on or before April 28. Until today, the order said "on or before." TODAY, it now says April 28 -- but I'm thinking, reading the above posts, that the ship date really will be in May. The kid is beside herself, so the waiting will be hard! And I'm the one who made her wait to order it -- I wanted her to actually pick one up and see one, instead of just ordering when they came out; She's buying it with her hard-earned money and I wanted her to see it first. So of course, the waiting is even harder, since she wanted to order sooner.

We ordered one just now for my 16-year-old (she mulls purchases longer) and the wait time, as earlier posters said, is 3 to 5 weeks.

Hmmm -- As my birthday is in May, I sure hope my family has ordered the one I've been wanting already!!! I've told them enough times what I want!!!

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 04:36 PM

I wish my dad bought me an iPod mini....or anything related to technology in that matter.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 07:39 PM

The mini iPod has probably been delayed because of a major engineering flaw in its design: Flaw with iPod mini

If this turns out to be true, Apple really needs to make some changes. They keep releasing flawed hardware: iBook logic board, Powerbook monitor splotches, crashing iPods, etc. Don't they test this stuff before releasing it. It's as if they use customers for beta testing.

Slashdot discussion re: iPod mini flaw

Ry�kan
Apr 11, 2004, 11:48 PM

Same for me. I ordered one in mid-March; shipping date was supposed to be on or before April 5; then it was bumped. Who knows when it will really ship.

hondo
Apr 15, 2004, 03:14 PM

I just wanted to update anyone that is interested. I received this e-mail today:

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 04/15/2004. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 10 days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price

M9160LL/A IPOD MINI 4GB SILVER-USA 1 224.00

So, it shipped before their May date.

hondo

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 04:00 PM

That's great news hondo. I ordered the mini 5 days after you did so hopefully I won't have to wait until May for shipment.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 09:37 PM

Woohoo!!!! I just checked my email and guess what? My iPod mini shipped today!!!!!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

hondo
Apr 15, 2004, 11:04 PM

Stogleman,

Woohoo is right!! I've been iPod-less for about a month now and it has been a gut wrenching wait. Even though the tracking says that the mini is still over seas, I feel better just knowing that it is on the way.

hondo

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
The mini iPod has probably been delayed because of a major engineering flaw in its design: Flaw with iPod mini

If this turns out to be true, Apple really needs to make some changes. They keep releasing flawed hardware: iBook logic board, Powerbook monitor splotches, crashing iPods, etc. Don't they test this stuff before releasing it. It's as if they use customers for beta testing.

Slashdot discussion re: iPod mini flaw
A company cannot resonably test long term insertion/taking out of a headphone. same with the battery life issue. No company has that kind of manpower.

gsk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 02:08 PM

<A company cannot resonably test long term insertion/taking out of a headphone. same with the battery life issue. No company has that kind of manpower.

Why not? Furniture companies do. Ever been to IKEA? They basically show you the testing in progress.

It's called quality control.

Forum Links
Forum Rules