Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to SMS/Text Message Photos

How to SMS/Text Message Photos
AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2008, 04:31 PM

I see that I can take a photo on my iPhone and email it, but how can i attach a picture to a text message?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2008, 04:41 PM

Sorry... iPhone can't do that yet...

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 06:52 PM

Nope. I was hoping for v2, but maybe v3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 06:59 PM

What makes this feature so difficult to implement that Apple can't deliver it even now?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2008, 07:00 PM

I'm surprised a third party vendor hasn't released an MMS app yet.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2008, 07:53 PM

Your posts confirm what i was really hoping wasn't the case. WOW. I can't believe this phone can't sent pictures via text message. I've been doing that for years now with a far inferior phone. What an oversight on Apple's part. WOW.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I'm surprised a third party vendor hasn't released an MMS app yet.
Maybe Apple wont allow it?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Maybe Apple wont allow it?
Either that or AT&T.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2008, 11:42 PM

because apple is lame. Come on. Really how difficult can it be? And how about cut and paste?
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 12:46 AM

Cut and paste should be there. Not sure about MMS. Just send an email.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 AM

Is there a way to "share" a photo in a MobileMe gallery via an email? Either a url or better yet, a linked thumbnail would would work for me. Wishful thinking?
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 07:50 AM

Email isn't good enough. Not everyone is at their computer all day long. and most phone users have a 'simple' phone with no email. So the iPhone needs text messaging the same way i need to go pee right now. bye.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 08:10 AM

In Apple's opinion MMS is redundant once you have regular email.

If you cannot agree with that you should not get an iPhone.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 22, 2008 at 08:54 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2008, 08:48 AM

Picture MMS is yesterday's technology. Like the floppy drive in the original iMac it's been dropped.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 09:46 AM

How is it yesterdays technology when the average person has an "average" phone that does not use email? I'm an Apple fan, yet I can perform independent thought. Apple is not God. No MMS is simply ridiculous.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 09:49 AM

When the iMac came out every computer had a floppy drive too. In a couple of years every phone will have email. And nobody will miss MMS. Just like nobody asks for a floppy drive today.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 09:56 AM

Very true Simon. I do agree that in say, 5 years or so, email on phones will be standard. My gripe is taking away an option unnecessarily when you encounter daily use for said option. Everyone in my family has a cell phone. I am the only one of 6 with email on my phone. See where I am getting with this?

I understand that it's not about one individual, and that the phone will sell in droves regardless. That still does not excuse the over-sight.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 10:13 AM

I see what you're saying. But it sounds exactly like what people were saying about the iMac's missing FDD. I'm not saying you can't miss MMS (and if you need it you should definitely not get an iPhone!), but I think Apple has simply decided it's history. I tend to agree. Eventually that will be the case.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 10:20 AM

Ok, I'm an idiot but isn't text messaging used to send text messages? If I want to send pictures, I email no?

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 10:32 AM

Apple tends to lead the way on these sorts of things. As folks have already mentioned, the floppy drive on the iMac is a perfect example of this. However, someone has to take the lead. Otherwise, progress wouldn't just come slow.... it wouldn't come at all.

As PPs have said, if you need MMS, the iPhone isn't for you.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 11:51 AM

Nerd, just because it's called a 'text message' doesn't mean you cannot have pictures included. Next time you stop at a gas station, don't even think about stoping in the c-store.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2008, 12:00 PM

Apple is not that stupid, they focus group the iPod and iPhone to death. If enough people really felt that MMS was an important feature, it would be there. I am sure based on demand, there are probably over 1000 functions people would like to see in an iPhone. Just like they had reasons not to put an analog radio receiver in the iPod.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 01:02 PM

You Apple fanboys amaze me. You will go to no end to defend Apple even on the simplest things. Yes the iPhone is great, I wouldn't give mine away for anything. But to not include cut and paste and sending photos in a text message is just STUPID. Sure you can use email, but we are a long way from email being common on cell phones. Just include and leave it up to us if we want to use it.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Nerd, just because it's called a 'text message' doesn't mean you cannot have pictures included. Next time you stop at a gas station, don't even think about stoping in the c-store.
Messages with pictures aren't "text messages", they're MMS messages, and are usually listed as such on your bill (they're WAAAY too expensive!).

Yes, MMS is "yesterday's technology" - but, until ordinary people have e-mail-enabled (not meaning that the phone can do it, but that it's not such a fricking NIGHTMARE that the user won't ever bother, as is the case on every single non-smartphone on the market), there is no substitute for immediate image delivery.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 01:08 PM

I'm surprised no app.store app hasn't jumped on this bandwagon, even if it is so 2000.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 01:13 PM

And that brings me to my other gripe: iPhone users will probably end up paying to enable a feature standard on 99% of other handsets.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Messages with pictures aren't "text messages", they're MMS messages, and are usually listed as such on your bill (they're WAAAY too expensive!).
In most of america you pay the same for both, on my plan it's $15 a month for unlimited SMS and MMS messages, including video messages.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Next time you stop at a gas station, don't even think about stoping in the c-store.
When I stop at a gas station, I get gas, nothing else (maybe windshield wiper fluid), so don't worry, I won't even think about a c-store because I have no idea what that is.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2008, 05:04 PM

You can send picture messages from the iPhone. It just takes an extra step. Using an email account, send the picture directly to the cell phone using this format: 10-digit number @ service provider's MMS address. Here's a list of some of the US provider's MMS addresses:

Alltel = [email protected]
Amp'd Mobile = [email protected]
AT&T = [email protected]
Boost Mobile = [email protected]
Centennial Wireless = [email protected]
Cingular (AT&T) = [email protected]
Einstein PCS = [email protected]
Nextel = [email protected]
Sprint = [email protected] or [email protected]
T-Mobile = [email protected]
US Cellular = [email protected]
Verizon Wireless = [email protected]
Virgin Mobile = [email protected]

MMS is just a way to bring a form of e-mail to a cell phone. I personally find it a bit out of date with the iPhone and other smartphones. To receive a picture from someone without a smartphone, just have them send the file to your e-mail address instead of your phone number.

It's a pain but it can be addressed by you and your friends updating your address books.
( Last edited by shrink; Jul 24, 2008 at 06:42 PM. )

freudling
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 06:10 PM

What a loser thread.

Kensington
Jul 25, 2008, 07:07 PM

I think it's a bit preposterous that it isn't possible to do something simple like attach a photo to a text message with the iPhone.....I have an LG Venus and I can quickly attach photo's AND videos to text messages.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 07:18 PM

Likening not having picture messaging to the iMac's lack of a floppy drive is a poor analogy. The iPhone does do regular messaging, so not having the ability to attach pictures is more like if the iMac had a floppy drive but it was low-quality and could only use double density 800KB floppy disks instead of high density disks.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 07:55 PM

Its a fair point that email will rule over MMS eventually (once everyone sees the light and buys an iPhone), but to not include MMS functionality its just ridiculous! Its just apple being awkward again!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 25, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by shrink View Post
You can send picture messages from the iPhone. It just takes an extra step. Using an email account, send the picture directly to the cell phone using this format: 10-digit number @ service provider's MMS address. Here's a list of some of the US provider's MMS addresses:

Alltel = [email protected]
Amp'd Mobile = [email protected]
AT&T = [email protected]
Boost Mobile = [email protected]
Centennial Wireless = [email protected]
Cingular (AT&T) = [email protected]
Einstein PCS = [email protected]
Nextel = [email protected]
Sprint = [email protected] or [email protected]
T-Mobile = [email protected]
US Cellular = [email protected]
Verizon Wireless = [email protected]
Virgin Mobile = [email protected]

MMS is just a way to bring a form of e-mail to a cell phone. I personally find it a bit out of date with the iPhone and other smartphones. To receive a picture from someone without a smartphone, just have them send the file to your e-mail address instead of your phone number.

It's a pain but it can be addressed by you and your friends updating your address books.
Thanks for that list, it should be quite helpful for half the problem.

The other half is receiving MMS messages on the iPhone.

Now, for the thought that not including MMS support is stupid: as has been stated, Apple's focus group work probably showed that the effort and resources needed to include MMS capability would not result in a positive return on investment (i.e. additional sales would not pay for the additional R&D). It seems that the lack of MMS capability isn't hurting iPhone sales.

So, in one particular case, it's "stupid" but for Apple it was a ROI decision.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 12:35 AM

Apple doesn't see the need to offer functionality that its phones don't need. Apple wants to sell phones so why offer something as outdated as MMS.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by anthology123
Apple is not that stupid, they focus group the iPod and iPhone to death.
You need to read your Apple history if you're gonna spout off about things where the exact opposite is true. Unlike just about everybody else, Apple doesn't focus group products. It's Steve's vision, with Jonny Ive doing the design. They take suggestions from people working within the project... But even within Apple there aren't a lot of spoons in the pot. That's why they make elegant stuff. If you want design-by-committee, I believe it's Windows Mobile you're looking for.

Go to Amazon and search for "Inside Steve's Brain," it's a newish book which includes a lot of behind-the-scenes how things came to be stories.

Apple and focus groups. Um, no.

Originally Posted by freudling
What a loser thread.
Yep.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2008, 01:09 AM

Text messaging is also dead. That is why ATT is charging for it with the new iPhone. They know that in 3 years, no one will pay for text messaging because every decent phone will have an IM client, so they are milking it while it lasts.

On this note, I predict Apple will be releasing iChat for the iPhone to demonstrate the new notification service coming in September. They almost always have an application to show off new technology and this is the perfect combination. Hello iChat, bye bye SMS.

Now, I know people will still depend on SMS for a few more years, which is why Apple has included it on the iPhone, but it will be dead and buried in 3 years.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 01:22 AM

SMSing, or texting, has been around in Asia and Europe for a few more years than the US. If you want clues about the future, look to see what trends are happening over there (more emails, less MMS). Chat popular but texting still king.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Text messaging is also dead. That is why ATT is charging for it with the new iPhone. They know that in 3 years, no one will pay for text messaging because every decent phone will have an IM client, so they are milking it while it lasts.
I doubt it.

SMS is universal. IM isn't. And I don't know anyone who uses MMS anymore. And in the next several years, email usage on phones will increase exponentially.

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Apple tends to lead the way on these sorts of things. As folks have already mentioned, the floppy drive on the iMac is a perfect example of this. However, someone has to take the lead. Otherwise, progress wouldn't just come slow.... it wouldn't come at all.
I guess you forgot that Apple released a floppy drive for the iMac.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I guess you forgot that Apple released a floppy drive for the iMac.
They did, eh?

Seriously, this whole MMS discusion is inane. Apple thinks MMS is history. If you need MMS, get another phone.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you need MMS, get another phone.
I think it should be that if people want MMS, they should just go ahead and get email.

moep
Senior User
Jul 26, 2008, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I'm surprised no app.store app hasn't jumped on this bandwagon, even if it is so 2000.
You see, maybe developers have tried to jump on it but apple closed the door on them.

If Apple (or AT&T) doesn't want the iPhone to have an MMS function, the iPhone won't get one. I don't like the concept of the app-store (benevolent dictation and such), but that's a whole different discussion.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I think it should be that if people want MMS, they should just go ahead and force all their contacts to get email.
Fixed for real-world relevance.

In five years, this won't be relevant. But today, it is.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
They did, eh?
Err.. Perhaps not. I just remember you could a floppy drive for it in short order, but some googling suggests they may all have been 3rd party. Still, Apple didn't block that, which mean that if you wanted to use a floppy drive, you could still get an iMac.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 08:35 AM

Exactly. Apple never offered a floppy for the iMac because Apple wanted the floppy dead. And they succeeded.

And from all can tell they're right on the money with the MMS thing again.

If you want to send pics use email. If you want to send them through MMS get another phone.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 08:40 AM

MMS was always meant as a stop-gap between SMS (texting) and email. These days more and more cell phones are email-capable so the need for MMS is lessening.

While some people might still want the functionality, it's really dying out. And in many cases, you are charged for SMS and data transfer anyways.

Quick and easy: SMS.
Quck and easy: Email. And if the other person doesn't have email on their phones, they can wait till they're home.

The iPhones are still missing too many things that people would use (Copy and paste, for one) to worry about MMSes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules