Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Fitbit reveals Charge, Charge HR, Surge fitness trackers

Fitbit reveals Charge, Charge HR, Surge fitness trackers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 27, 2014, 11:10 AM

Fitbit has revealed three new devices in its fitness tracker range, including one which did not leak prematurely. The Charge and Charge HR appear to be reworked versions of the Fitbit Force, while the Surge has a larger display and a built-in GPS, with the device set to provide more smartwatch-style functionality on top of its existing fitness-related data collection activities.

The Fitbit Charge has a slightly-altered design to the Force, reports Recode, with the device having a small OLED display capable of showing the time and information about the wearer's activities, while also offering caller ID for a connected smartphone. The water-resistant device is able to measure steps, distances, calorie burn, and floors climbed throughout the day, along with automatic sleep detection, and its battery is able to last for up to seven days on a single charge.

The Charge HR adds a heart rate sensor to the Charge, a function the company is calling PurePulse. Capable of continually monitoring the wearer's heart rate, the device is able to use the extra data to provide more accurate calorie burn readings, and can supply the companion app with heart rate data to uncover heart-related trends. The addition of the heart rate monitor does mean that the battery will last for just five days, rather than the standard Charge's week-long lifespan.

Fitbit Charge, Charge HR, Surge
Fitbit Charge, Charge HR, Surge

The last device, the Fitbit Surge, has a backlit LCD touch-enabled display and a multitude of extra sensors compared to the Charge and Charge HR. A tri-axis accelerometer and gyroscope is joined by a GPS, a heart-rate sensor, a compass, and an ambient light sensor to pick up even more data during activities, making it more useful when used independently from a smartphone. When within range of a mobile device, it will provide the usual smartwatch text and call notifications, though not to the same level of functionality as Android Wear devices and other smartwatches.

The Charge is being sold now in the United States for $130. Both the Charge HR and Surge will be shipping next year, priced at $150 and $250 respectively.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 27, 2014 at 01:29 PM. )

mgpalma
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2014, 02:09 PM

Honestly, with refusal to integrate with HealthKit this is not even worth reading about. Good luck.
-
Michael

daqman
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2014, 02:20 PM

I've got to agree with mgpalma on this. I had to buy a premium membership with fitbit so that I can export MY data (to have to pay extra for that is pure fraud). The other disturbing trend for me is that everyone is starting to make these thing wrist mounted. I personally hate having anything on my wrist, one of the advantages of having a smart phone is no longer needing to wear a watch.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Forum Links
Forum Rules