Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pictures of my 17" Al and 15" Ti

Pictures of my 17" Al and 15" Ti
iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 06:10 PM

Hello guys:

I've posted some pictures of my new 17" along with the 15". Thanks to everyone who posted their review and answered my questions that helped me with my decision in purchasing the 17".

Here is my pros/cons of the 17":

-Aluminum enclosure is durable and attractive
-Keyboard looks and feels great
-Ports on the sides are convenient however I prefer them in the rear with the door like on the Ti; looks cleaner in my opinion
-Backlit keyboard is cool
-The extra screen space is my main preference
-Display could be brighter; the 15" wins in this comparision
-Speed is on par with the 15" 1ghz ti
-Wireless signal is slightly better than the Ti
-Weight is not a problem! It is not much heavier than my 15".
-Sizzling sound on the 17" is apparent. The 15" Ti also has the sizzling sound but not as loud
-Speakers sound great!

PICTURES

You may have to sign-in in order to see them.

Thanks again everyone!
( Last edited by iDORK; Apr 19, 2003 at 03:10 AM. )

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 06:34 PM

I too at first preferred the ports on the back with a door. But, three and a half weeks later, I realize that side-mounted ports are very desirable. It's SO easy just to plug a power adapter, USB cable, and audio cable into the side, when sitting in your chair. I remember having to get up, open a door, and lean over trying to find the port. This is a lot better.

The wireless signal level is BETTER on the Ti? I noticed about a 40% improvement over my Ti 800. But, then again, I have an amplified antenna setup, so it could respond differently, but others' comments have been on par with mine.

The screen is slightly brighter on the Ti, but never have I needed more brightness than I get out of the 17". At night, I have the display at 1/3rd or less power, and in the day, I have it 'most' of the way up. The only time I would like more is when I have bright light behind me, washing out the image. But, it would take a huge amount more than the Ti ever provided to make a difference then. It might not even help - a reflective screen might be necessary to make a difference, which would be undesirable for a number of reasons.

I, too, prefer the keyboard over the Ti. The amount of force required to activate the key is perfectly matched to my typing style, and the shape of the key caps is much better. The backlight is also cool!

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
I too at first preferred the ports on the back with a door. But, three and a half weeks later, I realize that side-mounted ports are very desirable. It's SO easy just to plug a power adapter, USB cable, and audio cable into the side, when sitting in your chair. I remember having to get up, open a door, and lean over trying to find the port. This is a lot better.

The wireless signal level is BETTER on the Ti? I noticed about a 40% improvement over my Ti 800. But, then again, I have an amplified antenna setup, so it could respond differently, but others' comments have been on par with mine.

The screen is slightly brighter on the Ti, but never have I needed more brightness than I get out of the 17". At night, I have the display at 1/3rd or less power, and in the day, I have it 'most' of the way up. The only time I would like more is when I have bright light behind me, washing out the image. But, it would take a huge amount more than the Ti ever provided to make a difference then. It might not even help - a reflective screen might be necessary to make a difference, which would be undesirable for a number of reasons.

I, too, prefer the keyboard over the Ti. The amount of force required to activate the key is perfectly matched to my typing style, and the shape of the key caps is much better. The backlight is also cool!
The wireless signal on the 17" is better than the 15", but not by much from what I've noticed. I have the 1Ghz Ti so I'm not sure if the reception on it has improved from the Ti 800.

I agree with you with the ports on the side as more convenient. Having the ports in the rear did require me to lean over to find the correct port to plug-in.

Yes, I love the keyboard too!

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 07:42 PM

thx for posting the pics cant wait to get mine!!!! wish me luck!

hsvgoku
Apr 18, 2003, 08:44 PM

Nice setup you got there.

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Al-Sabah:
thx for posting the pics cant wait to get mine!!!! wish me luck!
thanks for checking them out =)

Good luck with your 17" and post some of your pics too!

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by hsvgoku:
Nice setup you got there.
thanks for checking them out! if anyone is interested in purchasing the incase leather sleeve case, i found it at smalldog.com for $59 (retails for $100 at the apple store) and the powersleevz from radtechfor $25.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

WHOA!!! Verrrrry nice!!

Lovin' the setup man, I'm glad you're enjoying your new 17" PB! Best of luck with it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
WHOA!!! Verrrrry nice!!

Lovin' the setup man, I'm glad you're enjoying your new 17" PB! Best of luck with it!
thanks assassyn! I hope you're enjoying your 17" (i believe you are) and best of luck with it too! you're the man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules