Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DVD Studio Pro Question

DVD Studio Pro Question
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 08:29 AM

I recently purchased DVD Studio Pro to run on my eMac. Unfortunately, I bought an external DVD drive, and as you may or may not know, Apple's DVD Player software doesnt' work with an external drive. I've tried patches, hacks, everything, and nothing works. While I've been screwing around with all this stuff, I haven't really had time to delve into DVD Studio Pro like I wanted to, because I've been dealing with these configuration issues.

So my question is this - how crucial is the DVD Player application to using DVD Studio Pro? I mean, is it worth it to even attempt to use this program if I can't use the DVD Player app. or is that an exercise in futility? Any help or info on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tr
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:16 PM

dude, didn't you just post here a few topics ago? i thought you said you were going to replace the stock drive in your eMac...? that would solve your problem with DVDplayer app. i don't think DVDSP really needs the DVD player app, don't know for sure, though.

tr

CreepShow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 12:52 PM

Dont need the player... Studio pro lets you see preview of the dvd b4 u make it... i have an external lacie on an older g4 that I use to burn DVDs For testing i use a regular DVD player to make sure it looks ok on the TV and that media is good on regular players.

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 02:27 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, tr, I've been posting a lot around here, trying to get all the facts so I can make a good decision about what I need to do about this. Right now I'm leaning towards the "screw it" path of not replacing anything for the time being, and just saving up for a new computer eventually. I was considering doing the replacement myself as the local repair shop guys swear I have to buy a customized eMac drive that goes for around $600, but I'm just 100% sure of my own abilities when it comes to fiddling around with the internal workings of my computer, so I guess this will work jsut fine for the time being.

Sounds good Creepshow. That might be the route for me!

Thanks again everybody!

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 05:11 PM

Although Apples DVD Player may not play automatically from your external drive, you can open the VIDEO_TS folder from Apple DVD Player and view the movie that way. Go to menu and choose open disc I think.

Alternatively, and a better option IMHO, is to use the OS X build of MPlayer. It works quite well on my machine and can play MANY different formats. There's other options like VLC, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules