Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > journalling stops fsck, and does not stop disk errors.

journalling stops fsck, and does not stop disk errors.
littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:59 AM

I was having problems with iTunes. It kept crashing, corrupting my Library etc. So after all my other attempts to fix it failed I restarted in single user mode and tried "fsck", it came back with a this drive is journalled and stopped the fsck. But when I forced the fsck using -f it found and fixed two multilinked files, and now my iTunes works perfectly.

Moral of this story is force the fsck don not believe the disk is OK just because it is Jounalled.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 07:12 AM

I just put a /sbin/fsck -yf at the start of my /etc/rc

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

K++
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 07:44 PM

Im assuming you skipped teh disk check during install. This is exactly why it checks, because once your HD is journaled, there is no reason you will ever need to run fsck.

Moral of the story is: Don't skip parts of teh installer and expect everything to work perfectly as Apple intended them to.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by K++:
Im assuming you skipped teh disk check during install. This is exactly why it checks, because once your HD is journaled, there is no reason you will ever need to run fsck.
That is certainly not true. Not at all.

I've been running with HFS+ (Journaled) since 10.2 came out, and I still have HD errors on occasion (i typically run fsck once a month).

Journaling is only effective against certain kinds of corruption. Disk errors can and will still occur - especially if you improperly eject/remove a disk or your computer suddenly loses power. Journaling makes it more likely your dive will be ok - but it's no guarantee.

A journaling FS is no replacement for regular maintenance and common sense - it just makes those two more effective.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

littlegreenspud  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 12:36 PM

I did NOT skip the disk check during install!

This happened I believe because of iTunes crashing.

I just wanted to warn people not to rely on the fact that your disk is journalled instead of running regular (especially after strange behavoir/crashes) disk checks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules