Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just bought a Bluetooth Mouse

Just bought a Bluetooth Mouse
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 07:31 PM

I love it. It is not as sensitive as I would like it but it comes pretty close. The mouse and my powerbook have been getting me alot of attention at work.
Hottest products I have seen

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 08:36 PM

I just bought the bluetooth mouse as well. It's a sexy little thing. Make sure you download uControl to enable scrolling.

I use my 17" Powerbook as a mousepad. It's not very smooth but I haven't any scratches.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
I love it. It is not as sensitive as I would like it but it comes pretty close. The mouse and my powerbook have been getting me alot of attention at work.
Hottest products I have seen
There should be a bluetooth update that will fix that. Just check for updates and it should help.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 11:11 PM

I noticed mine had a little different feel than most mice when I first got it, but you get used to it.
-nate

mmintler
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 11:14 PM

I just bought the apple wireless mouse. It works fine but I'm really surprised how fast it sucks up the battery!
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by mmintler:
I just bought the apple wireless mouse. It works fine but I'm really surprised how fast it sucks up the battery!
I've had mine now for about a month and my battery is fine, although i'm not sure if it is about to die or not.
-nate

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by dar77777:
I just bought the bluetooth mouse as well. It's a sexy little thing. Make sure you download uControl to enable scrolling.

I use my 17" Powerbook as a mousepad. It's not very smooth but I haven't any scratches.
What can uControl do for scrolling with the BY mouse? I have been holding off getting one because of lack of scrolling. What's it do!?!?

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 02:05 PM

What can uControl do for scrolling with the BY mouse? I have been holding off getting one because of lack of scrolling. What's it do!?!?
It enables virtual scrolling. You hold a key such as fn and move your mouse up/down/left/right to scroll.

DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 05:28 PM

I agree the sensitivity is a little awkward at times but that passes the more you use it. Then again I could live with that because the clean wireless look was my main reason for buying it. My only other gripe is its size. Its a little small for my mamoth hands LOL.
All and all its a great toy for any powerbook owner.

Peabo
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 09:39 PM

I've had mine for under 2 months and am on my 7th set of batteries I feel like I'm renting my mouse...
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 01:05 AM

What kind of batteries do you use? I got two months out of one set and fairly heavy use. I use energizers.

I'm seriously considering investing in some rechargables. Anyone?

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
I've had mine for under 2 months and am on my 7th set of batteries I feel like I'm renting my mouse...
Are you sure you are turning it off by flipping the cover when you are not using it?

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 08:11 AM

I have the Microsoft BT mouse. Though it used to skip in Jaguar it works fine in Panther and I can right click for a drop down list. I have no real complaints, except that I wish it was the same color as my 17" and not dark blue. I also wish it had an on/off switch to conserve battery power while being transported in my backpack.

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by dar77777:
It enables virtual scrolling. You hold a key such as fn and move your mouse up/down/left/right to scroll.
What about using the scroll keys on the keyboard instead? left-right and up-down?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mmintler:
My experience is just the opposite - my Apple mouse is about 5 weeks old and the battery still shows full power. While I don't use it all the time, I use it some most every day and it is really lasting. Do you close the latch on the bottom when you aren't using it?

bovie
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 02:48 PM

I have the Apple Bluetooth mouse and am think of getting the Logitech MX900 I have my MX700 on my PowerMac and love it to death. The MX900 is Bluetooth any one have it.

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 05:03 PM

I got an apple bt mouse when I got my alPB. I've had the setup for about a month. Whenever I wasnt using my mouse I shut it off. I was really trying to get the most out of my batteries. Damned if the things didnt go dead already though. I am now on my third set of batteries and looking to sell the little battery sucker. I just purchased "the mouse" from macmice.com Its a three button mouse with a scroll wheel that has the looks of the applepro mouse but is more functional, it rocks thus far If apple knew how crappy battery life was on its BT mice, it should have included a charging cradle or at least an AC adaptor to charge batteries.
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

critterdoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
What kind of batteries do you use? I got two months out of one set and fairly heavy use. I use energizers.

I'm seriously considering investing in some rechargables. Anyone?
Assuming a healthy mouse, I suspect that the answer will be found in the battery's mAH capacity, it's chemistry, and it's build quality.

My BT mouse is still in the box awaiting it's PowerBook, but digicam experience suggests that Maha's PowerEx 2200 mAH rechargeable NiMH AA cells will provide as much mouse power as you'll find, especially if you mouse a lot. One day during an episode of terminal boredom, I popped off 530 pics with a Fuji S5000 powered by 4 2200 mAH NiMH AAs, and still had a lot of ammo left in the cells based on the amount of time it took to force complete discharge of the batteries on a Maha C204F conditioning charger.

If looking for a top gun smart charger, I'd suggest consideration of Maha's MH-C401FS fast/slow flex pulse charger.

A credible source of Maha kits and advice on battery/charger selection can be found at Thomas Distributing.

dar77777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by korn:
What about using the scroll keys on the keyboard instead? left-right and up-down?
Because it's much easier and faster to scroll with the mouse. The scrolling is accelerated based on the speed you move your mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules