Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fed up with .mac mail : SPEAK UP!

Fed up with .mac mail : SPEAK UP! (Page 2)
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:

Err... NOW I believe you guys...
I get this several times daily. It is VERY annoying and considering that .Mac is a pay service and that Apple makes the email client this really shouldn't ever happen. I feel like Apple could make it so that Mail.app handles the problem more elegantly than popping up that dialog every time, even though the password is correct.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 09:58 PM

.Mac mail was down for a short while today, thus that window. Every time I have gotten the window, I've gone to check the webmail, and it is down for maintenance.

mogura
Apr 18, 2004, 11:13 PM

I also agree that this is the most annoying aspect to Apple's Mail application. However, I get this dialogue box more often with my ISP and work addresses then with my .Mac account.

It stops all further mail activity until you enter in the password that is already in your keychain, or you click cancel, which then takes the account offline; click the off line indicator once and everything (with that account) is ok again?!?

I've sent many a feedback to apple since 10.1 on this and Mail still acts like a moron.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 11:44 AM

Today for the first time I've started to get the pop up asking for my password.
In a previous post I mentioned I had never seen this. Never say never!

-Q-
Apr 19, 2004, 12:03 PM

I get that bloody problem all the time and I'm using POP in Entourage. And I have it set to check e-mail every 15 minutes.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 12:12 PM

I very rarely get that problem with dotMac - but I get it a lot with a very flaky different POP mail server.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 02:36 PM

My biggest complaint is the webmail. I have troubles logging in about 1/3rd of the time - it will take 3 log in attempts to get in, or not even load the webmail front page.... If I had paid for it i would more pissed....

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 02:40 PM

I host my own mail server on my home machine using Postfix. It's not completely easy, or entirely cheap (you need a domain name and DNS servers, probably ones that are dynamic), but I get a simple email like [email protected], I have unlimited email storage, and it's just pretty cool. And I save $100 a year.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 05:01 PM

there are tons of messages on apple's .mac mail help boards about it. they are apparently upgrading stuff and that is causing the periodic glitches. but i am starting to get annoyed with it too, especially when combined with the increased amount of spam that is getting through the filters.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 07:11 PM

Hmm, I very rarely have the mail problems indicated... Guess I'm lucky. I also haven't been getting much junk mail lately (knocks on wood). Just the same, as my .mac renewal date nears I'm wondering once again if I should just dump the service... but switching to another e-mail account would be a pain, and I like having an iDisk though I wish it was faster. Also, 100MB of storage and 15MB for e-mail is pretty measly nowadays, I think they should expand that.

If I find a place I can pay maybe $25 a year for a permanent account with web and IMAP access then I may jump to that. Yahoo! only allows pop access I think, and Hotmail only works with Outlook/Entourage (plus it's spam city).

imikeDotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 01:15 PM

I've noticed this same problem with Apple's servers going down, normally once a day. I keep wondering why the "regular maintenance" can't happen in the late hours when users are less likely to need to access their email (not just from Mail.app, but also through webmail.mac.com).
As Socially Awkward Solo mentioned, "I HATE the fact that it has ZERO spam filtering", the sudden increase of SPAM through .Mac has finally convinced me to stop paying for this "free for life email".

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by imikeDotMac:
I've noticed this same problem with Apple's servers going down, normally once a day. I keep wondering why the "regular maintenance" can't happen in the late hours when users are less likely to need to access their email (not just from Mail.app, but also through webmail.mac.com).
Problem is that there are no "late hours" on the Internet. People all over the world in probably darn near every time zone use .mac mail. What would be convenient for you while you are sleeping would be inconvenient for those .mac users in Australia, for instance.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 03:25 PM

To those who have not experienced the problems:

has it ever occured to you that the .mac service is provided from more than one server? Your specific server is probably determined by your username. So those of you who accuse the rest of us of being whiners, give it a thought before dismissing other peoples experience of the .mac service.
I have been in IT since the first IBM PC. My experience with .mac service is far beneath par compared to other services I have used!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 02:18 PM

So does this appear to be a .mac problem, or a Mail.app problem? It would be nice to nail it down.

I am thinking it might be both, since many friends I have switched to the Mac have trouble with Mail, and I hear a lot of you complaining about the .mac webmail. I rarely check my .mac thru Safari so I do not have much input on the reliability of webmail access off .mac.

I will be keeping my .mac service because I really like the iSync, Backup, and Homepage features so easily integrated. I have changed email addresses so many times that I don't want to put my people in my Address Book through another change, as I just told them all to start using my .mac address permanently.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

This is one of those things that drives me up the wall. It's especially frustrating when I am at work and absolutely need access to that email account and can't access it via Webmail or Mail.app.

It has been happening for months. If it isn't resolved come October (when its time to renew), I will just move my mail to my domain and be done with it.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Moose
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by imikeDotMac:
[...] has finally convinced me to stop paying for this "free for life email".
Okay, kids. Repeat after me:

Apple never ever ever ever said "free for life." The phrase was "yours for life."

GordX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2004, 12:28 PM

Is anyone else finding mac.com and apple.com and several other domains unreachable today? I haven't been able to check mail for over six hours now.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 01:04 PM

I haven't been able to access the .mac SMTP server for a couple days now. Luckily I can still my college's server, but still, it's very annoying.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 11:28 AM

I keep getting an error -36 everytime i try to connect to my idisk, mail won't go online, so i have to check it at apple's .mac mail site
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules