Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When did the quality of Linksys product drop like a stone?

When did the quality of Linksys product drop like a stone?
starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2004, 11:57 AM

Wow.

What was supposed to be a 1/2 hour update turned into a 12 hour excursion into HELL.

Simply put - I had to update 8-port Cable/DSL router since the firmware hadn't been updated in 2 years and the VPN packets wouldn't work with it. So, the logical choice would be to get the Cable/DSL VPN Router. The problem is, it wouldn't get an IP address from my cable modem. What's worse is that it would give the computers their DHCP IP addresses (192.168.1.10x), but wouldn't allow me to see past the router - including the web support server on the cable modem (192.168.100.1). Updated the firmware, still no good. Brought it back and got a new one. Same problem. Updated the firmware again. Didn't work. Called Linksys and got one of those cheaply-paid support people from Bangalore or somewhere who was helpful, but put me on hold and then disconnected me. Great. Brought it back and got the Wireless G VPN. Damn fine looking unit.

That got the IP address just fine so I thought I was in the clear. However, the setup utiility couldn't find the thing on the network. Why, I don't know. The same thing happened with my PC and the Linksys wireless bridge (that finally did work). Then other odd things happened: setting the DMZ machine locked up the router after a self-reboot, VPN packets wouldn't pass through properly, you can't set the port of the remote admin web server - you're forced to use 80 or 8080, and other things that caused the unit to lock up badly.

I took it back and stuck with the wireless G I had all along (WRT54G). Oddly enough, updating the firmware on that allowed my VPN to work. I didn't want to use that orignially since I had to move it from the center of the house to my computer room which will now cause my wireless access on the deck to be much lower. Maybe I'll get a signal booster.

Either way, I'm hideously disappointed in Linksys. It's a shame since I praised them for many years.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 12:35 PM

Sorry to hear about all that trouble...I always use Netgear stuff and have never had a problem with it. If you're still looking, you may want to try some of their stuff.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 12:39 PM

I've never had a problem with mine.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 12:44 PM

My little Linksys has been running without a hitch... Can't say the same for my cable modem.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

I had one 3 years ago that gave me nothing but trouble. It crashed every 1-4 days needing a restart. Half that time when I reset all the setting were lost.

I replaced it with Netgear and it crashes maybe once every 4 months.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea

Linksys products have always sucked IMO.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran

Ever since they got the Cisco logo.

ink
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 04:04 PM

When?

Since Cisco bought them. They want to kill the low-end market.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 04:33 PM

I use Asanta, since September. works flawlessly, and supports Native AppleTalk (not Appletalk over TCP/IP).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
I use Asanta, since September. works flawlessly, and supports Native AppleTalk (not Appletalk over TCP/IP).
My parents' Linksys WRT54G works fine with AppleTalk. I was able to go over there and print wirelessly from a PowerBook to a LaserWriter IIg (made c. 1991, so I don't think it supports AppleTalk over IP) which was connected to the Linksys. Seemed to work great...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Link
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 08:45 PM

I have a cheap hawking switch - never had a prob
Aloha

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Linksys products have always sucked IMO.
Agreed. People praise them because they practically just have to plug them in to set them up. I haven't had any problems with Netgear equipment yet.

imikeDotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 10:03 PM

Has anyone had Netgear problems regarding Airport support? My roommate's Netgear router drops Airport connections after only a few hours.... I am tied down to the router through ethernet because it's so flaky. I was having this same discussion today, with my roommate's brother who has the same Netgear wireless router and it drops his Powerbook all the time, but it never drops any peecees on the network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules